S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

more str engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more str engine problems

i was driving the other day & i felt a jerk almost like i was pushed from behind & got a msg saying faulty gear box & restricted performance. i turned off the car & restarted it & got only a flashing engine light but the car was running really rough. i brought into the dealership & they got code P0307 & they told me my coil on my plug in cylinder 7 had to be replaced. i had that fixed under my extended warranty but the car still dont feel the same they recommended changing my fuel filter & spark plugs. i put in new plugs about 2 months ago & i dont really think changing plugs will make much difference . im just wondering what else it could be or if any1 else had this problem

Old 11-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: more str engine problems

They probably recomended the plugs and filter as part of scheduled maintenance, doesn't necessarily have anything to do with your problem... the pushing from behing is a common problem on our cars... I'm not sure if your familiar with the "lurch" (hahahahaha I originally wrote lunch) but its a problem that all ZF transmissions have (S-Type R, New 5 Series, New 6 Series).. When you pull up to a light in 2nd gear and come to a stop your car will physically downshift into 1st while at the light, your rpms will rise and the car will lurch forward... It usually wont show up a gearbox fault or restricted performance, so you may have a more serious problem.. the blinking CEL is usually means you have a missfire, so that would explain the coil.. but the gearbox fault is beyond me... wait for Brutal to read this, he'll probably know...

Old 11-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

theres a TSB on several of the ZF issues, and thats one of em.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:44 PM

Did the dealer not mention anything about the torque converter?that was one of my problems, first sign was light fluttering of acceleration while at a constant speed then soon after it popped and the two msg's. came up.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member

Mines doing that surging thing too, guess I should take it in for a converter before it breaks..

Old 11-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

yah mine would surge at 45-50 mph area after the car was cold from being in the garage all night, you could see the rpm gauge move...they replaced my torque converter and it hink this was the fix.... a good website if you havent see it is thelurch.com explaining common s type problems and also providing TSB numbers. i personally delt with my service manager always and he was very helpful and had no problem when i provided him with the numbers. it helps a lot!

Old 11-18-2008, 11:14 AM

thanks for the replies guys. i had the plugs, fuel filter, supercharger & fan belts changed & it seems to be running a bit better. i dont think the spark plugs or the belts could have made much difference so i guess my fuel filter was clogged up. could a dirty fuel filter make it run that rough? i only had the car for just over a year & its my first ride so im noob at this lol....now after all that im getting the ticking/chuggign on cold starts. my engine already has 130 000 kms on it & i drive it like its stolen lol now im wondering if its even worth me keep on putting money into it.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

you feeding it good gas?

Old 11-18-2008, 06:41 PM

yes i was giving it ultra 94 but when i was at the dealer they told me not 2 use it anymore & step it down to 91 octane.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:46 PM

Is this a 2003 STR issue? Or on all STRs? Many many miles on on your vehicles when the lurch begin to be noticed?

Old 11-20-2008, 11:24 AM

yes its a 2003

Old 11-20-2008, 07:11 PM

another question ...now i had the 1 coil changed should i change the other 7 or does it matter ?

Old 11-21-2008, 01:19 AM
Veteran Member

If one goes bad, the others could be on their last leg as well, or they could last another 50k miles... no way of knowing. If you feel like spending the money, go for it, if not, just do the one.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:57 AM

thanks for the info i think i might put off getting all new coils till i have to. i just wasnt 2 sure if it could be effecting my performance at all.......whiteSTR i seen on another post sumwhere u talkin about racing (im pretty sure it was u)& there should be section in this forum jus for us 2 talk about races lol..i agree i was about 2 post a story about 1 of my races but i cant find the thread that u posted that in...maybe we should jus start a whole new topic on street races we been in in our STRS lol i would luv 2 hear about sum good match ups.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:58 AM

ORIGINAL: 03 S_type R

another question ...now i had the 1 coil changed should i change the other 7 or does it matter ?

Yes, because if one goes who's to say the other one's arent. Plus, while your in there you might as well make sure you have new hardware.

and I'm the one that "races" mine. I've done a few 1/8th mile passes 9.1x mostly.

