Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new 'BORLAFLOW' exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default My new 'BORLAFLOW' exhaust system

Just welded up today front to back.

The guys working on my car did a masterful job and tweaked adjusted and prodded every imperfection before I could even muster a word. The components went on straight as an arrow... my only complaint was they were out of stainless so I had to go with aluminum for the extra piping which recieved a ceramic coating.

The drive home was fun. I wasn't able to get on it as much as I'd like because of loose audio components in the trunk but I was able to get a good 60-70mph cruise going and she was sweeeeeeet. No annoying drone, just a light hum.

Here's a few girly-man revs I gave after getting home. Couldn't get on it as much as I like because of my crazy old widowed neighbor who was peeking through the blinds. I"ll post a better vid soon..

YouTube - ‪JAGUAR S TYPE R custom exhaust soft revs‬‏

Magnaflow High flow cats
Magnaflow X pipie
Magnaflow 4" resonators straight through
Borla Stainlees steel mufflers with 4" tips

2.5" all the way through

Old 05-21-2011, 02:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

When I saw your thread I was planning to ask your video clip , you already did it lol
Idle sound is cool

Old 05-21-2011, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

I like! Chris. She sounds beautiful, very European; idle through the rev range. Is she loud during cruise? R U runnin 2 1/2" pipe throughout? Can U describe the Magnaflow 4" resonators? Can Borla's be mail ordered? How much? I want em.

Last edited by bfsgross; 05-21-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Same setup I have except I haven't had the cats installed yet and I have 2.25 pipe. Mine sounds just like that except I don't get the poping on decel. Wonder if that's the cats or the pipe?

I think it's the perfect sound for the car, not to loud at cruise or idle but let's you know it's not your average S-type.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

Chris,

That sounds really good!

I can't wait to hear this tomorrow. I have old neighbors to though dammit!!

Did you ever figure out your coolant leak btw?

Take care,

George

Old 05-21-2011, 02:59 PM

Seth,

Thanx buddy. I converted the whole system to 2.5" -- in my experience you get less raspinesss that way... better sound. Losing torque with an extra .25" with a 400hp car is not a big concern for me. Other mods are coming.

DRONE NOT AN ISSUE. Her highway cruise sound is perfect. A light hum when your just on the pedal. Near silence when you get off of it.

I'm using the Borla ProXS muffler... nearly the same dimensions as the oft used Magnaflow muffers. The 4" Magnaflow resonators aren't glass packs but straight through design just like the mufflers. Here are links to both

Borla 40358 - Borla ProXS Mufflers - Overview - SummitRacing.com
MagnaFlow 10416 - MagnaFlow Performance Mufflers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I chose the Borla mufflers bc they are made from a higher grade steel (T304) and in my experience sound a bit more refined than the Magnaflows. I'm very happy.

I will let you guys know how she performs after I go to George's house tommorow (Sunday) and bolt down the audio equipment in the trunk.

P.S. The coolant leak isn't coming from the upper hose assembly. I'm going to have to get underneath to check. I'm losing a fractional amount a day.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

qwikcat, pop on hi-flo cats...big difference in throttle response and hp gain. The 2.50" pipe both quiets her down and breath. Pop on a "Mafioso" air intake elbow and a 3 lb pulley and you'll make greater than stock low end trq. at lower RPM's. Chris, thanks for the links to the mufflers.

Last edited by bfsgross; 05-21-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:01 PM

I have the high flow cats already just haven't installed them yet. My 3# and water inj goes on in the next Few weeks along with a few other toys. I still disagree with the needs 2.50 to breath. Of course you will make better then stock TQ with upgrades just the smaller pipe will make even more. We will see as it progresses at what point the pipe will be a bottle neck an need to be changed, flow numbers show a good 2.25 is fine to 15-16 psi. Once I start spraying it and get the port the pipe might be an issue and at that point I will change it. I just want to see where that point is if I hit it at all?

