S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monitor status "not ready..."

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monitor status "not ready..."

Would appreciate any help here. My 2006 S Type R failed inspection due to Evap monitor 'not ready' and O2 Sens 'not ready'. There are no fault codes. The Jaguar mechanic advised a long drive - went 150 miles at highway speeds, returned to Jaguar service and there was the same 'not ready' status. I need to get this inspection passed....!

Old 11-20-2010, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

I'd understand you laughing at me but; would you consider that the emission testing machine has malfunctioned? Or the mechanic doesn't undesrtand how to operate the emission testing machine? Otherwise, an O2 sensor may be malfunctioning/on the way out and you may soon recieve a CEL to notify you of this. Did you recently fuel up whilst the engine running? Test or replace the O2 sensors in the meantime. Please let us know what you find. In the meantime, there are some very competent Jaguar diagnosticians ( I'm pretty good at diagnosing human health issues) on the way.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,548 Likes on 3,957 Posts

Commonly you won't get codes if a monitor won't set (aka complete). (E.g. not enough solid data to flag codes for the bad items.)

It'll likely be diagnosable and fixable by anyone competent.

The emissions machine is probably fine.

Last edited by JagV8; 11-21-2010 at 10:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sidewinder (11-25-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Ya see? Ther'e always somone here to help ya.

sidewinder (11-25-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,915 Posts

The readiness monitors are set by a range of driving conditions. Driving on the highway will NOT set them. Try some long decelerations from 50-60 mph down to 20 mph without touching the gas pedal. There is a very long and detailed procedure to set all 5 on my Lincoln LS and I have found a range of driving conditions will reset them faster than constant driving. I would post the procedure but don't think it would be the same as Jaguar has a completely different electronic control system.

Most places check for the standard 5 readiness monitors. You are allowed one monitor to not be ready but two or more will generally fail you. Understand the the readiness monitors don't tell you anything has failed or not passed. All it is saying is the sensors have not been put in the "ready" state by the cars computer system. After you achieve "readiness" then the car will start monitoring and measuring to make sure everything is working OK. When I get this is usually after either removing the battery connections or on my Lincoln LS I have flashed the PCM with a new tune and have not driven around enough. I have had a LOT of problems getting all 5 to enter the readiness state but eventually it did happen. I found on the LS that the local auto parts places free code readers can tell if any of the readiness monitors are still unset. So I just kept checking there until I knew everything was ready. Then I went to the emission testing place.

sidewinder (11-25-2010)
Old 11-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Jag detail the procedure in the workshop manual. For an 06 you'd have to pay a small amount to get it (online) on GTR / TOPIx (link from jag home page). If you've done varied driving for quite a while (days/weeks) all the right things will have been done and any uncomplete monitor is due to a fault.

The OP could post more detail about what led up to this situation (any repairs done? fault codes cleared? battery off? what else?) and what kinds of driving over what time scale has been done since.

Yes, part of the driving is some "coast downs" from about 60mph to 20mph with no braking at all (teaches the exact behaviour of the crankshaft signal for misfire detection). But his misfire monitor is not listed as a problem....

EVAP could easily be a badly fitting gas cap but far better to diagnose logically than guess (OK, this one's cheap enough you might just change it but you can't swap every sensor etc!).

sidewinder (11-25-2010)
Old 11-25-2010, 11:37 PM

Thanks to all for the guidance. Just returned from a 5 day road trip to Big Bend in the West Texas infinite expanse of landscape and sky. Great roads and a total absence of...anybody else! Did this in the Volvo XC 90, not the STR.

I have had the STR for just over a year. The first service was a simple 10,000 mile job, the second (just done) included the inspection which found these 'not ready' monitors. The gas cap integrity tests fine. The misfire monitor is 'ready.' In my time with the car, there have been no repairs, no faults cleared, no battery out. Car went through an emmisions and inspection test just before I bought it, so I presume everything was OK as it passed. My typical driving work day is 12 miles to and from the office (24 mile round trip) of which 2/3 is freeway. About every other week will involve a run for about 70 miles again at mostly freeway speeds. Have done one round trip to Dallas, about 500 miles. Will check with Jaguar Houston Central tomorrow as they have had the car for the last 5 days to figure this out.

Last edited by sidewinder; 11-25-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:08 AM
Veteran Member

Sad not to have been in the STR, but at least you had a car to drive!

I'm interested on what the jag shop found. Is the car still under warranty?
BTW, the emissions-related parts may well be, even if there's no other warranty. Could be worth looking up your state's (or is it federal?) laws on emissions equipment (e.g. 7/70,000 would mean 7 years or 70,000 miles).

