S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

major trans issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default major trans issues

hi, I came up with a code p0775 and I have replaced the solenoid pack in the trans. I also took out the valve body and inspected and replaced the 4-3 prestroke spring as a precaution. now the car drives 10 times worse, trans slips delayed shift etc. Where do I look next? Can't figure out what went wrong..Please help

Old 09-21-2011, 07:17 PM

Come on guys somebody has to know something

Old 09-21-2011, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

I have no answer but you will increase your odds of receiving an answer if you list which transmission you have...

Old 09-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacardi 151
I have no answer but you will increase your odds of receiving an answer if you list which transmission you have...

and what year vehicle and so on and so forth.........

Old 09-22-2011, 06:53 AM
Received 161 Likes on 56 Posts

31 posts and still no vehicle info in sig?

Click the User CP link top left of page. Then click Edit Signature link on left side of page.

Last edited by SchultzLD; 09-22-2011 at 06:56 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:48 AM

Thanks for pointing that out..just updated the signature

Old 09-22-2011, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Ok Megadog. Assuming you have a ZF trans.: 1. Did you replace the the correct amount of ZF trans. fluid (approx. 6.5 quarts Safe Gaurd) whilst performing the proper refill procedure? 2. Did you perform a hard-reset of the ECU and drive her in "Normal" trans. mode for at least 100 miles? 3. Did you replace the often faulty internal crossover tube (protects the TCM wireing harness)? 4. Check all connectors, etc.? Go back and check over your work. We'll work this out.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:06 AM

Thanks for responding. I have the 5r55n ford trans. I replaced the solenoid twice and the 4-3 pre stroke valve spring for the heck of it..I talked to the ebay guy I bought the solenoid from and he thinks I igot a second bad solenoid but I have my doubts about that. I tried to drive the car for awhile but it's virtually undrivable, so I am at the point now that I may put the old parts back in atleast to get me back to where it wasn't that bad and drivable

Old 09-22-2011, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Good idea. Perhaps find a decent trans. guy.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:32 AM

I believe i have isolated the problem, so I put the old solenoid back in and I am back to where it atleast not very bad. So I guess the second solenoid is bad as well? I mean what are the chances of 2 bad parts in a row? I wonder if they really rebuild these things

Old 09-22-2011, 08:54 PM

So thats what I get here...go and get a good trans guy. Figures...maybe I wll go to the thread "poor quality jag" and talk mindless stuff because that seems thats what goes on alot here...excluding "joycesjag" he actually helped

Last edited by megalosdog; 09-22-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:57 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

easy megadog, for a 2day old thread, you're not doing bad, no need to run off other potential member replies with those comments. I actually took the transmission guy statement as advice when you.ve exhausted all of your DIY options.

now do you want to hear what I have to contribute to your thread? you may find it interesting to know that I'm at the very same place as you are - same code too. I'm working on my mother's 2002 lincoln LS with the ford 5r55n transmission.

I replaced the solenoid pack with a rebuilt unit, same Pcode and a random check transmission message.

I purchaseda used valve body, replaced S1 thru S6 springs, and installed a new VB gasket (read they can blow/leak/fail) along with a new pressure switch. I'll be swapping valve bodies this weekend, hoping it finally fixes it. if not, i'm going to try a 'new' OEM solenoid pack, and if that proves futile, she's going to sell it.

I'll let you know how this diagnosis plays out. You should try a new pack while I try my re-springed/re-gasketed valve body.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by H20boy
easy megadog, for a 2day old thread, you're not doing bad, no need to run off other potential member replies with those comments. I actually took the transmission guy statement as advice when you.ve exhausted all of your DIY options.

now do you want to hear what I have to contribute to your thread? you may find it interesting to know that I'm at the very same place as you are - same code too. I'm working on my mother's 2002 lincoln LS with the ford 5r55n transmission.

I replaced the solenoid pack with a rebuilt unit, same Pcode and a random check transmission message.

