S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Silly Repair Story- There Is A Lesson Here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default My Silly Repair Story- There Is A Lesson Here!

I've had my S Type V8 car two years now. It's basically a Sunday car that I bought to enjoy and keep in good shape a long time. Even though half the people I know want to tell me horror Jaguar reliability stories, I hadn't had a single issue with mine, driving it from the 23,000 I got it with, up to just under 30,000 today.

Well, I did have one issue. I was sitting waiting for a traffic light and it started running rough. When the light changed I hit the gas and it bogged down and stalled. It felt like I ran out of gas although I had a quarter tank. I coasted to a parking space and tried it a bunch of times. I even waited an hour to try it again. Called AAA free towing and had it taken to my normal general garage. Old time mechanic who collects VWs and Harleys. Says he can fix anything and had done so for me in the three years I've lived in this town.

So I tell him I don't think it's getting gas. He tells me it's getting gas but won't start. He doesn't have a computer so he tells me it's gotta be sensors etc and is beyond him. I'm still working on the gas issue so I fill up my large can and add gas. The gas gauge goes up a little assuring me that it is working. Car still doesn't start.

Call AAA for another free tow to a more modern shop he recommends. It sits there a week, but I feel a bit more confident since their lot is full of Mercedes and other Euro cars. I'm thinking fuel pump, so I look it up. I use the Rock Auto site to check out parts and I compare the fuel pumps for the Jaguar S and a Lincoln LS. Same part and less than $200. I'm feeling a bit better.

The car had sat at the shop a week and I call to inquire. I'm told they'll at least look at it that day. Maybe two hours later I get a call that the car is ready for pickup. What? No diagnosis or repair authorization? I'm starting to worry. My wife drops me off and I see the guy at the main desk. He pulls out a bill and says it's $41.00! One hour service charge and a dollar for a friggin 15 amp fuse! Yup, it was just the fuse to the fuel pump. Feeling stupid and relieved at the same time!

The technician makes sure he takes me out to the car and even shows me which fuse in the trunk fuse box it is in case I have the same issue again. He does warn me that this could be a sign of a bigger issue and if I have a problem, pop a new fuse in and bring it back. Very nice guys who could have soaked me if they weren't so honest. Now you know where I'm bringing the Jag for service!

That was six months ago and I haven't had an issue since. I'm just hoping it was a year 2000 fuse that had failed. Still carry a few in the console and knocking on wood!

The following 2 users liked this post by Jaguar S Type:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-08-2013), Stephen (07-16-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 12:52 PM
VMV
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad to hear this was so simple a problem. Reading your post I was thinking fuel pump failure but it always pas to diagnose the exact problem. It's great to you found a competent , honest shop to get it fixed.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

People may lament at what Ford did to Jaguar during the years it had the brand, but the change in dependability should overshadow all other issues. My S-Type R has had over 25K miles added in a year and a half with the electric cooling fan as the only part failure aside from maintenance items.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:13 PM

And the lesson is to always check the easy and cheap stuff first. My Jag got two flat bed rides before that dollar fuse was discovered!

Old 07-08-2013, 05:42 PM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Two free rides, one tiny bill and found a good service shop.

With luck like that, you should have bought a lottery ticket the same week.

Graham

Old 07-09-2013, 04:56 PM

I buy a lottery ticket every week. That's my retirement plan!

Old 07-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I had exact same issue with my car. First time it happened, replaced the fuse and good for 4-5 months (no problem) and then the interval started to get shorter to a point it'll happen 5 times a day (used to keep a box in my trunk) and then I had to replace my Fuel Pump...

Last edited by RizwanSharp; 07-09-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

As the brushes in the motors of the pump wear, the current demand starts to get greater. I supposed it could have been a fluke, but if it blows it again, you either have an intermittent short out there somewhere, or a pump that is slowly dying.

You can get a rockauto pump for under $100.

Take care,

George