Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My S Type diesel issues - advice needed please

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
Hi John and greetings from down under;

I must admit my first reaction to your revelation that black tape had been applied to mask these vital mssg outputs, was one of real dread. Second, third and fourth reaction applies to each of the big, brawny monsters that you take with you to the seller's to demand a full and immediate refund.

Please tell us you are joking when you wonder why this was done? Not all the crims were transported to Australia mate! Seriously, I have no idea of your legal rights in such an obvious case of fraud and dishonest trading. From many previous threads (incl UK Forum) I would think that you do not have to prove dishonesty by the seller - simply that it was sold to you unfit for purpose. Someone who knows the facts, please chime in to advise John.

In the meantime, there is something tangible and important you can do, if you are determined to try to salvage this car.. Purchase an OBDII code reader of the type recommended by JagV8, Mikey and others - and follow a simple but systematic read of the codes and warnings your car throws up - possibly heaps for some unscrupulous "bar steward" to go to this much trouble. Without all this basic info, coupled to your model, year etc, any "fly by the seat of your pants" approach will prob be a costly waste of time.

Sorry John. Not wishing to offend; but this has all the smell of a scam.
Thanks for being honest Ken. I am not too worried as yet, I know that my car will get sorted, preferably by myself as I do like to know my cars if you know what I mean, it just takes time! I don't believe the chap who sold me the car was the culprit who put the black tape on. I think he is a victim as well. The car was last Mot'd last June so the hand brake was working at that point but the recorded readings were very low then.
I will be getting a code reader but need more info on what to go for, so more research needed.
Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.
John.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Check elec diagram / handbook for fuses & General Tech / google for IDS/SDD not to mention my sig.

The following users liked this post:
johnnysvoid (01-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Ah John, John, John:

No need to explain - i got infected with the Jag bug 40yrs ago. You sound determined enough to get this licked - and learn a lot along the way. A word from the wise though - very quietly while JagV8 is out of the room ...

You are now surrounded by some very talented and experienced people here, but they are spread pretty thin so use them well - there is plenty of personal homework needed on the basics. Learn how to filter your searches, both here, on other forums, and on the broader giggle.com ...

Your question about preferred code scanner is an example. One could answer AE or ELM327, Foxwell NT624 or Memoscan U581. Better answer, as per JagV8, is go to "General Tech Help" > Sticky "OBDII Code Scanners" and read up on the nearly 20 pages of posts. The advantage is you will better understand the issues, resolve what you want to do, then make your own informed choice. One size does not fit all.

Now that we have embarrassed the heck out of our resident gurus, go for it with a vengeance. Best wishes, and keep us posted with your progress ...

johnnysvoid (01-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 06:37 AM

Right I have just been down to car.
Battery still not showing full charge on the chargers indicator ( red-amber-green) -showing amber. Meter shows 13.3v while on charge.
I have tested motor as instructed. Run it to brakes on, then back, repeated, all seems free enough. Reconnected the brake module, ignition on but still no functions from the brake lever/ switch or any requests from the message centre to apply brakes etc...
Is this now pointing to a faulty brake module? or does it need to be hooked up to some diagnostics. If the latter I would prefer to purchase my own. I have started looking at the recommendations but such a lot to go through! The enginuity seems to be good but can it diagnose faulty modules and also will it re-program key fobs. I have also noticed that the prices in the States are cheaper than the uk from what I have seen.
John.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Could be faulty or I suppose could be damaged wiring to it or another faulty module?

If I were going to DIY I'd get a clone JLR Mongoose. I'd get an elm327 as well, but not for this specific problem.

johnnysvoid (01-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Could be faulty or I suppose could be damaged wiring to it or another faulty module?

If I were going to DIY I'd get a clone JLR Mongoose. I'd get an elm327 as well, but not for this specific problem.
I am looking for a mongoose now + old laptop.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:53 AM

Can anyone tell me where I can get mongoose software vers 130 from?
I am about to order a mongoose clone but the software is vers 131. I have read this needs a newer panasonic laptop to run it. I will be getting hold of the older laptop so need the older software - correct me if I am wrong?
If anyone would be kind enough to let me have a copy I will obviously cover costs.
Thanks.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:36 PM

OK I found one!