Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Man I want a STR, BUT...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Man I want a STR, BUT...

I've loved the str when I first became part of this forum and learned of the car. So now that the x-type is gone and I am possibly in the market I've finally checked one out...The x-type had a tiny back seat and was really limiting. I thought the s-type was a bit bigger than the x but I was shocked how similar in size they actually are...so the story goes like this...

I recently got turned onto the idea of owning a cts v, don't get me wrong I love jag and all but the idea of owning a car like the str with a 6 speed is very very tempting, especially with similar price points.

So on my way back from my physical agility test and short interview with a PD I stopped by texascarsdirect. I checked out a s-type r and I loved it, until I got the front seat comfortable and proceeded to see what kind of room the back seat had. In all the reviews I've read I was for sure the str had a bigger back seat and legroom. I couldn't even sit in the back seat with my feet in the car. I was surely disappointed... I figured that in determining (if the wife would allow either one) the two cars I'd probably choose on overall interior room among other things. So right off I was kind of upset because I figured it would come down between the V and the STR just off of test driving but the though of not being able to fit the car seats in the car comfortably scares me![:@]

So I started looking at the xj's they had there and man did I love them. They had a 2005 xj8 LB vanden plas that was AWESOME, it had the flip down tray with headrest monitors....man that car is awesome. The legroom is insane in either front or back! I kind of wanted the R versions of jag though and the xjr doesn't have the features the long wheel base vanden plas would have not to mention my wife won't go for that...

From there I went to the cadillac dealer near me (sewell) to test drive a cts v. Initially I set up the front seat and checked on the rear and surprisingly the rear has enough room in the back for me to sit comfortably for a long ride so I was quite shocked. It's much easier to make a decision when you have less options so I was mad that they weren't the same or the V had less legroom. So I start the car (kind of sounds funny) and I'm kind of nervous because the most powerful stick I've ever driven was a vehicle that has a gvw of 40tons with 12 gears!

The other big one is a ford escape with a 2.0 liter and my uncle's toyota yaris that had a motor that put out less power than my 96 900rr! Even though his car had a half liter on my motor of the bike! LOL So needless to say I didn't know what to expect and played it safe. I drove slow shifted through the 6 gears and was putting along at 40mph at about 1400rpms...the thing was practically idling going down the road! The salesman said I could give it some gas if I wanted so I did and I had a nice grin on my face. I conceded though and talked him into showing me what it has...he eventually gave in and said nobody could know. We pull out of the spot I pulled into and he opens it up a bit and turned around and we started to head back toward the dealer and that's when he really opened it up. The thing was awesome...words can't really describe what it did.

I guess I'll just have to drive an str and see if I can get that same feeling or not. As for now though the 6speed, ability to upgrade and rear seat space have me leaning away from the str.

Anyways what do you str guys have to say?

Old 11-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Man I want a STR, BUT...

Great story aquill, that caddy is a missile, I don't know much about the str being a Jag newbie and all but I (and the others here) would sure hate to lose you. But sometimes you've got to do what right for you. Another great car with lots of rear leg room and great speed is the Nissan Maxima & Altima. For a while there the Max was the faster 4 door sprts car. Good luck to you!

Old 11-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

i dont know what hes thinking with comparing jaguar, esp an S type R to maxima and altima lol but i wouldnt go for the CTS v, that gear box and rear axle doesnt hold up well if you push the car, plus the interior is really cheap...dont let that loud american V8 make you think unreasonably lol texascarsdirect does have the best prices and selection since you are close but they are carring a lot less jaguars lately so they might be hit or miss, i might be looking to sell mine sooner then I thought If i start working this new full contract job. I personally am getting an XJ next 99% sure. I might even get a LWB as a 7 series replacement until i find an A8 i like, they are also slim pickins right now.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

The S8 is a mean son of a b*tch, If money where no object that would be my choice, because I am not a benz fan although I would not turn down an E55 or 65 either..

Old 11-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

bmw745ion19s - I did not "once" make a comparison between the s-type r and a maxima/altima - please tell me where you got that from so I can clear it up immediately. Sorry if I insulted you some how!

The OPkept referring to the need for a back seat. Both of the vehiclesmentioned have an abundant amount of power and luxury. My point was that the maxima/altima (more the max)has lots of front and rear leg room, it is amazing how much there is and plenty of power too! That's all I meant!

Let me know what you think!

Old 11-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

Quil...you already know what I gots to say. LOL! STR ALL THE WAY! Truthfully though, the only way to judge the STR is to actually go with the car seat and you'll see that the difference in rear leg room is minimal while getting the baby seat in and out. The CTS is BEAUT...but the lines on the car don't compare to those of a Jag.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my friend was going to get a G8 until we went for a test drive... he explicitly told the salesman... " It has to beat his jag." It was perky, but didn't come close.

