S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow hi-flow cats...WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

TTWOTEES, before the rear axle are a pair of 12" Dynomax glasspacked tube mufflers (2 1/2" core, free flow design) used as resonators. Then come the Magnaflow's. Without the Dynomax glasspack's the noise level would most probably be too much for my personal tastes. If I replace the Magnaflows with Walker Dynomax Super Turbo's (two glasspacked chambers), the sound level will decrease a notch.

Last edited by bfsgross; 08-27-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
LOL! Hey George, I bailing wired the gas pedal for all these months and had the donor installed the other day. What a difference the new (formerly new) gas pedal feels (not kidding). I swear the original gas pedal was on the way out prior to meeting me.
If you've heard a DOHC 32 valve Mustang Cobra with Bassani X-pipe and flow through mufflers...this is how my STR sounds. It's a chilling-thriling bark during hard acceleration, considerably quiets down when off the gas or during cruise. When cruising at 75 mph and the pedal is depressed enough to cause a kick down the bark comes out again till an upshift or relaxing the pedal. The increase in throttle response and power is amazing too. Though I love it for short trips I'm not sure how long I can go with such an aggressive note during long hauls. To quiet her down a notch, I may replace the Magnaflow mufflers with a pair of Dynomax Mufflers (2 baffles) that I have laying around. At 49 with thinning hair I'm beginning to be concerned of my identity. If your considering opening up your MB exhaust with a similar system, think about your listening comfort zones first. I definitely recommend hi-flo cats and an x-pipe but choose the muffler accordingly.
Yeah I hear you... I'm thinking about doing an intake or something in it... Something to give it a bit of a growl and a more authoritative tone... I think the loud exhaust rapping off would be a bit much on a car like that. Especially with the top down. I'm 15 years younger than you, and thank god all the hair is still hanging on, although it's graying... but the point remains.

George

Old 08-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

George, As for exhaust concerns; high flow cats and an x-pipe may be all you'll need for more power and growl. With the stock exhaust remaining after the hi-flow cats and x-pipe I bet you'll be pleased with power without an overbearing sound. Let us know what's up.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:29 AM
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Though on thursday I'll take a peek at the stock cats; when visually comparing stock cats vs hi-flo cats you'll see a demonstrable difference in the size and transparency of the core. I've peeked in good working order stock cats and wondered how exhaust gases were able to escape. The Magnaflow cats are a short step away from a flow through muffler design if you get my drift. That's how "unclogged" or open they are. California forbids highflow cats. I know for sure the Magnaflows are not allowed to be installed there. Lets not forget: Anyone who's installed hi-flow cats are almost always surprised by the resultant immense loss of restriction compared to stock.
On a "Well how does she move?" note: Driving the 42 miles to the office today was a hoot. The newfound crisp and quick throttle reponse and "git up and go" was almost too intoxicating. I found it almost unbearable not to mash the pedal and see what she'll do, held back by a worn and slipping blower belt that squeals under full throttle. Imagine what is to be gained when its replaced along with a 1.5 pulley next week. From a dead start the right rear tire instantly lights up when stabbing the throttle! I know there's ney sayers here that will contest what I write next, but I might as well give away now my response to those who doubt me, so here it goes: "Your STR is out of tune. You need a new fuel filter, air filter, plugs, the cats are clogged, you need a less restrictive exhaust, you need to clear out stored/learned "old fogy" adaptive driving from ECU! I'll bet she'll do noticeably better than Jaguars 5.3 seconds 0-60. I'm guessing 5.0 or lower. And now I'm much more confident in the event of a stop light brawl. I'll try to get pics and a sound track.
@bfsgross

Why did you choose to use the Dynomax afterburners instead of staying Magnaflow
all the way ?

Old 08-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

ttwotees, I've had both, a set of Dynomax Super Turbos and Magnaflows laying around from my X-Type 3.0 build. The Magnaflows are still on and coupled with Magnaflow's hi-flow cats and x-pipe, they emit the most beautiful raspy bark you'll ever hear, sort of a mixture of American and European V8 exhaust thunder...A intoxicating sound and power increase that begs ya to remain in the car and cruise till the tires fall off. However, I drive 85 round trip highway miles so I'm still waiting it out and see if I become completely comfortable living with the immediate bark emitted from a dead start stomp and heavy throttle downshift at cruise. While cruising she's suprisingly quiet, testament to the now very free flowing of exhaust gases. ttwotees, I'm still feeling her out. The 1.5 pulley is going on early next week rather than this weekend. Let's see how things go. If I should tire of the raised exhaust note while cruising I'll switch her over to the Dynomax Super Turbos. How's things doing with your STR's Snake Bite?

Old 08-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

ttwotees, I've had both, a set of Dynomax Super Turbos and Magnaflows laying around from my X-Type 3.0 build. The Magnaflows are still on and coupled with Magnaflow's hi-flow cats and x-pipe, they emit the most beautiful raspy bark you'll ever hear, sort of a mixture of American and European V8 exhaust thunder...A intoxicating sound and power increase that begs ya to remain in the car and cruise till the tires fall off. However, I drive 85 round trip highway miles so I'm still waiting it out and see if I become completely comfortable living with the immediate bark emitted from a dead start stomp and heavy throttle downshift at cruise. While cruising she's suprisingly quiet, testament to the now very free flowing of exhaust gases. ttwotees, I'm still feeling her out. The 1.5 pulley is going on early next week rather than this weekend. Let's see how things go. If I should tire of the raised exhaust note while cruising I'll switch her over to the Dynomax Super Turbos. How's things doing with your STR's Snake Bite?
If you are looking to get rid of any of that extra exhaust stuff you got laying around let me know. I'm on a tight budget right now seeing as I wont be working after Thanksgiving due to getting out of the Marine Corps, so my modding is on hold except for a few cheap cosmetic stuff. If you are wanting to get rid of anything extra at a reasonable price I may be able to squeeze in a few things. My mods will be getting bought next year after I've settle in my new place. So for now if I can get stuff used I'll pick it up and just gonna stick to doing regular scheduled maintenance.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a set of NIB Hi-Flow stainless cats...2 1/2"....90 bucks shipped.....

Old 08-29-2010, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member

vance, I'll let you know what happens, if it happens, that I switch mufflers. My decision is coming soon so one of them will be yours (Magnaflows or the Dynomax Super Turbos). You can have em for free, just pay for shipping. Out of the Marine Corps? From 04 to 06 I lived in Hampstead, 30 miles south of Camp Lejune, NC. Miss the beaches, etc. Thank you for serving our country.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

vance, I'll let you know what happens, if it happens, that I switch mufflers. My decision is coming soon so one of them will be yours (Magnaflows or the Dynomax Super Turbos). You can have em for free, just pay for shipping. Out of the Marine Corps? From 04 to 06 I lived in Hampstead, 30 miles south of Camp Lejune, NC. Miss the beaches, etc. Thank you for serving our country.
Thanks I would definitly take them for that. I've been to Hampstead a few times and the beaches there are really nice. I live out sorta close to Richlands cause I like being out in the country some. Still make some trips to the beaches though. I actually had a platoon commander that lived in Hamstead. I didnt get here till 07 so we most likely didnt run into each other. LOL. I wont be going to far from the beaches, the wife loves the beach so we are moving to Florida since we got some family there and wont be too far from one. I'm originally from Michigan and with there bad economy and the winters I think I'm up for something different.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member

I'll let ya know soon wether I'll send the Magnaflows or the Dynomax Super Turbos.