Old 11-27-2010, 01:01 AM

Jag service reported they took the car through the recommended drive cycles twice, but no change to the two recalcitrant monitors. Being Thanksgiving here yesterday, their tech guy was 'unavailable...' Luckily(?) I'm away 'till next Thursday so they have a few more days to get this sorted. Will report back on my return.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member

They're wasting their (and your) time doing that. Remember that definition of insanity (keeping on doing the same thing and expecting a different result).....

Clearly there's at least one fault, which is blocking at least one monitor. They need to be hunting the fault.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Default continued "not ready"

Jaguar Houston Central has still not found the problem. They have taken the car through the Jaguar recommended drive cycles for each of these monitors three times, and they still say 'not ready.' They also tried the drive cycles from ALLDATA Online, again 3 times each, and still no change. They have consulted the folks on the tech line, but have had no one come back with any different suggestions. So now they have had the car for almost 2 weeks, driven it some 300 miles in total on their drive cycles, and no change. They say they have never seen this before. All other cars that had shown these monitors 'not ready' have clicked in first time after a drive cycle. So now I have the car back and will continue to ask them if they have found anyone with a solution that has worked in the past.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by sidewinder
Jaguar Houston Central has still not found the problem. They have taken the car through the Jaguar recommended drive cycles for each of these monitors three times, and they still say 'not ready.' They also tried the drive cycles from ALLDATA Online, again 3 times each, and still no change. They have consulted the folks on the tech line, but have had no one come back with any different suggestions. So now they have had the car for almost 2 weeks, driven it some 300 miles in total on their drive cycles, and no change. They say they have never seen this before. All other cars that had shown these monitors 'not ready' have clicked in first time after a drive cycle. So now I have the car back and will continue to ask them if they have found anyone with a solution that has worked in the past.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
...sounds like they are just racking up the milage on your car without any success to find the fault Thats really crazy they still haven't been able to find the problem this long. Good Luck.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:53 AM
Veteran Member

See my post above (#10). There really is no point in doing that driving. Insane.

I'd start by looking at the jag details of each individual monitor and check each of its enabling conditions. Keep them firmly in mind.

The monitors are doc'ed in the workshop manual (ebay $6-10). If you have it and can't find them I can probably point you to where. If you DIY...

Then I'd go back to basics and check every sensor through OBD (especially generic OBD) to make sure it's giving plausibly correct values, to be certain that all the essentials of operating the car are definitely OK (fuelling etc). Also, check for any signs of wiring damage. As ever, listen to the car at idle, when revved and when driven.

I'd do a tailpipe 4-gas analysis if still stuck (or if I had easy access to such a test) for clues.

With dealer-type tools I'd operate the actuators checking for correct operation. I don't think that's DIY.

Any lazy or poor signal could potentially be the cause so be eagle-eyed when looking.

I'd also look up the Law about emissions in the area to see how many unset monitors still count as a pass and whether spending above a threshold ($XXX) on emissions-related repair attempts also grants a pass.

Clearly you need something you don't have: a competent jag tech. That driving says you don't have one. Harsh, but...

Last edited by JagV8; 12-03-2010 at 02:59 AM.
sidewinder (12-04-2010)
Old 12-04-2010, 10:59 AM

I have extremely limited DIY so know enough not to attempt. Unfortunately the law is that a valid inspection sticker is required. Period. I'm just going to keep on bugging Jaguar for tapping into their worldwide tech pool, and hope that someone in that community will come up with a set of recommendations, like you, who has seen this before and found they work. I'm also going to go to the local inspection station and see if by any chance it passes...maybe that's another definition of insanity, but I'm beyond caring

Old 10-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exact same situation. I have a 05 with the exact same situation you had. How was it resolved?

Thanks..

Old 10-14-2011, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member

Exact? Same monitors unset & only those?

What was done that caused them to be unset?

Last edited by JagV8; 10-14-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep, just those two. I disconnected the battery (back when I replaced the fuel pump). Now I need to pass the emissions test.
I have found the drive cycle instructions to reset them, what a p i t a ... I'll try doing it today (Saturday). Wish me luck lol.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Good Luck Jerry, I will keep my fingies crossed for you!

Old 10-15-2011, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member

They usually set in normal driving. Within a few hundred miles, unless something's wrong. (Can be a pain figuring out what - applies to most modern cars, not by any means just jags.)

The not too empty & not too full fuel tank is one of the critical items.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

I am having the same issue with 4 moniters still incomplete after over 1000 miles. Did Sidewinder ever post what the ultimate fix was? I have gone as far as to swap out the ECU. The sensors that do not clear have all been monitered on IDS & operate properly. I am curious as what others have found.

Quick Reply: Monitor status "not ready..."