S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lurching

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lurching

I have seen a few comments about this issue but looking for input. When taking off from a signal or from a full stop if I dont gradually take off it seems to jerk or lurch forward in a not so smooth manner. Is this a common issue with the STR ?
Thanks, Jeff

Old 01-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

http://www.thelurch.com/
This will have some info on the issue.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

the search works

Old 01-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffzm
I have seen a few comments about this issue but looking for input. When taking off from a signal or from a full stop if I dont gradually take off it seems to jerk or lurch forward in a not so smooth manner. Is this a common issue with the STR ?
Thanks, Jeff
Yup... Be careful pulling out of a parking lot onto a busy street... Sometimes you'll hit the "go" pedal and it will think about it for a moment...

Old 01-09-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Riski
the search works
I know ! But if all used search what would we post about ? and maybe there are updates from old posts.
Thanks for the tip Riski, I knew someone had to say it.
Jeff

Old 01-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

A research attempt (with a forum search) is better than no attempt...regurgitation can sometimes be painful. I used to get frustrated.

But, over the last year, with the FAQ threads being added and our members directing traffic (aka, newbies) where it needs to go, I've seen very little repeat threads, at least not TOTALLY...w/o any new content or spin.

So in that regards, the 'the search works' reply hasn't been used very often. I think riski just missed saying it. lol

Old 01-13-2011, 10:50 PM

I havent been posting much this past week cause all the questions I have I just go to search and I get the info. needed, Thanks for the tip.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:44 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

For those threads/posts that help solve your problems, remember to 'thank' them with the new gratitude feature we installed. If your situation is any different, or you find new tips or advice, that is always appreciated too.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:59 PM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

FYI: The dealer can perform a service to reprogram the computer. They have to do it with a laptop and dealer software. I had mine done 1,000 miles ago under warranty. It fixed it, now it's back. We have terrible traffic (and I work in sales) in South Florida..I am almost thinking its impossible to get rid of. I will take it back one more time to see if they can program it again.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:49 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Jeff, there is a recall called J004, this basically reflashes the transmission. Again, not warranty, but a recall. My 05' was covered under it. Below is from the service receipt.

"PERFORMED JOO4 OP D. PROGRAM ECU AND TCM (DONT USE SPORT MODE BEFORE 200 MILES)"

You can also reset the tranny by disconnecting the battery I believe, havent done it, just read about it on here. I would call your dealer first and see if you qualify for this J004. Mine shifts buttery smooth, but I may be developing a slight issue JUST before the vehicle stops completely. I need new pads, and they are quite grabby so I cant figure out if its a last minute gear change or if its the brakes.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by vance580
http://www.thelurch.com/
This will have some info on the issue.

Wow I had never seen that one before. That guy is crazy/amazing to document all of that stuff. If I had a real POS lemon I would simply sell it and move on with my life. I do appreciate that he is holding Jaguar accountable though. Thankfully my car doesn't have too many of those issues, no lurch, no leaking water. It does have the whining rear diff and squeaky brakes though. But since the car is older and paid for I can live with it.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,549 Likes on 3,958 Posts

You CANNOT reset the tranny by disconnecting the battery.

I understand J004 is basically an emissions recall for USA only.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
Wow I had never seen that one before. That guy is crazy/amazing to document all of that stuff. If I had a real POS lemon I would simply sell it and move on with my life. I do appreciate that he is holding Jaguar accountable though. Thankfully my car doesn't have too many of those issues, no lurch, no leaking water. It does have the whining rear diff and squeaky brakes though. But since the car is older and paid for I can live with it.
The funny thing is its more of a ZF thing cause I bookmarked that link back when I was researching some stuff for my Audi that I had. It had a ZF transmission different model and it had lurching and hunting problems. I find it interesting that 2 different model ZF transmissions do the same exact thing. The bad thing is when you rebuild the Audi's trans you werent even guarenteed that it was gonna go away. There is a guy on the Audi boards that works for ZF and rebuilds then he is supposed to be the best for working on ZF trans and he has tried everything to get it to stop on the Audis and it will go away if you get him to rebuild it but he says there is always a chance it will come back later on in the trans' life. He says also that when it starts doing it you should change out the fluid and filter which is what I did and it was smooth again. Sealed for life my butt. If you switch out the fluid early enough for it to do any damage you should be good.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Old 01-19-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by jagv8
You CANNOT reset the tranny by disconnecting the battery.

I understand J004 is basically an emissions recall for USA only.
Negative, J004 resets the tranny on top of other things and OP is from California so it would be relevent is his case. My initial response has a quote directly off of my service bill, and a few months back there were multiple posts/threads about this.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is that all you ever post lol

Old 01-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bull27
Negative, J004 resets the tranny on top of other things and OP is from California so it would be relevent is his case. My initial response has a quote directly off of my service bill, and a few months back there were multiple posts/threads about this.
Sorry. Yes, it would also reset the tranny (the TCM).

However, it does not apply to his (Jeff's) car as his is too new.

He could, however, just have the ZF adaptions cleared and relearned.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
Sorry. Yes, it would also reset the tranny (the TCM).

However, it does not apply to his (Jeff's) car as his is too new.

He could, however, just have the ZF adaptions cleared and relearned.
How much does a dealer charge for this if he doesnt qualify for it under the J004? This is "supposedly" the ANSWER and FIX for the lurch but from what I've read, it is only temporary. I never had it before I had the reflash and now I believe I have a very slight one just before a creep to a complete stop. It has been about 8-10 months since mine was reflashed and the symptom started about 2 months back. Pisses me off tremendously.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Tec Nine
is that all you ever post lol
Who and what?

Old 01-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bull27
How much does a dealer charge for this if he doesnt qualify for it under the J004? This is "supposedly" the ANSWER and FIX for the lurch but from what I've read, it is only temporary. I never had it before I had the reflash and now I believe I have a very slight one just before a creep to a complete stop. It has been about 8-10 months since mine was reflashed and the symptom started about 2 months back. Pisses me off tremendously.
There are people who've had a reflash and been OK for 2-3 years or more, and others where the lurch comes back. I've seen someone post that the reflash was done 3 times and has been OK since the last time. Now, was the identical reflash done (same new calibration etc) each time? Who knows! The dealers don't exactly describe fully what was done so we're left wondering.

There are times I'd love to get my hands on IDS!! Not least, to see if it's true that the adaptions can be cleared without having to reflash (and how long it takes).

If it needs a reflash and if they take the car out to do the adaptions as they are now supposed to do (something that wasn't originally possible with older versions of IDS or WDS), then it'll take a while and they need a driver + a tech with IDS as they drive. But how long? And what's a fair cost? (Inquiring minds want to know.)

Anyone with an elm327 I can tell you how to (safely!) find the calibrations (software versions) you have now. Various OBD tools will also tell you.

Last edited by JagV8; 01-20-2011 at 02:03 PM.

Quick Reply: lurching