I purchaseda used valve body, replaced S1 thru S6 springs, and installed a new VB gasket (read they can blow/leak/fail) along with a new pressure switch. I'll be swapping valve bodies this weekend, hoping it finally fixes it. if not, i'm going to try a 'new' OEM solenoid pack, and if that proves futile, she's going to sell it.

I'll let you know how this diagnosis plays out. You should try a new pack while I try my re-springed/re-gasketed valve body.
Finally..Thank you....i will replace the solenoid one more time. If it doesnt work then I guess go the valve body route (maybe its warped)...please let me know how it goes and thanks again for responding...sorry for the crap comments ...just getting at the end of my rope with this trans.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,564 Likes on 3,968 Posts

Just to pour petrol on flames..... it's not really fair to say "finally" after 2 days, especially when you left out vital details.

After 2 weeks? Yeah, if you like. Bear in mind people here are all volunteers AFAIK.

Did you look up the code in the jag codes file? Have you checked the other possible causes listed?

Old 09-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member

Megalosdog, I understand you're frustrated. I mentioned a professional assessment/rebuild of your tranny due to you coming up empty handed after each swap-in of a part. It'll all pan-out. Hang in there.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:53 PM

Yes I have the code (pressure control solenoid b) the second solenoid I put in had the same problem, The replacement I got (the third) was totally screwed and the car wasn't drivable. so I put back in the second one and I am I atleast back to square one to where I can drive.soooI'm going to try a third next week and if It's still screwed upI may leave it alone or just take it in atleast for an diagnosis..It really isnt that bad but its bugging me...sorry about my earlier post I was just frustrated...thanks..will report back soon, I think this ebay guy is selling junk parts though for real

Old 09-23-2011, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

If it's not an elec. short maybe one of these is useful

Shift kit for 5R55N (and 5R55W and 5R55S) Ford Lincoln Mercury Shift Kits
5R55N transmission parts,Ford 5R55N transmission parts
www.stangpit.com/wp-content/images/docs/s197-tsb/09-12-12.pdf Ford 5R55N transmission

edit: in case you don't know, the jag OBD tool can command the solenoids individually (but check the dealer actually knows how rather than assuming they do if you plan on going there)

The box is quite common so any good trans place should be able to cope with the box - but likely not the car as a whole, as they tend to stick to what they know.

Just to help matters (er, or not), in the early S-Types - the ones with that box - the PCM controls both engine and trans.

Last edited by JagV8; 09-23-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the info..if this 3rd solenoid doesnt do it I'm just gonna take it in for a diag

Old 09-26-2011, 01:29 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Well, I swapped out the valve body, after replacing every spring offered by Sonnax, installed a new upper gasket (metal bonded one) and even a new gasket under the plate for the pressure sensor. Transmission shifts a little different, but that could be the new Sonnax springs influence, and guess what...the P0775 comes back up after only a few miles on the city streets.

I am really leaning towards the 'rebuilt' solenoid pack not actually being a working unit...I'm never buying another transmission part from that outfit in florida again, I can tell you that!

megalosdog, if you're new solenoid (new being OEM fresh ) works, then that's my last and only hope here.

Hey, if you want those other springs that you didn't change (S2 - S6), just PM me your address, I'll send you one...as I got a pack of 5 on each of them, and after I replace them in my mom's old valve body for resale, I'll have 3 extra of each. If you've got it apart, you might want to do the springs, but that means taking that thing out again, and I know it is not only messy, but it can take quite awhile to remove and replace it.

Best price I could find for a NEW replacement solenoid is $263 plus shipping, you have anything below that? Also, Sonnax offers their own rebuilt unit...$210 plus s/h. You feel like going that route?

Old 09-26-2011, 01:42 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe this helps: http://www.fordexplorerclub.ru/Alex/..._akpp_5r55.pdf

I googled for
P0775 5R55N

because P0 shows a generic (non-make/model-specific) code. Use real caution (*) doing this if you ever have a P1 code.

There are more articles in case another is more use.

(*) basically make sure any matches for P1 codes are the same make & model & model year car

Last edited by JagV8; 09-26-2011 at 01:45 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JagV8:
H20boy (09-27-2011), megalosdog (09-27-2011)

Quick Reply: major trans issues