I usually take it easy though and enjoy that 32mpg I'm getting on flat roads this time of year.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

I race my car every weekend.. we run 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2 mile passes... not at the track like you midga, I street race.. We have a crew that street races down here in miami, about 150 cars, on wednesdays, fridays, and sometimes on saturdays.. I told BMW about it in another topic..

If you guys have ever seen the fast and the furious our seen puts that to shame.. We usually have about a 150 to 200 car turnout.. the cops are cool with it, and only come if there is violence.. but we usually have: 4-10 M5s * 2-5 Gallardos * 5-8 Z06s * 1 ZR1 * 10 M3s * 15 Cobras * 20+ SRT8s * -10 E55s * CLS55 & 65s * 4 SRT10 Rams * Turbo S2Ks, M3s, 240SXs, 540s, & Supras * Every flavor or SRT-4 * those are the regulars, but we have tons of other imports and exotics... and just ONE Jaguar hahhahah

We also have some trailored cars, some guys running straight alcohol, and a lot of guys on slicks.. I would love to get some more Jaguar representations out there, if anyone ever wants to come down its in Miami, but you get a chance to run your car against other exotics and see just how fast it REALLy is..

Old 11-21-2008, 02:13 PM

whiteSTR i think it was on a different thread you were talkin about racing a friend with a 08'trailblazer ss & u could only get him off the line....i race with anycar on the road that wants it lol all day everyday. i only been in street races & never lost yet. its my first car & i said b4 i drive it like its stolen lol as long as the roads are dry the traction it turned off so i can burn around corners lol. i had the car just over a year now & im on my third set of tires & about 10 grand put into it from tie rods 2 the chrome mesh grill in between the fog lights...this car gave me trouble from the day i got it but i still luv it & dont wanna give it up no matter how much its costing me...its just way 2 fun lol ...over the winter i plan on getting my s/c ported, ecu retune, rims, all chrome parts & a fresh paint job ...my cats gonna be extra sexy for the summer DAMN i cant wait

Old 11-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

I drive mine likes its stolen too.. my car redlines about 35 or so times a day.. I fill up once every 2 days and its starting to get annoying, but its just part of my morning routine now... wake up, get dressed, fire up the jag, get gas, get starbucks, then go to work.. This is probably my favorite car of all the ones I've owned.. theres just something addicting about the supercharger...

My best friend and I are in a constant competition to see who can have the fastest daily driver.. We're neighbors and we both had 300hp cars, then he got the 400hp trailblazer, so I bought the 400hp Jag... he bought a programmer, then I had my blower ported and installed exhaust.. He bought an exhaust and now he's pulling a half car on me, so I'm getting the ECU remap.. Then he's going to cry like a bitch next time we race.. [sm=boohoo.gif] but he's already planning to port his heads and install a new cam, so I'm going to need to get creative soon...

Old 11-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: whiteSTR

...Then he's going to cry like a bitch next time we race.. [sm=boohoo.gif] but he's already planning to port his heads and install a new cam, so I'm going to need to get creative soon...
Creativity comes in a bottle..you know?

Old 11-22-2008, 07:38 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: whiteSTR

I drive mine likes its stolen too.. my car redlines about 35 or so times a day.. I fill up once every 2 days and its starting to get annoying, but its just part of my morning routine now... wake up, get dressed, fire up the jag, get gas, get starbucks, then go to work.. This is probably my favorite car of all the ones I've owned.. theres just something addicting about the supercharger...

My best friend and I are in a constant competition to see who can have the fastest daily driver.. We're neighbors and we both had 300hp cars, then he got the 400hp trailblazer, so I bought the 400hp Jag... he bought a programmer, then I had my blower ported and installed exhaust.. He bought an exhaust and now he's pulling a half car on me, so I'm getting the ECU remap.. Then he's going to cry like a bitch next time we race.. [sm=boohoo.gif] but he's already planning to port his heads and install a new cam, so I'm going to need to get creative soon...
HEY MISTER FASTLIFE, HOW DID THE SPEEDING TICKET ISSUE GO?

only if we had a cop on this forum.........great whiteSTR the cops know your morning routine now. They will be at the pumps and/or your precious Starbucks waiting for you to slip and then nab you!!!!

Quick Reply: more str engine problems