I would dare say the Jag would out perform the Caddy, especially with handling.
Also, my other friend has a newer GTO and it took a cam, drag radial and exhaust to beat me at the strip.

Also, I'm 6'4" and me and 3 friends go places all the time. It does get tight but the front passengers have wayyy more legroom then you'd think.

Finally, for the kids, STR's come with car seat anchors... just food for though.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is getting quite interesting. I too am looking to switch from my 06 x-type to an 06 or 07 STR. So far, I've only seen 05's but I'm gonna hold out for an 06+.

CTS-V is much faster, roomier, powerful, etc ... but it doesnt have the class of aJag, IMO
I would rather have an E55/63 or M5 if I had to choose, or even an M3 sedan.

I'm leaning more towards the STR just for its exclusivity and class. Too many arrogant punks have E55's and M's in my neck of the woods.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:00 AM

I have two kids one in a car seat the other not and room is no issue for us. As far a a BMW M series, I had an M3 and it would have been interesting trying to fit a car seat back there, although I did manage to fit my sons car seat in the back seats of my old porsche 928 so any thing is possible.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:09 AM

ORIGINAL: JP10501

CTS-V is much faster, roomier, powerful, etc ... but it doesnt have the class of aJag, IMO
Did you read my last post??? The Caddy and GTO have the same enjina's in them.

So while it might be more roomier, the faster and powerful part is not true.

Based on Car and Driver 2008 models:
CTS-V - 469hp / 439tq - 4394lbs
STR - 400hp / 413tq - 4075lbs

So, buy the STR, upgrade the chip and drive circles around the CTS's.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

MidGaSTR that is the smartest thing you ever said!!!! Haha

Old 11-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the comments guys...I won't be leaving this site for sure...for sure for sure...I already sold the x-type back in the summer time and the only reason I'm actually looking for another car is that I'm on the hunt for a job, actually not a job my career. I've been a "domestic engineer" for the last almost 2 years, part of the reason I agreed with my wife to make the move to Texas was the fact that to get into criminal justice the requirements aren't as stringent as they are in Michigan. You can't get into any part of being a police officer in Michigan without having an associate's degree. Anyways so if I do get my career going I have to have another car again. I've been enjoying only getting raped on insurance for the one car, not to mention one car payment.

My wife threw out the idea of owning a gto because she feels it's a teenager car and she hates it??? The interior is actually quite nice. And I wouldn't mind one but the lack of 2 more doors kind of kills if we were to take the car on a road trip say back to Michigan. The mountaineer averaged about 16mpg roundtrip which sucks.

I had to get rid of my bike because we had a child on the way so I want something that is fun but can also be used for the family which is what steered me for the STR (other than the fact I've wanted one for a while.)

The write-up on the str vs. the v is actually surprising, they favored the jag over the cadi considering I didn't think anybody liked jags but us! LOL

I can't remember whether I said this or not but I called the local jag dealerships around here and they scare me(back when I was thinking of taking the car in to get worked on.) When I called them it wasn't a good experience so I'd hate to take it in if they can't handle a phone call. In Michigan I had 3 jag dealers nearly equally spaced from me and I could get to each one in less than 45 mins even in traffic so owning a jag would be gravy.

I happen to love the look of the str much much more than the v but the drivetrain of the v is incredibly enticing. They all have their problems and if I bought either it would have to have a factory warranty. So the differential problems and radiator problems of the v aren't a big deal to me. I actually found this local one that sounds interesting with a little over 11k miles.

As for the cars quickness the cadi should barely beat the str as far as acceleration. I really don't think I care too much about this I just want to have fun and I love the idea of shifting my own gears. Many of the owners love the v on race tracks so I don't think I am going to worry about the handling of either on a track.

mida-does your buddy have an auto or 6sp? The auto gto is quite a bit quicker than the 6sp for drag racing. What year gto too? From your statement I assume the car in question is a 6sp and he doesn't know how to drive??? (Not saying I do, because I don't! I let the salesman rag on the car.) From what I gathered from looking at the gto earlier this summer the gto should beat you stock. Remember I'm no GM fanboy I'm a ford guy, bang for the buck is what gets me.

I think the other problem I have with the str is I wouldn't be able to do too much to get it to stand out from the others. I can do the ecu that some have done as well as pulley and mufflers but that's about it. I wish there were more for us here in the states.

I'll have to drive both on the same day and see what happens, perhaps take them for a day. I'll post some pics of the str I looked at once I get my cell phone from the wifey.

Thanks again guys! Keep up the discussion this is fun! LOL

I wish the wife wasn't so picky too! I'd take the xj8 vanden plas in a heartbeat! They get better gas mileage than the 2 cars I'm considering, are huge interior, still is a jag, interior is to die for and last but not least did I mention it's huge inside????

