S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mpg

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014 | 03:51 PM

Car has new plugs, coils, fuel filter, mobile 1 synthetic oil only. 100k miles and it runs excellent. I work at a car dealership. Those are accurate mpg figures for my car. I've had the car for over a year and its been consistent. Fuel trims are normal.

Old 01-31-2014 | 03:55 PM

The str was actually 1mpg worse than my 6sp gto so I always figured my mpg was normal

Old 01-31-2014 | 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Wuzupez
Sounds like its in need of a tune-up? Plugs, fuel filter, throttle body service, mass sensor cleaned! Air filter dirty/plugged? Sometimes it's the little things that are looked over far to often. I am an over maintainer of all my vehicles. Always have been always will be. But the throttle body service is a big help. Along with a good fuel injector bottle to put in the tank every 10k to 15k miles. Also my latest thing I have been doing to vehicles is cleaning the mass air sensor with mass cleaner. You will be amazed at a little oil or dirt or even dust that sticks on the resistor that once cleaned off frees up a little power, along with throttle respone. But most importantly mpg!
Hang on. Lots of experience among the forum members says some of those are not a good idea. Don't change plugs. Leave TB alone. In fact don't mess till you've got a decent OBD tool and taken readings. Much cheaper than randomly throwing money around and gives you facts rather than guesswork.

These are computers. Not lumps of metal.

Old 01-31-2014 | 05:43 PM

Is It possible that the 05+ computer calculates mpg differently? I know when I had the elm hooked up it showed I was getting a lot better than my average on the car displayed.

Old 01-31-2014 | 07:04 PM

The things I speak of are maintenance items!

Old 02-01-2014 | 02:13 AM
Veteran Member

No. Some are and some aren't. And some are but aren't due for a long time. But it's your car so do as you wish.

Old 02-01-2014 | 06:36 PM

Well I just got home with the STR! I averaged 21.4. Guess that's better than I expected being how I was doing 80mph most of the way. And of course held her to the floor on a few occasions as well!

Old 02-01-2014 | 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by police666
You can't compare mpg on two different vehicles, the key word being different. To have a propper comparison, the test needs to be done on the 1 vehicle in near as possible identical conditions, which is impossible on public roads.
Not so! Of course we had considered the issues you raise. Other owner is senior Inspecting Engineer with NRMA (equiv of your AA) and we work on our cars together in my workshops. Whilst we all had a good laugh at your mention of plugs, gaps, coils etc and then your belated admission that they aren't exactly standard on diesels, you do raise some questions about variances on two otherwise identical cars - identical except for wheel sizes and tyres. You are entirely correct about the adaptive ZF 6HP26 - and the fact that we had overlooked this. Is this likely to have major impact under steady motorway conditions? We'll see. For technical reasons flowing from the two cars' shared maintenance, we had already ruled out any substantial impact from your other objections.

Actually, your claim that this test is impossible, even if changing wheels on the one car as you propose, is also wrong - but we credit your arguments for a solution that should have been obvious to us from the start - repeat the test over the same stretch of motorway, using the same "no traffic" time of day (actually, night into day), same cars, with the same drivers, same fuel etc etc etc but with each car now fitted with the wheels and tyres of its twin.

We have exchanged wheels already in preparation. We will drive off early tomorrow morning - once again, both vehicles will be in convoy but never slip-streaming, and I will post our results when we return.

We do not expect that, despite your objections, the 10% variance in fuel consumption is substantially due to anything other than the increased width and rolling resistance of wider tyres. Remember, we are not rubbishing fat tyres - and you would hardly call 245/40R18s "skinny" - nor are we chasing fuel economy per se - we simply seek to know what is the impact of "wider than the widest factory option".

Perhaps it will amount to nowt (whatever that means LOL). Tomorrow should tell all.
Cheers.

Old 02-02-2014 | 07:33 AM
Veteran Member

You might get the results you expect and you might ineed find the fuel usage difference is due to tire width, but I have seen identical vehicles, purchased the same time, serviced the same, carrying identical kit and have seen more than a 10% difference in fuel usage between vehicles, we used to use 3 identical range rovers to patrol a stretch of the m6 motorway and every driver noticed a difference in fuel usage between them but 1 in particular was much worse than the others. Due to the kit we carried and the light bar on the roof we never got anywhere near the official figures and land rover just dismissed it saying all vehicles, even identical ones, use different amounts of fuel.

It wasn't just the range rovers, most of us noticed a difference in fuel usage between the same vehicles of the same type and age.

Last edited by police666; 02-02-2014 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-02-2014 | 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Some sort of variation in manufacturing, I suppose - but I'm surprised it's so big.

Old 02-02-2014 | 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

another thing we also noticed with driving same age, make and model vehicles was some feel noticeably quicker than others, for example the range rover that used the most fuel seemed to be 2nd quickest, to the other 2.

Old 02-05-2014 | 09:05 AM
Veteran Member

any results cat_as_trophy ?

Old 02-06-2014 | 12:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by police666
any results cat_as_trophy ?
Yes ... Sorry for my delay in posting results ... my locum work intervened unexpectedly. I hope that the attached results translate successfully, because, while I have included some details of test methods, I have not had time to detail a comprehensive analysis. None are intended to convey typical or reproducible fuel consumptions - simply, that the comparative relationship is as valid as possible for our two VIN N8xxxx cars traveling at steady 110Km/h (70mph) on a major open motorway.

As can be seen in the results, the 9.8% variance from the first test was reversed to an opposite 6.9% in the second test, along with the transposition of wheels and tyres. The difference in increased fuel consumption was reversed - but by a significantly reduced margin.

As was expected, the greater adhesive factor and friction co-efficient arising from the road contact of the wider tyres is a significant factor in fuel consumption. However, even though wider wheels & tyres accounted for about 8% change in fuel consumption - as was predicted by at least one correspondent (police666), other factors accounted for about 2% change in fuel consumption.

These results have not been construed to achieve any predetermined goal. A range of contributors have pointed to sources from Newton, the continually evolving Laws of Physics, to the field of bicycle racing using very thin, hard tyres to reduce rolling effort and wind resistance.

Make of the results what you will - we do not see any Jaguar owners (particularly STRs) racing off to buy skinny tyres - a dangerous and foolhardy move indeed - but our findings do put some previously untested numbers against fitting wheels significantly wider than those which Jaguar provided as the vehicle manufacturer.

We look forward to your feedback and are happy to try to answer any questions.
Cheers.

Attached Files
File Type: doc
Fuel Tests.doc (9.5 KB, 137 views)
Old 02-06-2014 | 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting the results, I'm surprised that wider tires increase the fuel consumption that much but I live and learn.

Thanks for your time and effort researching this.

Old 02-06-2014 | 02:39 PM

Well my 2.7 diesel has gone from doing 22.5 mpg totally urban ,to doing 25mpg ,I have owned the car for 4 weeks and the mpg is slowly getting better .Now a friend of mine is saying that the engine ecu is learning my style of driving compared to the previous owner .Is this right ?

Old 02-06-2014 | 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

More likely the gearbox is re learning