S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My trans is broke

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My trans is broke

Ok so yesterday my cd changer seemed like a pain. Today my trans is burned up with pieces of metal in the pan. After a good heading banging session, I am wondering would a used trans from same model but v-6 instead of v-8 work for replacement? I have found a recent rebuild from a v-6 model available locally. My car sits currently at a Cottman Trans shop waiting for a call. I dont really know how bad this call will be, but I can surmise not very good. I started looking for a rebuilt or good used rebuilt as this trans is toast.The car shook and bucked and made grinding noises so bad I almost jumped out and ran away. Gearbox fault illuminated on the dash shortly thereafter. If I cant get a decent price locally I will install myself. That being said if the v-6 and v-8 trans are the same I may already have the answer available. Thanks once yet again.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

The trans you are looking for is the Ford 5R55N - 5 Speed Transmission. I believe these trans are common place behind both the 3.0 V6 and 4.0 V8 engines. These trans can also be had out of the Lincoln LS according to another member on this forum.. Good Luck!

The following 2 users liked this post by abonano:
Amadauss (05-29-2012), Zippy8792 (05-28-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Received 6,312 Likes on 5,499 Posts

I also think they are both the same.
Keep us posted on your progress.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

It is as said a common trans so parts availability is excellent and trans shops should know what to do. You do not need a Jag place or jag parts. Sorry to hear about it!

Old 05-30-2012, 10:03 AM

My car is off to the repair shop will post final thought and costs for this adventure

Old 05-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

A bad trans at 40k miles is shocking. If the miles were not so good it wouldn't be worth swapping the trans. Does the car have a clean title?

Old 05-31-2012, 07:12 AM

Donor trans was rebuilt 2000 miles ago with upgraded parts has paperwork. other car lost its engine at that time. It is currently being gone through again. I will plan on having a spare from this point on so if it should fail again my down time will be limited.

Last edited by Zippy8792; 05-31-2012 at 07:15 AM. Reason: added thought
Old 05-31-2012, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

It's very odd. We get hardly any (just a few) people with just one or another problem (such as the 4-3 prestroke spring) but not people with multiple trans failure.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:18 AM

Does anyone know if the internal parts from a V-6 3.0 trans are the same as a 4.0 V-8 trans. The model of the trans is 5R55N. I have a donor trans from a V-6 but the case at the bell housing is different. The V-6 trans was just rebuilt with all new upgraded parts. I looked up rebuild kits and i think they are the same.Thanks for your help.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:23 AM

Car has clean title. It was owned by an older gentleman that only drove it on nice days. The last several years he became ill and the car just sat most of the time. It has never seen snow or rain. I have driven it about 1500 miles since I got it and all was good till last weekend when the trans gave out. I even upgraded all the items on the engine as per forum posts. Was on my way to do a trans filter and fluid change when the trans decided to head south

Old 05-31-2012, 08:27 AM

@ Jag V-8 I didnt have multiple trans failure just saying if I ever did have another one fail I will have a spare in the barn. This is kinda a good lesson in low miles cars. Not everything will reflect the low mileage. Car looks amazing but the gremlins will surface over time and I am sure this will not be the last of my issues with this pretty car

Old 06-04-2012, 07:44 AM

Got car back from repair shop. Things observed: V-6 and V-8 transmission two different items as bell housings do not match up. The insides of the transmissions are similar with some items being different . Find a knowledgeable mechanic as the one I used was a complete hack. I didnt realize this until about day number 2 of the 6 he had my car. Book calls for 4.7 to pull trans and it took them about 15 hrs to do this removal. He then sent the trans to a "buddy" and got it "fixed". I had to go on the final day and literally help his young protege reinstall and fill the trans. Took us about 6 hrs as I had to run around and get the right fluids and a couple of tools they didn't have. Started the car seems to run and shift fine but I have a power steering type noise coming from the convertor. I am guessing either front pump or convertor is bad. not sure just yet. This guy really did me no favors and I am sure I will be pulling the trans shortly. This time I will put a reman in and have a long warranty. The shop charged me 1500 for this incredible headache and I just wanted it out of there before some else went wrong. I guess I will chalk it up to experience and there wont be a next time. This shop owner was the type that "knew everything about these cars" I asked for a list of what was done and he told me "these things are normally done with a handshake and I have a warranty for 6 months so dont worry about it" This place was in Pontiac Michigan. Name of the Shop is "Tune Master" they have been there a long time but I certainly wont be going back again and wouldn't recommend them to anyone else for fear of the outcome of said visit. I guess I should have know better because all the other shops in the area said the job would take between 6-10 days due to work load. This guy tells me I will have it done 1-2 days max so is why I went there. And still my trans has a problem and is not quite fixed. Sorry had to vent.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Zippy8792
Got car back from repair shop. Things observed: V-6 and V-8 transmission two different items as bell housings do not match up. The insides of the transmissions are similar with some items being different . Find a knowledgeable mechanic as the one I used was a complete hack. I didnt realize this until about day number 2 of the 6 he had my car. Book calls for 4.7 to pull trans and it took them about 15 hrs to do this removal. He then sent the trans to a "buddy" and got it "fixed". I had to go on the final day and literally help his young protege reinstall and fill the trans. Took us about 6 hrs as I had to run around and get the right fluids and a couple of tools they didn't have. Started the car seems to run and shift fine but I have a power steering type noise coming from the convertor. I am guessing either front pump or convertor is bad. not sure just yet. This guy really did me no favors and I am sure I will be pulling the trans shortly. This time I will put a reman in and have a long warranty. The shop charged me 1500 for this incredible headache and I just wanted it out of there before some else went wrong. I guess I will chalk it up to experience and there wont be a next time. This shop owner was the type that "knew everything about these cars" I asked for a list of what was done and he told me "these things are normally done with a handshake and I have a warranty for 6 months so dont worry about it" This place was in Pontiac Michigan. Name of the Shop is "Tune Master" they have been there a long time but I certainly wont be going back again and wouldn't recommend them to anyone else for fear of the outcome of said visit. I guess I should have know better because all the other shops in the area said the job would take between 6-10 days due to work load. This guy tells me I will have it done 1-2 days max so is why I went there. And still my trans has a problem and is not quite fixed. Sorry had to vent.
You should put that review on his yelp business page or google business pages, so the next customer can know what to expect.