S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new 2003 S Type R and help requested

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 07:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My new 2003 S Type R and help requested

First I want to thank Sal and AMgeater, you guys are great.

I wound up not buying either car I was looking at but I found a gem in a haystack.

2003 S Type R with 43k miles, one owner and and in PERFECT condition. The navigation CD was never even opened, I can't tell you how pristine the car is, it's literally like new.

I know it's been discussed here and I have been searching but wanted to ask because I can't really tell what I should do. I want to use my phone via Bluetooth and would like to use it through the factory system. I don't care about ipod music but wouldn't mind playing Pandora via bluetooth and would like to see info displayed on the nav screen. How much am I looking at if I source parts used from Ebay and is this a dealer install? Should I simply do parrot install?

I would appreciate everyone's feedback and any direction on what I should do.

Thanks again to everyone, you are all so helpful.

Attached Thumbnails My new 2003 S Type R and help requested-2013-12-16_17-25-50_jag.jpg   My new 2003 S Type R and help requested-2013-12-16_17-25-30_jag.jpg   My new 2003 S Type R and help requested-2013-12-16_17-25-05_jag.jpg   My new 2003 S Type R and help requested-2013-12-16_17-23-59_jag.jpg  
Old 12-16-2013, 08:52 PM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelz
First I want to thank Sal and AMgeater, you guys are great. I wound up not buying either car I was looking at but I found a gem in a haystack. 2003 S Type R with 43k miles, one owner and and in PERFECT condition. The navigation CD was never even opened, I can't tell you how pristine the car is, it's literally like new. I know it's been discussed here and I have been searching but wanted to ask because I can't really tell what I should do. I want to use my phone via Bluetooth and would like to use it through the factory system. I don't care about ipod music but wouldn't mind playing Pandora via bluetooth and would like to see info displayed on the nav screen. How much am I looking at if I source parts used from Ebay and is this a dealer install? Should I simply do parrot install? I would appreciate everyone's feedback and any direction on what I should do. Thanks again to everyone, you are all so helpful.
Can't help you with your request but nice ride, same color as mine. Tint your side markers(search for the post with my name).

The following users liked this post:
michaelz (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 02:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,549 Likes on 3,958 Posts

You'll need a BT module and quite likely some wiring. Other threads explain but it's not just plug & go as I recall.

michaelz (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

wow car looks immaculate!

michaelz (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Well you can give up on finding used modules to do the upgrade. I have been looking for 5+ years and still no luck. If you do find them they will be expensive.

I would search on this forum for blue Tooth to see what others have used from the aftermarket.

michaelz (12-17-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 01:19 PM

Guys - thanks for all your help and suggestions. I guess I'll go Parrot as it doesn't seem like it will be very cost effective for me to go OEM.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! Beautiful car michaelz!!! I thought my find was a steal (03 S T R w/ 65000 om). FYI, the part needed is roughly $1000-1200 and unless you find a installer that will cover any oe electrical equipment it's dealer time. Hope this helps

Old 01-07-2014, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by bluenoserules
Wow! Beautiful car michaelz!!! I thought my find was a steal (03 S T R w/ 65000 om). FYI, the part needed is roughly $1000-1200 and unless you find a installer that will cover any oe electrical equipment it's dealer time. Hope this helps
Thanks Blue; I think I'll just go the Parrot or similar route when I'm ready. That kind of money doesn't warrant it in my opinion. Just out of curiosity; did you invest in the work or did you just price it out as well?

Old 01-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Have you considered simply replacing the factory radio with an after-market model that has Bluetooth? Most of the major audio manufacturers offer radio / CD / BT models that will fit this car and retain all the features of the factory-installed radio, inc. steering wheel controls. Plus many integrate with Pandora - including on screen display; and they cost under $500. Check out these guys...
Crutchfield

Also, check out this Jaguar Forum thread...
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...estions-87190/

Last edited by Jumpin' Jag Flash; 01-08-2014 at 09:05 AM. Reason: post was incomplete
bluenoserules (01-08-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,549 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Will they work with the satnav screen? It's D2B & CAN etc...

Old 01-08-2014, 12:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I priced it out when I first bought the car. I ended up buying a plug in FM module that has a hands free option. Only problem is I can only use the hands free mode when the phone is plugged in and playing through the appropriate FM station. Works for now, I'm sure I will outgrow it around tax return time!