Although I'm note even in my mid 20's yet and driving the xj would kind of look funny...wouldn't it??? [sm=helpout.gif]...either way though I probably wouldn't care.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

Here are the pics...

If you will notice the fogging on the inside of the headlight lens (wasn't actual condensation just dirty???)

Here's the interior of the vanden plas...it was reserved...I just checked they sold it as it's not on their site...

They had 2 str's when i went. They had a black one sitting outside but I never saw this one sitting anywhere...

I LOVE THAT COLOR!!! [sm=massbounce.gif]

Hey one quick question, why don't the str's have any form of fog lights? That was something I never realized until I was taking pics of it in person???

Old 11-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

Almost forgot anyone know a difference that the silver str has??? I have never liked a jag without it, but I LOVED THAT PART!!!

Old 11-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Man All I got to say about a STR is a high maintenance car if you got da money to fit one problem to another problem is a rite car for u I own a 03 STR the miles is already at 112xxx and my a/c still blows hot air, from this day I cant find out what the hell is wrong with it but i still love my Jag I'm not gonna give up on her she still turns head when she have a nice wash.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The silver STR has no leaper but a badge in it's place.

Oh yeah...buy the damn STR already!!! [8D][8D]

Old 11-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i do not want to be a party buster, but aquill, look into an xj. I might be selling my s to buy one soon. XJ8s are by far the most superb machines on the road. I test drove one 2 months ago and was blown away. Better resale value than the s and x, better in craftsmanship, and SPACE. My family went out last week in my Jag, it was so CRAMMED in the back seat!!!!!!

Aquill, look into the XJ8, 745i, S500. Those are flagship cars. I am 22 and would be more than happy to have a BIGBOY car rather than my little "civic" of a JAG!!! lol

Old 11-14-2008, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member

Nah I'm not a bmw guy, too much arrogance related to it. You see 4/5 bmw drivers being a typical bmw owner.

Mercedes- I hate Daimler so that is out of the question, that company is one of the shadiest in the world.

XJ8 I don't think will happen because of the wifey.

I must say I loved the look of the leaper-less jag! I love the leaper as anyone from the x-type area can attest to, but that supercharged emblem looked soooo much better![8D]

It's still STR vs. CTS-V...come on I thought you guys would have some mixed feelings! Thus far all I see is jag love! (nothing wrong with that btw!

Guess I find that more on the x-type side of things! LOL That and you guys are probably sick of my novels!

Old 11-15-2008, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member

I love both cars you want... The STR is great, but the amount of modifications you can make to it are limited.. The V is great, but they drive like sh*t and the interior looks like a plastic disaster... The Vs suspension is stiff and the ride is very rough and the steering feels very disconnected.. By disconnected I mean, when I turn the wheel I want something to happen immediately, and the V kinda hesitates, like all American cars do.. The major upside to the V is that there are tons of aftermarket parts available.. However the Jag comes very well refined from the factory.. If your looking for a grand touring type luxury car that can easily be modified to achieve 450hp and 500ft/lbs of torque the STR is it, no contest.. If your looking for a sports car trapped in the body of a Cadillac with endless possibilities for upgrades and if you can stroke the check, make it crank out 600+hp one day, the V is your car..

Basically it come down to this:

Pros for the STR:
-You can drive it around very satisfied without modifying anything.
-You will maybe see another on the road once a month, depending on where you live.
-Its comfortable, elegant, and exclusive.
-Its a Jaguar... that name carries some clout..
-The transmission shifts flawlessly.. sometimes you dont even notice its changing gears..
-You get to hear the blower whine every time you punch the gas.
-Superb handling, tight through turns, but wont kill you when you hit a speed bump.
-Very reliable ZF transmission.
-Quality materials and excellent workmanship.

Pros for the V:
-Its exciting to drive because of the 6 speed.
-You can upgrade it almost infinitely.
-Great NA motor with the extra displacement.
-More aggressive suspension if your not into the soft ride of the Jag.
-Parts are cheaper because its American.
-People aren't as jealous of a Cadillac as they are of a Jaguar.

Cons of the STR:
-Limited performance parts available.
-Repairs are expensive.. definitely invest in a aftermarket warranty.
-Frequent electrical issues.

Cons of the V:
-Very rough ride.
-Unreliable drivetrain.
-Lots of wheel hop under acceleration.
-There is a clutch that will eventually need to be replaced.
-Shifting the 6 spd. is somewhat difficult from what I have heard.
-On long trips and in traffic your going to wish you had the Auto back.
-Cheasy interior.
-They break differentials constantly.
-Workmanship, fit, and finish are not on par with a Jag.
-Watch this!

Old 11-15-2008, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member

-Oh yeah and when it comes time do do brakes on either its gonna be expensive... But hey, they're Brembos, who cares...

Quick Reply: Man I want a STR, BUT...