S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mass air meters... Anyone ever use a different one for the s type r?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Mass air meters... Anyone ever use a different one for the s type r?

Here's a thought that I don't know the answer to. Everyone knows that positive displacement blowers hate inlet restrictions. I believe this is partially why the inlet tube makes a good amount of power. But, ultimately we're limited by our 3" mass air meter.

Does anyone know anything about the mass air meter? Is it used in any other cars, ect? Perhaps if it is, maybe here are some hi-performance upgrades for the other cars that we can substitute on our cars.

Probably unlikely, but I thought I'd ask.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Good question. Stang dudes mess with MAF meters.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

I don't think it would be feasible without some sort of ECU tuning. I think there is only so much you can do on a drive by wire system to get more air in and the intake tube would probably be about it. I think the best way to get more power would be if there were a known quality ECU tune for the car.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:27 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by QuartzSTypeR
I don't think it would be feasible without some sort of ECU tuning. I think there is only so much you can do on a drive by wire system to get more air in and the intake tube would probably be about it. I think the best way to get more power would be if there were a known quality ECU tune for the car.
I have to agree, no MAF change without a supporting tune. On many cars now the same MAF sensor is used in a different housing. I know on my Crown Vic the normal Vics got a 70mm housing and the Police Interceptors got 80mm. At the same air flow the MAFS will read lower in the larger in the larger housing. Changes after the MAFS i.e. the intake elbow or throttle body are much more tolerated because the MAFS will be able to read the increased air flow corrected nd the ECU should be able to adjust for this, to a point of course.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

So long as the value the PCM sees from the sensor is right, it'll do its best with fuelling. You could read the sensor using a DVOM for various air flow rates and then change to a wider tube with a different sensor that creates the same values for the same mass of air. I doubt it's worth it, though!

Easier place to start is probably to fit pressure sensors before & after the MAF to see whether the current tube actually restricts the flow more than a tiny amount.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
So long as the value the PCM sees from the sensor is right, it'll do its best with fuelling. You could read the sensor using a DVOM for various air flow rates and then change to a wider tube with a different sensor that creates the same values for the same mass of air. I doubt it's worth it, though!

Easier place to start is probably to fit pressure sensors before & after the MAF to see whether the current tube actually restricts the flow more than a tiny amount.
I'm actually wanting to do something similar on the corvette to see how much of a restriction my air filter is on there. If I figure out/round up the equipment to do so, maybe I'll play with it on the jag also.