Jumpin' Jag Flash (01-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
Will they work with the satnav screen? It's D2B & CAN etc...
Don't know for sure if they integrate with factory SAT-NAV. I'm no audio expert, so it's a question best answered by the techies at Crutchfield. Neither my '01 nor '03 has factory SAT/NAV so it was a non-issue for me.

Some of these new radios have their own built-in SAT-NAV as well as the ability to play DVD movies - neither of which interests me as I prefer a stand alone GPS on my dash and don't wish to watch a film while I drive LOL.

Like the OP, both Bluetooth and Pandora integration is important to me. Many new radios today have this. Some even have an external USB port to play tunes from a thumb drive or play/charge your iPod. Like everything else - the more features, the higher the price. But car audio has come a long way for sure.

Last edited by Jumpin' Jag Flash; 01-09-2014 at 08:17 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-09-2014, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jumpin' Jag Flash
Don't know for sure if they integrate with factory SAT-NAV. I'm no audio expert, so it's a question best answered by the techies at Crutchfield. Neither my '01 nor '03 has factory SAT/NAV so it was a non-issue for me.

Some of these new radios have their own built-in SAT-NAV as well as the ability to play DVD movies - neither of which interests me as I prefer a stand alone GPS on my dash and don't wish to watch a film while I drive LOL.

Like the OP, both Bluetooth and Pandora integration is important to me. Many new radios today have this. Some even have an external USB port to play tunes from a thumb drive or play/charge your iPod. Like everything else - the more features, the higher the price. But car audio has come a long way for sure.
My only concern is I have the factory nav screen that controls other things as well. I don't really want to lose that.

Jumpin' Jag Flash (01-17-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 12:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man . . . that is a sweet find! Best to get w/o navi for upgrade reasons correct?

Old 01-09-2014, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member

If you have factory navigation you can't replace the radio because no aftermarket head unit can control the Jaguar heating/AC.

If you are really stuck on this it has been suggested that first you convert the car to a factory non-navigation setup and then spend even more money to replace that with an aftermarket head unit.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thx tbird6 for the info! Seems as though w/o navi is the way to go.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

Yes and the aftermarket head units are miles ahead of the Jaguar factory stuff.

Not real impressed with the factory navigation but it came with the car so I won't be tearing it out. I added the ACM several years ago and pretty much only use the USB for music.
Just very handy!

Old 01-15-2014, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6
If you have factory navigation you can't replace the radio because no aftermarket head unit can control the Jaguar heating/AC.

If you are really stuck on this it has been suggested that first you convert the car to a factory non-navigation setup and then spend even more money to replace that with an aftermarket head unit.
Yes, you actually CAN.

You need a Climate control module out of a Non Nav car. U dont need the radio or anything bc 99.99% of the nav cars had the alpine system.

So you need a new radio, and at least a 4ch amp, and 2 way crossovers to run the factory alpine speakers, at the bare minimum.

All the speaker wires are in the trunk at the alpine amp harness.

Power wires will be behind the dash at the factory radio location you can use a regular s-type harness. Same with the antenna.

So the only thing that changes is the fact that you have to get a non nav CCM. Other than that, everything is the same as every other non nav alpine equipped STR. I have NEVER seen an STR that didnt come from the factory with the alpine stereo.

I've done stereo installs to varying degrees on many STR's. It's not rocket science. It's just an all or nothing proposition. You either leave it all factory (except for changing the speakers, or adding a sub & amp). OR you rip all the audio electronics out and start again.

Take care,

George

Old 01-15-2014, 01:57 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Your leaper is backwards!!

Other than that - and as others have already said: NICE LOOKING RIDE!!

Also as others have said, relative to adding the BT Module... Not all as just plug & go, as you would think, and personally, I would just skip that for either a portable kit or headset and be done with it.

Then... ENJOY your "new" Kitty!!!
SCORE!!!!!
Cheers,
-Grant

Old 01-15-2014, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

So what are going to use to operate the heating/AC?? You need more than the module.

You need the factory non-navigation controls installed and you can only do that IF you DO NOT have factory navigation.

You need this in the dash before you can replace the factory radio.

Attached Thumbnails My new 2003 S Type R and help requested-non-navigation.png  

Quick Reply: My new 2003 S Type R and help requested