Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moonroof stuck open

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 09:58 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Moonroof stuck open

Hi all...

My 2005 S-Type moonroof is stuck open outside with rain predicted in a couple days. I'm sure the answer is here somewhere but I can't seem to find it. I'm not real good at navigating 'forums.' I'd really appreciate some guidance.

I don't see any broken parts stuck in the tracts. All I hear is a faint 'click' when I push the open and close buttons. I do not hear the motor trying to engage nor does the moonroof budge. Can someone please direct me to the posts that might solve my problem or even give me a place to start looking for the problem? I'm going to check fuses and relays once I locate the distribution box diagrams.

This is a second car so there's no urgency to getting it fixed. I already assume it will take more than a couple days to figure out the problem and fix it so I'm going to make a waterproof cover for the moon roof today just in case I don't get it to close.

Thanks for all the help this forum has provided me in the past and future.

Old 04-14-2024, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

A couple of things?
Attached is a document from Webasto. This is the company that made our Moon Roofs and supplied them to Jaguar. You will find Jaguar has almost nothing on these so parts seem to be NA. BUT Webasto does IF you know what model moon-roof you have. Things are getting older so I don't know what's available now?

You have not taken things apart so you won't know if anything is broken yet. But there are at least 3 TSB's affecting the moon roof to. We also have many threads on moon roof repairs on the forum.

You can close the roof manually. Remove the overhead console in the roof. Underneath that is the Moon roof motor.

You should be able to use a hex or Allen key to turn it and close the roof.

Attached Files
The following 3 users liked this post by clubairth1:
kr98664 (04-14-2024), nse1355 (04-14-2024), S-Type Owner (04-15-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 04:15 PM

Thank you VERY much...

I'm making progress. Spent over an hour searching this site on how to remove the console then got it done in less than 30 minutes only because I work really slow. I really should figure out how to find things on this forum.

My motor is very much like the one you pictured with the same model number but different amperage. The T25 screw to manually open and close the moon roof is rusted but it closed easily. I tried using the motor after I closed it a couple inches with no luck. However, once I closed it all the way I tried the motor again and it worked. It's not working properly because when it's supposed to stop when closed it actually tilts the roof in the up position. Also, the button closet to the windshield opens, closes, and tilts the moon roof. The button farthest from the windshield doesn't do anything but make a click noise. I still need to figure out what's wrong with it. Maybe some sort of limit switch.

The drain tubes are either clogged or separated from the connection and allows water to enter the cabin and trunk. This is another job I'm not looking forward to.

I'm calling it a successful day and stopping here.

Last edited by nse1355; 04-14-2024 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-14-2024, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member

Glad to see progress and keep going!

At least you got it closed so the car is safe. Too bad about the rust and leaks.
I had a Lincoln LS which suffered from Moon roof hoses pulling off the metal nipple. Here is a picture and it might be worth a look at yours?
One at each corner. Need to pull down the head liner a bit and take a peek.

I think you need to read these TSB's. They should help.
Post back if you can as I think you can repair this with just a bit of work?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Sun Roof Bounces Back TSB.pdf (65.2 KB, 18 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by clubairth1:
kr98664 (04-14-2024), nse1355 (04-14-2024)
Old 04-14-2024, 08:00 PM

You've made this much easier for me, thank you. I took a quick look at one of the TSB's and found it referenced the workshop manual which I have, all 4099 pages in a PDF. The TSB and the workshop manual I have are in sync and I went right to the Roof Opening Panel section as referenced. I have trouble with auto verbiage thus difficulty finding what I'm searching for due to wrong search words.

I've read some good posts on clearing/repairing the drain tubes in this forum. They also mention as the tubes age they shrink and separate from the nipples as you pointed out as well. The drain tubes are a priority because the moisture in the cabin causes some electrical failures such as locking the shift lever in park. Once the interior dries out the shifter works fine. Moisture also messes with the auto up/down function on all four windows until it dries out.

With rain coming I'm going to tape around the moon roof seal and put a car cover on for now. I'll pick back up on this in a few days.

Old 04-15-2024, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member

Good progress!
Yes the Jag's don't seem to pull the hoses off like the Lincoln LS's did and are more likely to be blocked. Do you park under tree's by chance?
Generally people use compressed air or try to fish a wire down from the moon roof into the drain tubes with the glass panel fully open.

It helps to understand how the moon roof is designed? The seal around the glass is NOT water tight by design. It merely slows the water volume down. If you look at the Webasto document you can see the entire thing sits in a sheet metal pan. At the 4 corners of that pan the drain tubes are connected and drain to the ground.

So the design is water gets in to the pan and drains away BEFORE it over flows the pan and puts water inside the car. Obviously if the water draining is restricted somehow the pan will over flow. Where is the car getting wet? If down the "A" pillars or the door cards? Probably the drain tubes. Passenger side carpet? Probably from the pan so the glass seal?

Glad to see you can DIY things and also you have the large and very confusing shop manual!

Now please do us a favor and post back on your repair? We are just guessing on the internet.

The following users liked this post:
S-Type Owner (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 10:27 AM

The interior is wet all over including the trunk. In the mornings the interior glass has condensation all over it. I’m hoping it’s only the drain tubes failing and humidity is causing the entire interior to become wet. The seal looks good but I will do a more thorough inspection.

The car is parked under trees. My entire driveway is covered by trees.

