S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Message Center Display

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 06:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Message Center Display

I have a 2005 S Type R, recently had some work done and when I got it back I've noticed a couple of little "quirks" that are bothering me. On the message center where it used to read "Distance to Empty" now reads "Range". Seems kind of trivial but to me, nothing is trivial on my Jag. Also, the touch screen display doesn't seem to display the current station playing. Still displays the songs and artist but the actual call numbers on screen never change. Just misc. stations that I'm not listening too. The station will change when I touch one of the displayed stations, but they are always the same. Every thing else seem to be working fine. Well, except for navigation but I had that issue before the work and I'm pretty sure it needs a new disc player. I would appreciate any insight. Thanks.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Read the handbook.

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 07:34 PM
Received 8,132 Likes on 4,907 Posts

When I worked at the dealer I would get requests from customers for info on how to set the clock, change the displays or set radio stations.

I would find the owner's manual and copy the pertinent pages, then fold them and tuck them back into the owner's manual set on the seat!!!!

The service writer would come to me afterwards and tell me that the customer did NOT think it was funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I shrugged it off and said that if the customer was too lazy to RTFM then I was just trying to help find the info for them.

bob

NBCat (11-21-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Read the handbook.
I've read the handbook, the answer wasn't in there. Thats why I posted here. I was looking for an answer, not sarcasm.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:39 PM

If you can tell me a page number that tells you why a message would change from "distance to empty" to "range" I'll admit I was wrong, but its not there

Old 11-20-2017, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 595 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by dlnga
I've read the handbook, the answer wasn't in there. Thats why I posted here. I was looking for an answer, not sarcasm.
i don't think that was sarcasm . as it genuinely is in there !

mines 03 with a different display .
so i may be no help .
but it does say in my handbook to use the winker stalk button .

edit
sorry i've missed your punch line . i thought you meant to change functions.
but now i read it as the same function with a different banner .
did you try the (metric/imperial) / mls/kms button ? cant say ive seen that before.

Last edited by Datsports; 11-20-2017 at 01:03 AM.
dlnga (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,044 Likes on 1,443 Posts

Originally Posted by dlnga
recently had some work done...

"Distance to Empty" now reads "Range".
Who did the work? The dealer? What did they do?

I'm wondering if they ran some software upgrade. Maybe the latest and greatest version says "Range". Kind of curious, as both terms mean the same thing.

dlnga (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Datsports
i don't think that was sarcasm . as it genuinely is in there !

mines 03 with a different display .
so i may be no help .
but it does say in my handbook to use the winker stalk button .

edit
sorry i've missed your punch line . i thought you meant to change functions.
but now i read it as the same function with a different banner .
did you try the (metric/imperial) / mls/kms button ? cant say ive seen that before.
Thank you for understanding what I was asking. I have tried all the "change function" options and they all work fine and still display the same message as before.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by kr98664
Who did the work? The dealer? What did they do?

I'm wondering if they ran some software upgrade. Maybe the latest and greatest version says "Range". Kind of curious, as both terms mean the same thing.
I began to smell fuel in the car. So before taking it in, I did my research and found a recall for my car due to faulty fuel tanks. After quite a few emails and phone calls I obtained the records that the repairs had been done on my car in 2007. Replaced fuel tank and all the components and gaskets, everything. Then I read on here that others whose car also had been repaired were having the same issue. More phone calls and emails and then I found out that some of the earlier replacement gaskets were faulty and could eventually crack. Jesus. The local dealer closed here about 3 years ago but there is a very reputable automotive repair shop that is Jaguar certified and I had been using them until last summer when the I caught the service advisor in a lie, showed my *** and got a new AC system for free. Haven't been back since. This was the first time I took it to another repair shop. They claim to be Jaguar certified but I'm not so sure. I took it in to have the fuel filter changed hoping just maybe the fuel smell would go away, $150.00 and out the door. Didn't happen. Called to tell me that there was fuel leaking out of the back of the car and they needed to keep it and find out what was going on. I had left a copy of all my info on the recall and what the repairs were and the procedure to get authorization to make the repairs on the front seat just in case. I asked if this had anything to do with the recall and they said "oh no, its your fuel pump and it'll be here tomorrow". It took at least 2 weeks before they finally ordered the right fuel pump and someone clued them in that my car needed 2. Three weeks later, they finally called to say my car was ready and the total was $3214.88! I know I know, I got royally screwed but that's okay. Karmas a bitch. After all that, the message center seems so trivial but its something that reminds me of that fiasco every time I see "Range". In the future, I will be driving to Columbia for repairs. I can't take this kind of stress.. Damn, I feel better.

Last edited by dlnga; 11-20-2017 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Hello dinga . . . perhaps later clarification now corrects initial impressions that you did not understand, nor could find, your manual's coverage of "Trip Computer", which is covered there in detail.

Perhaps you may be relieved, rather than peeved, to know that IIRC, this change of term may be part of a s/w upgrade that for whatever reason, your car had missed previously. Testing my memory here and I can't find a specific TSB based on those terms, but have a nagging feeling that early S-Types, but spanning over into MY04, had the "old" wording while MY05 gained the "new". Suggest some research in the TSBs.

My MY07 S-Type has had the "Range" term since new. Our MY04 XK8 has the same, but as it has had all relevant s/w upgrades, it may not have started that way. In your case, and given your location, is it possible your "2005" Jaguar was manufactured as an MY04? If so, there's your answer.

Perhaps a quick question aimed back at the workshop would clarify . . . especially if (as I suspect) they carried out a long overdue flash, which is nagging me that it somehow involved the powertrain. Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Ken