S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More horses!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 01:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More horses!!!

Does anyone know any quick ways to add more horses to my S-type 4.0? I don't have an R like most of you guys so I'd like to boost mine up a bit. What should I do first? Everything's stock at this point.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:55 PM
mep
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: More horses!!!

One thing that I learned over the years (and still learning) of wanting something and trying to make what I currently have by modifying it is either way expensive or just a waste of money. Just get the R.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

The trannys so weak as is, you'd just further decrease it's life. I'd just simply buy a cheap camaro or mustang and build it up...

Old 09-13-2007, 01:02 AM

I was thinking about getting one of those air intakes from Jaguarxp.com would that help any?

Old 09-13-2007, 08:40 AM
mep
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I put a K&N drop-in in mine and you can notice a little bit.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

The intake might help a little bit, but not even an exhaust gives you much of anything on the S-types.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member

Short answer, if a metal intake or oiled cotton filter was so great, why wouldn't the factory use them? A factory could subtract the cost of their existing plastic intake paper filter and build metal intake with oiled cotton filter for probably $25 more. 10 more hp on any car would be a great marketing tool...

Longer answer: The metal intake tube aborbs heat like crazy, a moder effecient intake must draw in cooler outsideair away from the engine bay, this design looks like it doesn't. A heat sheild is abosutley useless without cold air, it's like holding a shield in a sauna. Cotton does not filter as good as paper, in general, paper filters keep your engine running longer due to allowing less particals through. Square inch to square inch, cotton will outflow paper at the expense of filtering less. With that being said, paper filters almost always have more surface area (via deeper and/or more pleat) than their k&n/cotton counterparts. Lastly never believe claims saying increased hp. Marketing has tricked us into only seeing PEAK hp, you need to look at the whole powercurve, stock vs modifications.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's the same reason that they put dirty, dusty brake pads on from the factory. They wan't people to have to come in for service more often.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:59 AM

I agree with most of the posts above...The jaguar is definitely a mod-friendly car as far as $ / hp gain. On most cars a cold air intake is probably one of the most inexpensive mods that may give you a few extra horses. You definitely won't notice a night and day difference. Same with the filter. Anyone who thinks they feel a performance difference going from one filter to another is kidding themselves...

As far as the "the would've done it at the factory if it was better" arguement...Well, there are a lot of reasons why they don't do things. Most of all overall cost and reliability. Don't think for a second that the factory maxes out the performance aspects of automobiles...

All that being said, am I going to mod my Jaguar...no, but to each his own...

Old 09-15-2007, 12:00 PM

Sorry...Meant to say definitely NOT a mod-friendly car...

ORIGINAL: lowell216

I agree with most of the posts above...The jaguar is definitely a mod-friendly car as far as $ / hp gain. On most cars a cold air intake is probably one of the most inexpensive mods that may give you a few extra horses. You definitely won't notice a night and day difference. Same with the filter. Anyone who thinks they feel a performance difference going from one filter to another is kidding themselves...

As far as the "the would've done it at the factory if it was better" arguement...Well, there are a lot of reasons why they don't do things. Most of all overall cost and reliability. Don't think for a second that the factory maxes out the performance aspects of automobiles...

Old 09-15-2007, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Igloo112
I don't have an R like most of you guys so I'd like to boost mine up a bit.
I think only liek 3 or 4 people on here have Rs, most the people I don't believe have it. i wouldn't worry to much about adding power you have a v8 so it's pretty fast, at least without the supercharger your car will have a longer engine life. Any real good modifications woould be expensive as hell

Old 09-15-2007, 04:14 PM

Thanks for all the tips. I was just wondering if there is anything I could do to get a little boost on the proformance. It is pretty fast at this point. I did notice though that when you have a full car (passengers and luggage)it feels like it makes a bigger difference than it should. I would just go get another car that would be better to mod but I don't think anybody's giving cars away. At least not that I know of.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah lol! If you find one fill me in!

Yeah, my x feels pretty fast...I'd get the r if your still lusting for power...that is my plan but it has nothing to do with lusting for more power...I just have lust for the R!!!

Old 09-15-2007, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: lowell216

I know you mean NOT a mod friendly car...While there is very little aftermarket support or trial and error out there, with a dyno and a fuel controller one could easily lean it out for more power. The problem is, you will decrease engine life, how much is what's in question. I'm personally not taking the risk. The S Type like most other modern cars have a cold air intake (CIA) stock from the factory, don't believe me look under your hood. I'll guarentee this aftermarket intake will get our S Types across the quarter mile finish line slower than a stock S Type due to heatsoak alone. You are 100% accurate in your accessment that the factory has a perfect formula of cost/reliablity/power/marketability (appearance, safety, MPG, demand), etc...The cotton filtered metal tubed CIA did not meet any factory's formula. Dusty brake pads for most didn't either. I have my own formula in which appearance is heavily weighted and bought lower dusting ceramic pads.

I also chose not to mod my Jags drivetrain, only because it seems to built out of "glass" in which breaks relatively easy.

Hope no one takes offense, I'm trying to correct in a respectful way what I feel is misinformation. That'sthe great thing about a dicussion board.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:58 PM

Definitely no offense taken here...I think we're pretty much saying the same thing anyway. The performance aftermarket for the S-Type is horrible. Little available, ridiculously overpriced and almost no real-world data (from guys like us on the forums) supporting performance gains. Again, just not very mod-friendly, especially when you take into consideration the reliability issues that are inherent with real hp gains.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:04 AM

Does anyone know any quick ways to add more horses to my S-type 4.0? I don't have an R like most of you guys so I'd like to boost mine up a bit. What should I do first? Everything's stock at this point.

Unless the car came with F/I from the factory you’re wasting your money for what you get in return. Don’t believe me? Let’s say that the CAI adds 10 hp, headers another/ porting your heads15-20 hp, and a midpipe/ exhaust combo another 10 hp. All this is speculation and marketing from the vendors, but for arguments sake we will say you just added 40 hp for about $3000-$3500. Even if you leave out porting the heads you're still looking at $1500-$2000 for 30hp. Does this sound like a good deal for your hard earned money$

I don’t know if they have an NOS kit for the S, but IMHO that would be the best bang for the buck. You could get anywhere from 50-100hp for around $500, if they have a kit for the S? If you're handy you could even install the kit yourself.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:53 AM
Default Two cars are better than one.

I am with Bacardi 151 on this subject

No modification on the Jaguar.

Name:  Jagaur-Side-A.gif
Views: 51
Size:  147.4 KB

Cruising car.

Name:  Mustang-Side-A.gif
Views: 25
Size:  167.0 KB

Zoom Zoom Car

Have a great day . . . . [8D]

Old 09-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Two cars are better than one.

Why those rims on the stang cajun??? Could've gotten some saleen gunmetal black 18's for 450 shipped...liking the black on both though...Especially the s-type...

You would spend less money just buying a use s-type r than modifying the s-type...not to mention you could get one under warranty and everything would be fixed with factory hp...

Old 09-17-2007, 05:08 PM

I guess you guys are right. It really wouldn't make sence to spen a few grand just to get a small boost in hp. The tranny is pretty weak. I guess I'll just focus on making it look nice. I'll get some rims, tint, and hid's. Does anybody have the chrome pillars or chrome headlight circles around the headlights?

Old 09-18-2007, 01:47 AM

Does anybody have the chrome pillars or chrome headlight circles around the headlights?
No chrome circle for the headlights yet, but I did get the chrome strips for the grille.
Personally I wouldn't get the chrome for the pillars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JAGUA...9558QQtcZphoto

Quick Reply: More horses!!!