S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple misfires and Heater Vent issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Multiple misfires and Heater Vent issue

Looking for suggestions to resovle the following issue with my '06 3.0 (29,000 miles) and under warranty.
The local Jag dealer has tried 3 times to resolve a misfire issue that results in restricted performance. Each time the issue has occurred I have been accelerating the car hard.
First time they changed the #1 coil. The issue occurred again after a couple of days. Next they charged me $320 to clean the injectors and replace the air and fuel filters. Again the same issue which made me think I had just wasted my money.
Next they stated that the issue was because the car had not warmed up properly. They reflashed the ECM and renewed the battery at the suggestion of Jag Tech line. Codes listed include 300, 301, 302 and 306.
Each time the dealer has kept the car and started from cold and not replicated the fault. I drive away and within 2 days the issue is replicated.

Additionally, the windshield vents now allow little air to flow and will not clear the glass. (I know this is not a connected issue).

I am now a regular at the dealership and while they have nice seating and coffee I would rather enjoy driving the car.

Any suggestion are appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,383 Likes on 2,862 Posts

Search this forum using the phrase "misfire issues". You'll find a wealth of information posted about misfires since the September/Ocotober timeframe. Cleaning the fuel injectors is one approach to resolving these issues, but that apparently did not work for you. Changing the two factory-installed yellow-colored intake manifold tuner O-rings to the new-and-improved green-colored O-rings is another approach, but only if your factory O-rings are indeed leaking oil. Read the threads that come up in your search and you'll learn how and where to look for O-ring oil leaks....

I was told by our local dealership in early October that Jaguar is aware of these misfire issues in the later 3-litre V6 engines but they had not pinpointed a specific common reason at that point. In the early (pre-2004) S-Types, misfires are usually caused by failing coils. But by the 2005 model year, Jaguar had improved the coils to the point where they are usually not the root cause of most misfires (although they still can be)....

What brand and type of gasoline are you running? Do you always buy your fuel at the same location? If so, try other fuel sources for awhile....

Last edited by Jon89; 01-03-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,548 Likes on 3,957 Posts

At less than 4 yrs and such sensible mileage all should be well.... but isn't!

I think you'll find your car already uses the new O rings.

P0301,2 & 6 mean misfires on cylinders 1,2 & 6. At your car's age & mileage really that points to something other than the coils, most likely a single point of failure rather than the 3 (cylinders/etc).

Fuel is a possibility and well worth eliminating (or confirming) as the problem.
It needs to be the right octane, of course, but also not too much ethanol - I think 5% is OK but can someone say for sure?

I'm not impressed about the $320!!

It could be a wiring issue but it's for a jag dealer to find, under warranty.
Do you have another one nearish? It may be worth trying them.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Muliple misfires and Heater Vent issue

Thanks for the input. I have spent time reading the threads and I guess it could be just about anything causing he misfire. I vary the location where I buy fuel but always use 93 octane.

Any ideas about the lack of air flow in the windshield vents? The Fascia level vents work fine. I'm guessing a blend door issue, either stuck or not being actuated? For now these are for the dealer to fix under warranty but at some point after the warranty expires I will be attempting to fix myself where possible and I like to know causes and solutions.

Thanks

S Type 3.0 2006 Quartz/Dove

Old 01-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,548 Likes on 3,957 Posts

You could try the Climate touchscreen. You can make it go very hot, very cold etc and also direct where you want the air. You should be able to hear the motors as the flaps move.

You can do a fair amount even with engine off but ignition on (position II) so you can hear better. Beware of flattening the battery!

Check the fuses as well of course.

I think there's a way to reset the climate system but can't recall how - someone post it please (or try searching)!