Old 05-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member

Good strategy.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by qikcat
I have the high flow cats already just haven't installed them yet. My 3# and water inj goes on in the next Few weeks along with a few other toys. I still disagree with the needs 2.50 to breath. Of course you will make better then stock TQ with upgrades just the smaller pipe will make even more. We will see as it progresses at what point the pipe will be a bottle neck an need to be changed, flow numbers show a good 2.25 is fine to 15-16 psi. Once I start spraying it and get the port the pipe might be an issue and at that point I will change it. I just want to see where that point is if I hit it at all?
+1 on questioning 2.50" making it breath, only time will tell when the dynos are out in comparing the .25" and .5" diameter pipes

Last edited by jag79; 05-21-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Sounds great Chris, same setup as mine but without the resonators, and instead of Borlas I have the Magnaflows. Sound more or less identical. What 4" tips did you go with?

Old 05-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That thing sounds great...If i ever get around to it I'm going to do something similar from axle back. Not going to bother with the cats or stock crossover pipe however. Dont see the need in a DD, i just want a good throaty sound and to let people now its not just a looker when i roll by.

The following users liked this post:
ChrisSTR (05-24-2011)
Old 05-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Just ordered the Borlas from Summit (next day). Couldn't resist and want her to wear them to Pittsburgh. Thanks Chris.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:42 AM

No problem brother.

3lb pulley and Mafioso intake next for me. Few more weeks.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:52 AM

Links to mufflers were helpful, forgot to mention that as well. Ill probably use the dimension specs of the ones you bought with a cheaper version. If its nothing more than a resonator you could find something for $25 a piece for the same function minus material quality, but I'm not going to sweat that. As i stated I'm not looking to squeeze every hp possible out of her just want an agressive note, that doesnt drone at cruising speed on the highway, and i wont have it long enough to exhaust lifetime of the lesser material muffler/resonator anyways.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:12 PM

The main advantage to the higher quality resonators is the flow through design as with the high flow cats. If you just want the sound you could get most of that from any brand but the flow and materials will affect the sound in one way of another.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:15 PM

Ive heard people argue that a stainless material will help cut out drone and other things. I certainly wont be going with a glasspack type or anything like that, shouldve been more clear. I agree a quality type resonator will be a flow thru design normally just look like an empty coffee can inside or something similar. But a typical alumized resonator or something similar would probably suit me just fine.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:24 PM

Sup guys. The cat is at Detailing Dynamics in Mineola, NY( Custom formulated car wax, paint sealant, polish, compound, car accessory, car care tips and auto detailing. ) getting a full detail and headlight restoration. Thought I'd report back:

I've had a few days to test her out now that things are secure in my trunk. I had a small exhaust leak that I also got addressed and now she's running smoothlly.

When the car is in it's power band and in the right gear she accelerates more effortlessly now. Using the J-gate brings out a tiger that wasn't quite there before. A slight loss of low end torque but expected on a bone stock car otherwise (K&N filter notwithstanding). Throttle response is improved, as is mid to high range acceleration, albeit slightly. Sound still is perfect to me. Low hum at highway cruise to let you know she's there -- nothing annoying. Near dead stock like silence when coming off the gas, and a sexy small growl at idle.

3lb pulley + my Mafioso intake in a few more weeks. More HP, more torque at the low to midrange where I want it.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisSTR
Sup guys. The cat is at Detailing Dynamics in Mineola, NY( Custom formulated car wax, paint sealant, polish, compound, car accessory, car care tips and auto detailing. ) getting a full detail and headlight restoration. Thought I'd report back:

I've had a few days to test her out now that things are secure in my trunk. I had a small exhaust leak that I also got addressed and now she's running smoothlly.

When the car is in it's power band and in the right gear she accelerates more effortlessly now. Using the J-gate brings out a tiger that wasn't quite there before. A slight loss of low end torque but expected on a bone stock car otherwise (K&N filter notwithstanding). Throttle response is improved, as is mid to high range acceleration, albeit slightly. Sound still is perfect to me. Low hum at highway cruise to let you know she's there -- nothing annoying. Near dead stock like silence when coming off the gas, and a sexy small growl at idle.

3lb pulley + my Mafioso intake in a few more weeks. More HP, more torque at the low to midrange where I want it.
Chris that box hasn't flinched has it?

Take care,

George

Old 05-25-2011, 06:51 PM

Steady as a rock!

The following users liked this post:
PaleRider (05-27-2011)

Quick Reply: My new 'BORLAFLOW' exhaust system