S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

minor pet peeve here

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default minor pet peeve here

alright so have you ever tried to use those high beams with your fog lights on? you cannot use both at the same time! (unless you plan on holding the turn signal lever in towards you the whole time). at least this is the case on my 03. sometimes you need as much light as you can get in West Virginia where the visibility is terrible...

Old 02-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Its actually illegal which is why they turn off. There is a law that states you can only have 2 beams at a time on in the front of your vehicle. Fog and headlights would be your 2, when you turn on highs thats actually 2 beams so all cars with fogs are wired to have the fogs turn off. If you can break down the wiring you can actually just splice a few wires together and keep them on. Not sure of the wiring on Jags but on Ford cars there is a wire that lets the fogs know you have clicked to high beams and then turns them off. You can splice that with another wire and it will just keep the fogs on when you go high. I cant remember what the wire does that you splice I havent done this in a few years but I used to do it to make the parking lights and fogs come on with no headlights. Some of the early Ford cars had to have the headlights on to run fogs but wiring it for that will let you run them with highs. Someone with more wiring knowledge may be able to help you with that a little better then me.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Vance580 hit it on the head. On my old SHO we had a mod to allow this and it involved cutting a wire as mentioned.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:32 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I just have to say this. In repairing the collision damage, I see the wire looms in these things. Can't say I've ever seen so many wires packed together in any other car I've worked on. Looks like an old time telephone network system. I am thrilled that none got damaged in the wreck.

So if you guys are up to cutting & splicing, all I can say is you are much braver than I.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6
Vance580 hit it on the head. On my old SHO we had a mod to allow this and it involved cutting a wire as mentioned.
Thats actually one of the Ford cars I was talking about. LOL. I remember we talked about them a while back. You also had to do it on the old Ford Probe GT's. It was a very common mod. Yea I have no idea how the wiring is for the Jags headlights so I'm not sure how indepth you would have to get to get it to work. Might not even be worth the trouble. I dont have fogs so dont have to worry about it. You might be better off looking at getting brighter lights rather then more of them.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:42 PM

okay that makes alot of sense. i knew having all those lights on would be irregular for all cars not just jags. ive been holding the turn signal lever in when i wanted to use both at night along with the xenons. talk about illuminating the road. i release the high beam lever when oncoming drivers pass me and ive gotten kinda used to it which is pretty crazy.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:22 PM

Wonder if you have the saging headlight problem? Pretty easy fix if that's the case.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:07 PM

whats the saging headlight problem?

Old 02-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation Quite the reverse

The fog lights don't provide a lot of light unless your standing with your head out the sunroof looking straight down in front of the car!
I need the reverse.
The whole idea of fog lights is to penetrate underneath the fog layer and being placed as low as possible to minimise glare. I want the headlights to turn OFF when the fog lights are on. There is no point at all in having heads or main beam on in fog - all you get is glare.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Yup every car I've owned has been the same. My Ford Explorer Sport Trac did have a fuse that you could break off a part of and then they'd all work simultaneously.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

Get HID head and fog lights and call it a day... You really don't need more light than that unless you're blind

Take care,

George

Old 02-26-2011, 08:00 AM

George, He says he has Xenons already. I wondered if they could be broke and pointing at the ground.

WVU, here's one thread describing the problem and an easy fix.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=10745

Gotta love this place!

Old 02-26-2011, 09:52 AM

it's not a matter of fog or blindness, it's a matter of darkness. think of driving through a forest at night. i dont think my xenons are pointing at the ground either but sometimes you just want to see a little bit more at night

Old 02-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by carate
The fog lights don't provide a lot of light unless your standing with your head out the sunroof looking straight down in front of the car!
I need the reverse.
The whole idea of fog lights is to penetrate underneath the fog layer and being placed as low as possible to minimise glare. I want the headlights to turn OFF when the fog lights are on. There is no point at all in having heads or main beam on in fog - all you get is glare.
Exactly- having both on simultaneously in fog conditions is counter productive.

Originally Posted by WVUBoss89
it's not a matter of fog or blindness, it's a matter of darkness. think of driving through a forest at night. i dont think my xenons are pointing at the ground either but sometimes you just want to see a little bit more at night
If you're saying that the high beams don't provide enough light to drive safely, having the fogs on won't do much more. best get your car and your eyes checked, one or the other may need some maintenance.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:07 AM

noooooo the high beams are fine and illuminate like hell. the prob is the fog lights dont stay on with the high beams on! just a minor peeve but like someone said earlier it's actually illegal which is why the fogs turn off completely

Old 02-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by WVUBoss89
noooooo the high beams are fine and illuminate like hell. the prob is the fog lights dont stay on with the high beams on! just a minor peeve but like someone said earlier it's actually illegal which is why the fogs turn off completely
OK, so you're saying that your fogs actually make a visible difference in clear weather when the main and high beams are already on?

Old 02-26-2011, 11:38 AM

yes they make a slight difference due to the position of the fog lights on the car

Old 02-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

It's more a perception / optical illusion.

I have HID fogs in my car. As we know with the S-Type you have to manually turn the fogs on each time you start the car. They will not come on automatically with the headlights. (Pet peeve #2) LOL.

So half the time I'm driving I forget that the Fogs aren't even on, BUT when you turn them on, they illuminate a section of road say 10-20 feet in front of the car brightly, which gives you the impression that they are adding a lot more light than they really are.

Take care,

George

Old 02-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm with you on pet peeve 2.

Is there a way to make the fogs come on with the headlights>????

THIS drives me nuts.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by achysklic
I'm with you on pet peeve 2.

Is there a way to make the fogs come on with the headlights>????

THIS drives me nuts.
I'm SURE I can come up with a kit... BUT it will make the fogs an all or nothing proposition. You won't have the ability to turn them off while leaving the headlights on. You may also not have the indication that they are on in the dash.

Let me know if you're interested.

Take care,

George

Quick Reply: minor pet peeve here