S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Cat Gets New Radio Tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014 | 05:21 PM
|
Default My Cat Gets New Radio Tomorrow

I'm super excited that tomorrow my cat is getting a new radio. I own a 2005 S-Type that originally came with a single CD player. No other goodies like phone hook up or anything else. I could have bought off Ebay an OEM 5 disc changer with Navigation but that would have just bought me some old technology. So after posting in the forums and taking some good advice I called Crutchfield for their best radio for my car. They suggested this model
from Alpine. A snappy $999.00 but it has all the bells and whistles. I got all the accessories I need to make it compatible with my steering wheel controls plus the kit that makes it look like it came with the car. I can't say I'm not a bit worried all will go smooth but my local radio tech has a Jaguar himself so paying him for the install $200 is well worth me not getting aggravated because I don't know what I'm doing. I will post pictures once it's installed for everyone to see.

Attached Thumbnails My Cat Gets New Radio Tomorrow-x500inew927-f.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (06-14-2014)
Old 06-12-2014 | 07:30 PM

Nice...$1K for the Radio system and $200 for installation YIKESSS ! I have the factory premium alpine system with 6 cd changer..non-navigation on my 05 S-Type & a 12" aftermarket subwoofer I installed....I would like more features such as Bluetooth..aux...satellite radio..pandora...but I like everything looking factory stock...I would have a nice radio system installed like yours but it would have to look like it was factory installed...the mounting kit frame color would have to match the rest of the plastic surrounding it...Color of the LED's in the radio buttons (if any) would have to match the green from the Jaguar buttons...Can't have green and red or blue LOL...I know I'm picky !

Please post some pics after the installation I would love to see the results !

Old 06-14-2014 | 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
From: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)

Good luck with the new radio. Crutchfield is THE place to go for car audio. Nice folks, lots of help.

Old 06-14-2014 | 05:34 PM
|

Not sure if this got to the thread. Went with a Kenwood DNX691HD. Here are the before and after pics.

Attached Thumbnails My Cat Gets New Radio Tomorrow-radio-before-after.jpg  
Old 06-14-2014 | 10:31 PM

Looks nice...I think the Alpine would have looked sleeker.

Does navigation and everything work on it ? I've seen several cars where people have these expensive car radios with navigation but for some reason the navigation don't work. Did yall get the steering controls to work as well ?

Old 06-15-2014 | 05:26 AM
|

Originally Posted by campaign308
Looks nice...I think the Alpine would have looked sleeker.

Does navigation and everything work on it ? I've seen several cars where people have these expensive car radios with navigation but for some reason the navigation don't work. Did yall get the steering controls to work as well ?
Yes navigation works and steering wheel controls as well.

campaign308 (06-15-2014)
Old 06-15-2014 | 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

I think it looks fabulous. I put a double-DIN Sony in my '03 S-type, also from Crutchfield, and it too looks and performs way better than the stock radio. CD, Bluetooth, Pandora, hands-free phone, aux jack, USB port, steering wheel controls, no nav or touch screen, all for less than $300. And Crutchfield walked me through the installation over the phone in real time. It made a recent 1600 mile round trip so enjoyable. (30mpg on the highway @ 70mph wasn't too hard to take either LOL).

Good luck!

Old 06-15-2014 | 04:08 PM

Looks Good, I think wider would look more stock but might not be an option... Hey Flash, mind posting a pic? and/or a model number. I want to add bluetooth capability and I don't know if FM modulator or a whole new head unit is the way to go.

Old 06-16-2014 | 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bryan Fury
Looks Good, I think wider would look more stock but might not be an option... Hey Flash, mind posting a pic? and/or a model number. I want to add bluetooth capability and I don't know if FM modulator or a whole new head unit is the way to go.
Bryan - Will do first chance I get.

Old 06-17-2014 | 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Looks a bunch better than stock with all those rows of buttons.

Old 06-18-2014 | 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up Sony WX-GT90BT

Hey Flash, mind posting a pic? and/or a model number. I want to add bluetooth capability and I don't know if FM modulator or a whole new head unit is the way to go.
Here you go, Bryan. Before and after. My unit is a Sony WX-GT90BT. You can adjust the lighting to any color you want, so you can match it to the other controls in the car if you like.

Has all the features I wanted - BlueTooth phone & audio, Pandora iPhone compatible, Aux In, USB In, CD, 3 FM groups/2 AM groups, iTunes Cloud compatible, Steering Control compatible with adapter, and other stuff I've yet to explore. Worked great right out of the box. The stock speakers never sounded so good. And I like how uncluttered the console is now.
Steve

Attached Thumbnails My Cat Gets New Radio Tomorrow-console_old.jpg   My Cat Gets New Radio Tomorrow-console_new.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Jumpin' Jag Flash:
Bryan Fury (06-19-2014), Norri (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014 | 07:05 AM

thanks a lot! looks great!

Jumpin' Jag Flash (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014 | 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Default Radio lighting choices

thanks a lot! looks great!
Here a few pics showing some of the lighting choices. Too many choices to show; this is just a small sampling.

Attached Thumbnails My Cat Gets New Radio Tomorrow-sony-faceplate-amber.jpg   My Cat Gets New Radio Tomorrow-sony-faceplate-blue.jpg   My Cat Gets New Radio Tomorrow-sony-faceplate-pink.jpg   My Cat Gets New Radio Tomorrow-sony-faceplate-red.jpg   My Cat Gets New Radio Tomorrow-sony-faceplate-skyblue.jpg  

My Cat Gets New Radio Tomorrow-sony-faceplate-yellow.jpg  
Bryan Fury (07-04-2014)
Old 06-19-2014 | 08:02 PM

Nice ! I'm debating if I should purchase a Pioneer App Radio 3 for my S-Type. I like that it has very few buttons and is mainly screen...I want something that looks like it was put in at the factory...and this Pioneer radio systems looks like it's that I have to do some more research on it but there are two versions of the system one with a CD/DVD player...and one without. Both include Pandora..bluetooth...sirius xm...etc...I think LOL . They go for about $500..which seems reasonable.

I contacted Crutchfield and asked if it was compatible with my Jag and it is..but you got to rewire all the speakers or whatever which seems like quite some work... I would have to hire someone to do that which sounds like it wouldn't be cheap...I'll continue thinking if I should make the purchase or not...anyways good looking radio systems guys !

Attached Thumbnails My Cat Gets New Radio Tomorrow-pioneer-appradio-3-005.jpg   My Cat Gets New Radio Tomorrow-img_9125.jpg  
Jumpin' Jag Flash (06-20-2014)