I can easily DIY most everything construction related and have tools for practically every construction trade. Auto mechanics, especially auto electric, is problematic for me.

I’m still having verbiage issues. The TSB you sent says to de-synchronize before synchronizing the roof. I’m attaching the synchronizing and de-activation instructions from the workshop manual. De-synchronize and de-activate mean different things. Is it possible Jaguar uses these terms synonymously? I haven’t found the instructions to de-synchronize.

I’ve only taken the console down so far without help from the manual but here’s how I did it. Of course, opposite from what the manual says.

1) The black screw does not need to be removed to take the console down. It holds the black upper glasses tray in place which is not connected to the console. When the console comes down, the black tray stays in the roof (see pic). It can be wiggled out after the console is down and screw removed.

2) First thing I did was run a paint can lid removal tool (hooked spoon) along the outside edge to separate the headliner fabric from the plastic console outer edge.

3) I pulled down on the backside of the console where the glasses tray is. This is opposite from the manual instructions. Fortunately the 2 plastic tabs came out easily and did not break. FYI… these two tabs are not numbered in the attached instructions probably because if I had started from the front side these tabs would have naturally been released as the console is brought down.

4) I continued to pull until there was no separation between the console and headliner. This told me there had to be tabs at these locations (#3 in the instructions). I pushed a small flathead screwdriver inward and pulled down on the console one tab at a time. The tabs released easily.

5) I repeated the process for the #2 and #1 tabs.

Is there a way of posting these instructions in a how-to section so people like me don’t have to stumble upon them reading a bunch of posts?

Old 04-15-2024, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member

Yes. We have what's called sticky posts at the top of each forum. This is where common stuff is posted because as you said it's hard to find what you want with 10's of thousands of posts. I do think the moderators control what is posted up there for obvious reasons so it does not get to cluttered. Note the full JTIS version is in the stickies.

If you seeing that much water inside the car and you are parking under many trees I think your correct about the drains and I would for sure make certain that all 4 are open and draining water. Any way to park under a cover somewhere? It will keep happening otherwise. Are they pine trees? The needles seem to really cause plugging more than other kinds of trees.

Sorry for the lack of detail in the moon roof repair. My 2005 STR never had any problems in that area so no personal experience in fixing it. Now you do bring up what I have always found and that is Jaguar manuals are too vague and hard to understand. After you do the repairs yes the instructions do make sense but it does not have many details. Part of the problem is Jaguar is a small company so they can't release manuals in 30 languages like GM or Ford. So it's mostly pictures and arrows and not a lot of text.

I think we are lucky that at least SDD does have many languages available but that is due to the SDD being built on Microsoft software.

Here is a thread on clearing the roof drains.
Clearing Moon Roof Drains

Old 04-15-2024, 08:15 PM

No place to park under cover. I put blue painter tape over the roof seal then covered the car with a car cover. This will have to do until I can work on the drain tubes. No pine trees but an oak directly above and another tree but I don't know what it is. I also have a couple pecan trees close so when the wind blows the car is covered in fine particles from the pecan.

I found the full JTIS but my malware software strongly recommends not following the Captain Jaguar link. I'll look into it.

Here's another pic and pdf with the tabs shown. Since my goal was to only get the roof closed, I didn't take the console completely down. I should note it will take a short screwdriver to release tabs/clips #1 because they are very close to the rear view mirror.

Thanks for the roof drain link.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
console 2.pdf (156.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 04-16-2024, 04:50 AM
Veteran Member

Good progress and hope your car stays dry too.
I have seen the JTIS in PDF form to for pretty cheap on EBay?
Here is the S Type manual in PDF and it's less than $15 if you want to get it that way?
S Type PDF Manual

Old 04-16-2024, 08:19 AM

Again verbiage...

What I have in PDF form is titled S Type 2004-2008 Workshop Manual. The link you provided is for the Jaguar S-Type 2003-2008 Factory Repair Manual. The TSB's you provided and random ones I looked at here reference things like "2 Remove center console for access. (See Workshop Manual, JTIS CD ROM section 501-12)." The references made to "section 501-12" and all the others I've looked at correspond to the PDF Workshop Manual I already have.

What have been really helpful are the TSB's. How do I access those?

Old 04-16-2024, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

Top of the forum among the Sticky threads.

Old 04-16-2024, 04:56 PM

Thanks.

Went to the sticky. Couldn't 'Search Thread' for even a simple word like 'voice.' No results found even though it's in the 1st zip file. Why are one page docs zip files? When I got a result the link just took me back to the thread. I guess there's more to it than simplicity.

However, at the bottom of the thread (last response) is a much much easier way to get the TSB's posted by Gus. I was able to search his online page for 'roof' and came up with lots of TSB's. One click opens a TSB.

Here's his post.

Old 04-17-2024, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Yes finding the full length TSB can be hard. I collect all I see concerning my car but it is hit and miss.
Glad you have the manual it's about the only thing we have.

Old 04-18-2024, 04:59 AM
Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts

Another thing to check if you park under or near trees is the drain hole under the engine management ECM. This is easily blocked and can cause corrosion on the ECM, its wiring plugs, and the surrounding bodywork.

The following users liked this post:
kr98664 (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 06:07 AM

Thank you. I'll certainly check this out. Since putting blue painters tape on the roof seals and using a car cover, no moisture is getting into the cabin. Hopefully this will also prevent moisture around the ECM.