Sponsored by:

My 2000 S-Type

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts
Default My 2000 S-Type

As you know I recently acquired my 2000 S-Type from my son and in the short period of time I made a few changes/repairs. Reinstalled the factory radio and installed an ipod connection, replaced the rear brakes, repaired a vacuum leak, replaced the plugs and coil packs, new tires and cleaned it up inside out and also cleaned the engine compartment. This past weekend I took it on a short ride to OC Md. (400+mi round trip) and was very pleased on the quality of the ride and the comfort. I was pleasantly surprised with the 27mpg I got in both directions. I was also impressed with the peppiness of the 3.0 engine, it had enough get up and go at 65 – 70mph more especially low speed maneuvering and peppiness it will scoot and get out of the way on demand. Still miss my 95 XJ6 but this filled the slot very well.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Yep, the 3-litre S-Types are indeed great highway cruisers, perhaps the best bang-for-the-buck sedan cruisers on the road today. That's 90% of why I purchased ours for my wife....

Enjoy....

Old 10-19-2010, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi Gus,

Your experiences seem similar to mine. I traded a 96 XJ6 in for my 2005 S-Type. It has the 3.0 V6 which is plenty for me. The biggest differences I noticed is that the S-Type has a firmer ride. It's also quite a bit more agile than the XJ6 and overall easier to drive due to its smaller size. My highway mileage in the dead of winter was about 32 mpg. As a highway cruiser it's quite nice, although I have to keep a watchful eye on the speedometer. It's also pretty nice on the backroads provided you don't run up on SUVs. Then I get annoyed until I can pass them.

Mike

Old 10-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

That sounds good 32mpg! I got up to 28 but I thought I saw it incorrectly ( at times I have a heavy foot) but I guess it could be better. Good to know! I do like the car better and better every time I drive it.

When I got the car the passenger side door the clear coat was pealing so I had it repainted along with the mirror backs. I also got a small container of clear coat from my buddy that painted it and went around the car looking for the bubbles of clear coat getting ready to peal. I chipped the bubbled section off and dabbed it with the clear coat to prevent the moisture from getting under it and causing it to spread, I hope it works. Something about that Jaguar clear coat.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.0 accolades

Hello guys, My wife just took a trip back home in our car 500 mi. each way with a very respectable 29 MPG checked at the pump average. I can't wait until it's my turn to take her out on a drive. The thing was there is a winding canyon stretch in northern Nevada that she just hates as a matter of fact she closes her eyes when I drive it. she informed me that the car was so smooth she was half way through when she looked down and realized she was driving 75.

Quick question Gus, where did you find a mp3 adapter for the stock radio, or did you wire it in yourself.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:29 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

You guys are making me jealous with the better gas mileage. I was basing my mileage on the trip counter in the car, I will check it with the counter at the pump. As for the ipod I went to this webpage http://www.discountcarstereo.com/default.aspx and asked them for my options and they were great. The one in my S-Type is connected to the radio stock head unit so when I select the CD it goes directly to my ipod. Yes the CD is disconnected to allow this operation but who is still using CD? I have two connections for the ipod one will charge the ipod the other will plug in like a set of ear buds and both work great.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Gus I will get one on the way as soon as possible.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
You guys are making me jealous with the better gas mileage. I was basing my mileage on the trip counter in the car, I will check it with the counter at the pump. As for the ipod I went to this webpage http://www.discountcarstereo.com/default.aspx and asked them for my options and they were great. The one in my S-Type is connected to the radio stock head unit so when I select the CD it goes directly to my ipod. Yes the CD is disconnected to allow this operation but who is still using CD? I have two connections for the ipod one will charge the ipod the other will plug in like a set of ear buds and both work great.
Hi Gus,

Thanks for the link. I did a search for Jaguar and about 5 or so options came up, mostly for 2000-2002 S-Types. There was one so-called universal model though. I still need to buy an IPOD though. I have a Shuffle which is pretty handy on planes, in the office and the like.

Your 28 mpg on the OC run might be in line with what I got on an interstate run since you have to go through a bunch of towns on the way. It's a nice drive though. The bad part is that it makes me wish I had a boat since there are a ton of inlets and rivers in the area.

Mike

Old 10-21-2010, 07:02 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

I have a place on the bay side between 4th & 5th st and we go often good mpg is the way to go. As for the ipod I gave them the year and model and they gave me all the options. They seem to be good people to work with.