S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My turn for a valley pipe...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 06:21 AM
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My turn for a valley pipe...

Title says it all really, after fixing up all the issues with the STR I bought back in February, I've had circa 5000 happy, fault-free miles, and she's wanted for nothing but a set of front pads.

Imagine my surprise when, on a Sunday run, I get a red light, coolant low, and so much steam I could no longer see the road. Pulled straight over and turned her off. Had a good look under the bonnet and couldn't find the source, but the entire left side/top of the engine was covered in coolant. I figured it was one of the hoses in the nest at the front that had split, and wasn't too worried.

Got the car recovered home, and now I've done a bit of digging, I no longer think I'm that lucky. I'm now pretty much sure it's the valley pipe. *****.

I've found a couple of threads which will help me through it, but it looks like a monster job! Any tips from those who have done this before are much appreciated, reckon this one will keep me busy for a week. Wish me luck!!

As an aside, having looked at the design, all I can think is that Jaguar let the work experience kid design this bit. I've found a few threads discussing replacing with silicone hose, but I don't think this gets to the crux of the problem - there really shouldn't be a 'wear part' running through such an inaccessible 'oven' in the middle of a performance engine like this, it's sheer idiocy! Is there an opportunity to re-route it around the right bank, for instance? Or am I just clutching at straws?

Old 10-13-2014, 04:48 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

That Stinks. I Hope After You Really Get In There You Find It's Something Simpler.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:38 PM
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsambem
I've found a few threads discussing replacing with silicone hose, but I don't think this gets to the crux of the problem - there really shouldn't be a 'wear part' running through such an inaccessible 'oven' in the middle of a performance engine like this, it's sheer idiocy! Is there an opportunity to re-route it around the right bank, for instance? Or am I just clutching at straws?
Please consider a repair with stock parts and then hope to get another 8-12 years out of those same parts. Also consider using stock hose clamps.