S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mileage....Range?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would work out to 17.81MPG! Is this around what you guys are getting?

Old 11-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

not on the hwy

Was that an indicated (on the dash dial) 140kph?

Which year STR and what mileage on it?

Do you own an OBD tool such as an ELM327? ($20 ebay)

Old 11-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the cruising speed indicated on the dash is around 140kph.

It's a 2005 STR with 53k km.

What does that tool do?

Originally Posted by jagv8
not on the hwy

Was that an indicated (on the dash dial) 140kph?

Which year STR and what mileage on it?

Do you own an OBD tool such as an ELM327? ($20 ebay)

Old 11-23-2010, 08:52 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I really wasn't trying to insult anyone and I obviously didn't work the other side of the equation......liters or Imp gallons. Sorry. The answer is actually in something like furlongs/fortnight and that's way beyond me.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:58 AM
Veteran Member

@macc2t - this forum's Search will get you the answer

@Toller - LOL

Old 11-24-2010, 05:32 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by macc2t
That would work out to 17.81MPG! Is this around what you guys are getting?
Many variables still.... Was the 140kph the average speed for the tank? If not what was the averages for the tank? Reset one of the trip meters at fill up to get the numbers. My 3.0 gets around 21mpg with an average speed of 30mph. I have reset it during a long distance trip and gotten much better numbers. It all depends on how you drive it around town vs cruising on the highway... I drive "harder" than most so my mpg is lower than average for those that have the 3.0.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:30 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by macc2t
ok boys, i just filled up today and i used 51L and went 384kms! However most of the hwy cruising was at 140kmh....
If you're cruising at 140 km/hr the cost of gasoline will be the least of your worries.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Mikey
If you're cruising at 140 km/hr the cost of gasoline will be the least of your worries.
Ummm, yea, I thought I had a lead foot going about 80 on streaches of highway on my commute...
I certainly hope you had a single blast to 140kph since that translates to 86.99mph and that isn't your average...

That said, if your driving that fast normally, you should be jumping up and down for joy that your supercharged muscle car is getting such great mileage....

Old 11-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

My STR seems to do roughly the same mpg from about 45mph to 80mph. It's a bit risky to do 140km/hr here so I don't know if the mpg tails off at that.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

140 here in Quebec gets you a HUGE ticket. I keep it on cruise at 120 and get 30MPG.

Question here is, do Canadian cars show 30 miles to the Imperial gallon or US? It`s a huge difference....

Old 11-25-2010, 06:12 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Enthusiast
140 here in Quebec gets you a HUGE ticket. I keep it on cruise at 120 and get 30MPG.

Question here is, do Canadian cars show 30 miles to the Imperial gallon or US? It`s a huge difference....
Since a Canadian car is a North American spec, the computer will be calibrated to US gallons..

Never tried, but should show KM/gallon if you switch to metric on the display.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:49 AM

If you tell the car to display English English and not American English, it measures things in real gallons (Imperial). That's one reason there's a choice of languages.

JOsworth, the US gallon has never been recognized outside of the US. We used the Imperial gallon back before metrification. Also, there is no 'North American' spec for any car. What is acceptable to US authorities is not acceptable to Canadians, and vice versa.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Veteran member

Also, there is no 'North American' spec for any car. What is acceptable to US authorities is not acceptable to Canadians, and vice versa.
That is not true. Safety regulations and such are implimented to cover both. Honda makes North American market vehicles. So does BMW.

Jaguar does not list a separate Canadian or US model.. The cars exported to the US and Canada are listed as "NA" cars ie North America. The main differences from the UK cars, beyond the position of the steering wheel, are in the calibration of the computers, lighting (DRL's), and any emisions that may be different.

Read the spec. pdf's that were posted on the forum... They list the codes for the various distribution markets; North America being one.

Last edited by JOsworth; 11-26-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

If you tell the car to display English English and not American English, it measures things in real gallons (Imperial). That's one reason there's a choice of languages.

JOsworth, the US gallon has never been recognized outside of the US. We used the Imperial gallon back before metrification. Also, there is no 'North American' spec for any car. What is acceptable to US authorities is not acceptable to Canadians, and vice versa.
Let me get this straight....in the US it says trunk is open versus the boot?

Also, correct about the North American spec. California has a different smog quota than any other state, Canada has different seat belts (to MOT specs not DOT), bumpers and daytime driving lights.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:32 AM
Veteran member

Let me get this straight....in the US it says trunk is open versus the boot?

Also, correct about the North American spec. California has a different smog quota than any other state, Canada has different seat belts (to MOT specs not DOT), bumpers and daytime driving lights.
No, mine says "boot" and "bonnet" as well.

California emissions are no longer exclusive like they were 20+ years ago. Back then manufacturers would add equipment to meet the standard (and usually charge for it) Now many Eastern states have the same standards so the car companies simply build to the strictest standard.. So, technically, a Canadian car would also be equipped with California emissions....

The same applies to other safety equipment. The manufacturers build to the strictest standard for the region knowing it will also pass in other countries. Countries all have different standards and car manufacturers would go broke if they built 100's of different cars based on the destination country. For example.. If Canada has a stricter bumper standard than the US, then North American cars get the Canadian spec bumper.

As for the DRL's. That was covered here a while back. All North American cars have them, they are controlled by the electronics. I want them turned on in my car but the dealer is not willing to do it for free.

Now this is just based on my experience as a tier 3 auto supplier and my review of various tech specs as pleasure reading. That said, I would love to further expand my knowledge with actual data showing that Jaguar actually installed different seat belts and bumpers on cars destined for Canada.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

I think makers often build to a common spec for a region (NAS springs to mind) but also then configure as well (commonly in software settings e.g. the VID block, but also hardware such as fuses and shorting links).

There certainly used to be calibrations specifically for California but I don't see any CA-only listed in the S-Type file I have.

I understand nowadays that there are commonly 3 builds: NAS, ROW-LHD & ROW-RHD. NAS build is different for many things because USA & Canada are not part of ECE (aka UNECE) -- see wikipedia for some details if you want them LOL.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by JOsworth
That is not true. Safety regulations and such are implimented to cover both. Honda makes North American market vehicles. So does BMW.

Jaguar does not list a separate Canadian or US model.. The cars exported to the US and Canada are listed as "NA" cars ie North America. The main differences from the UK cars, beyond the position of the steering wheel, are in the calibration of the computers, lighting (DRL's), and any emisions that may be different.

Read the spec. pdf's that were posted on the forum... They list the codes for the various distribution markets; North America being one.
1) Our speedos read KP/H in large numbers and MPH in small numbers- the opposite of yours. That's an instant way of identifying an 'grey market' import car.

2) Our cars have the Transport Canada acceptance cert. sticker, yours don't.

There are others.

The point was our cars, when set to MPG, measures in Imperial gallons, not US. Fuel consumption in metric is displayed as L/100KM

Old 11-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member

Any of you guys got an OBD tool? It may be able to reveal the calibration
Even an elm will do it but I may have to post how.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:54 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Having moved back and forth from Canada and the U.S.
Every time I want to bring a car one way or the other, the country I am moving too requires a letter of conformaty. Sometimes I have had to make changes (some simple stuff) other times the car conforms without any changes.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,364 Likes on 2,854 Posts

If you have any contacts in the U.K., perhaps you can obtain an official letter from the Queen that will overrule any problems shifting vehicles back and forth between the U.S. and Canada....