S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSD, Future is looking bright ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 12:44 AM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Cambo, I thought I was done bothering you, but...

I read up (most of) the posts on that thread where, in March 2013, you fitted the Quaife. I saw this comment:

As it turns out, it was a very good idea to go for the bearing & seal kit. The pinion bearing was pretty badly scored and would probably have started making a lot of noise fairly soon.

Why then did you say "If I were to do it again, I'd leave the pinion alone".

....and did TL Jaguar supply all bearings, seals and kits for the job, or did you source all these items separately?

Old 10-06-2015, 01:39 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Because the guy that rebuilt the diff for me in Switzerland re-used the collapsible washer and over-tightened the pinion nut which destroyed the new pinion bearings after only 15'000kms and I had to get a complete diff from a wrecker in the US sent over and refit the Quaife centre to that one after the car was imported to Australia i.e. I've had to do it twice. 2nd time round I had the guy here just swap the center and leave the pinion alone.

TL supplied all the bearings and seals but they did not include a new collapsible washer & nut.

The following 3 users liked this post by Cambo:
Panthro (01-19-2016), paydase (03-01-2017), Robinb (10-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 07:17 PM

Was that because without the collapsible washer to guide him, the guy tightend to a torque beyond even the new bearing spec?

Pinion bearing preload (used pinion bearings) ... 0.9 - 1.5 Nm (8 - 14 inch lbs.)
Pinion bearing preload (new pinion bearings)..... 1.8 - 3.3 Nm (16 - 29 inch lbs.)

Finally (I think) was there any significant change to the OEM ratio of 2.87:1 that required some reprogramming?

Old 10-06-2015, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Robinb
Was that because without the collapsible washer to guide him, the guy tightend to a torque beyond even the new bearing spec?
Yes it would seem that he did it "by feel" not following the spec.

Finally (I think) was there any significant change to the OEM ratio of 2.87:1 that required some reprogramming?
Changing the diff center from open to LSD has not effect on the diff ratio. If you re-use your existing diff gears then no programming needed.

The following users liked this post:
Robinb (10-06-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 06:01 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I will get the LSD from Quaife on monday and revert to you with pictures and descriptions

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (10-18-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 02:00 PM
Default No LSD for me

Cambo, I'm not in your class as a Jag tech, nor do I seem to have your drive and determination. I am going to abandon the LSD project for my STR, based on the following:

1.. The Quaife UK catalog shows the QFD3W as suitable for the 2003-2008 S-type, but the Quaife USA catalog does not.

2.. Quaife UK says I must deal with Quaife USA, leaving me to buy an item that does not exist.

3.. Alternatively, Quaife UK says "I would advise contacting our distributor XKR Transmissions who have experience in fitting our differentials to Jaguars who will be able to confirm this is the right differential.". So not even Quaife is sure!

4.. The local Quaife dealer here says "We can supply the differential unit, but have none of the tooling or information to install it in your Jaguar. Quaife doesn't list an ATB for your application. The part number you provided was for a 2006+ XK-R.".

... and after some clarification, the local Quaife dealer again:

"The differential would consist of the complete differential unit, except you would have to transfer the ring gear from the original and set the ring / pinion depth (special tools / equipment required).

The only other question is whether the European application / market vehicle has the same differential as the North American one that you have. If they are 100% the same and Quaife can confirm it for you, then the part should logically work for your car. Unfortunately, I cannot confirm that for you.".

This combination of expense, uncertainty and inability to instal and locally support the LSD is just too much. I mean, the cost could easily exceed 30% of the value of the car. It don't sound good and it don't sound hopeful.

Cambo, really appreciate your constant help and advice, and prompt answers to all my questions. Look forward to hearing how crocodile62 makes out.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:13 PM

Wow, that's kind of unbelievable... they sure know how to talk themselves out of business...

I am going to abandon the LSD project for my STR, based on the following:

1.. The Quaife UK catalog shows the QFD3W as suitable for the 2003-2008 S-type, but the Quaife USA catalog does not.
But they are the same diff...

2.. Quaife UK says I must deal with Quaife USA, leaving me to buy an item that does not exist.
You can buy it from one of the UK agents, Tom Lenthall or Racing Green.

3.. Alternatively, Quaife UK says "I would advise contacting our distributor XKR Transmissions who have experience in fitting our differentials to Jaguars who will be able to confirm this is the right differential.". So not even Quaife is sure!
They are pushing you back to a US distributor, but you don't have to deal with them, get a quote from one of the UK guys I mentioned.

4.. The local Quaife dealer here says "We can supply the differential unit, but have none of the tooling or information to install it in your Jaguar. Quaife doesn't list an ATB for your application. The part number you provided was for a 2006+ XK-R.".
In other words they've never done it before, so they don't know. Some of us do know, from first hand experience.

The only other question is whether the European application / market vehicle has the same differential as the North American one that you have. If they are 100% the same and Quaife can confirm it for you, then the part should logically work for your car. Unfortunately, I cannot confirm that for you.".
The 8" Gen2 diff is absolutely the same regardless of which market.

Here is the Quaife QDF3W fitted to the diff from my XJR.

LSD, Future is looking bright ;-)-img_7256.jpg

It fits!

This combination of expense, uncertainty and inability to instal and locally support the LSD is just too much. I mean, the cost could easily exceed 30% of the value of the car. It don't sound good and it don't sound hopeful.
As I mentioned, the other option is to get a complete diff and driveshafts from a 4.0L S-Type V8, fit a generic Ford 8.8" 28-spline LSD center, but you will have to transfer the gears from your diff to it to keep the factory ratio.

But you would still need to find a competent workshop to do the work. Honestly this would be my greater concern. The parts all fit together, no doubt about that at all, but the quality of the installation makes or breaks the deal...

Old 01-07-2016, 02:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello!

I will be buying an LSD soon so if someone wants to join the order please let me know. I will go probably with Paramount Performance since they clearly state that the quaife fits STR 2003.

Jaguar S Type R Limited Slip Differential - Internal Diff Components for assembly to fit Jaguar S Type R

I will ask them to provide the seals and bearings as well even to the pinion just in case my diff is in a bad condition...

I will send an email to Tom as well and ask his prices as well. Probably there is not a big difference.

-Tama

Old 04-20-2016, 02:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Tama. How's the LSD fitment going? You done it yet or is it still in the pipeline?