S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misbehaving Window 2004 S Type

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misbehaving Window 2004 S Type

Hello everyone! My first post looking for guidance.
I have a 2004 Type S I just picked up a few months ago. Only 44k miles and it's beautiful, likely garage kept.
2 Issues. Is there a way to add Bluetooth that would use the buttons and microphone I see in this car.
The phone button gives me a message like "No Phone Connected"

the Real Issue.
Intermittent, and with no rhyme or reason I can see, the passenger front window will roll down.
It hasn't happened in days, and in that time, the window didn't operate at all. Luckily it was closed.
Today, about 5 miles from home, just rolling along at a steady speed, the window decided to roll down, all the way.
I tried to roll it up, but no response from drivers switch or passenger side switch.
So I just drove along.
Tried again a few minutes later. Rolled up. Good. It's supposed to rain tonight!
A few weeks ago, similar event, but just at the end of the ride, I stopped, put it in park, and when I turned the key off, the window rolled down! strange.
The driver door switch got it right back up again.
All other windows work perfectly, no issues.

I poked around the forums, and a common first step is to Reset the CPU by taking off the Pos cable from the battery, then turn on the lights to drain residual charge, I imagine. The cable was too thick and settled in to drag to the ground. About 5 minutes later, I reconnected it, started the car. All my radio stations were lost, good sign. All the windows worked, except that same passenger front window. so the reset didn't help.
I imagine there's a control module in that door? Or where is the main CPU? Is that the module I see in the spare tire well, other side of the battery, or is that for navigation? (I might have seen that in a book-not sure)

Thanks for reading, and I hope everyone stays save with this damn virus!

Old 04-08-2020, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,075 Likes on 1,466 Posts

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum. That's a strange issue you've got, with a single window running down on a random basis.

Have you ever found the window down after the car has been parked a while? Or does this only happen only when the ignition is on, or shortly after shutdown? I'm just trying to get a sense for what is sending the errant command to drive the window down.

If you search older messages in the forum, be careful because there's a big difference in the window control circuitry between early ('99-'02) and late ('03+) models. If you find something on an early model, it likely isn't applicable to your '04.

Wiring diagrams here, see figure 14.1:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...x2062004en.pdf

For starters, I'd suggest unplugging the switch in the armrest for the recalcitrant window. Perhaps the switch was failing internally and making inadvertent contact. Try that for a week or two and see if the problem returns.

It's also possible the associated switch at the driver's door is doing the same thing. That will be a little harder to isolate, as the one big connector feeds all four windows. Look at the back of the connector, to see if you can release just one contact from the rest of the connector. Usually you can release them with a small screwdriver or similar tool. If so, remove contact DD2-6, wrap it with insulating tape, and try that for a week or so.

Does this door (not window) get used on a regular basis? I'm wondering if there may be an intermittent fault in the wire harness between the chassis and door. Perhaps the window only acts up shortly after the door has been opened and closed, when the harness gets flexed. The door usage pattern will be a clue here. You could even try flexing the harness with the ignition on and see if the window drives itself down.

Last but not least, the motor itself could be at fault. I'm not sure of the exact details, but on all modern vehicles, the power windows have a safety feature to stop the travel if an obstruction is sensed while closing. I'm not sure if required by law, but it appears an enhancement was added to reverse travel, not just stop. I think this is what you have on your car. Looking at your wiring diagram, it appears the magic circuitry is within the motor assembly. Wish I had more concise details, but I believe if the window hits an obstruction, the amperage jumps up above a certain level and this is what triggers the safety feature to lower the window. So if this is correct, something in the motor assembly could be acting up and generating this unwanted command.

If you don't have time to troubleshoot this right now, and just need the window to stay up in the meantime, pull fuse F6 in the trunk. This will disable the window motor, but still let the others operate normally.

Last edited by kr98664; 04-08-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misbehavin'

Never happened when off/parked. Just one time it happened almost in sync with turning the key off! I know that system can be powered for raising the window after turning the car off, usually until a door is opened (like my '13 Chevy Sonic LT (great car!)
Yes, it seems like the '04 vintage S Types had a lot of kinks worked out from older models.

I'll check those schematics later and I guess I'll have to follow one of those take apart guide to see in the door (where I think my problem lies!
Thanks!
Hey, where do the cool kids get parts for these cars?

Old 04-10-2020, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by John Kramarz
Hey, where do the cool kids get parts for these cars?
Site sponsors:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/vendor-threads-31/