Sponsored by:

My Writeup on Supercharger Belt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
Default My Writeup on Supercharger Belt Replacement

I did not see one in the searches so here is mine

1: remove front fanshield...4 plastic push screws
2: remove intake pipe..2 7mm screws and pop off pcv to move it completely out of the way.(clean the MAF while there)
3: Remove front ram intake.. 2 plastic screws...I did this just for more arm room
4 Remove expansion tank...1 8mm bolt right side.. 1 half twist sensor underneath, it twists to the left..2 compression clipped hoses on top, and 1 large snap clip fitting underneath. Pop off the tank from the one main connection. This is messy as I did not drain the tank..so I just put a large catch pan under the car but it is still messy.
5. With a 1/2 drive ratchet or any type of bar with a 1/2 drive, insert into the recess on tensioner and move tensioner to the right as far as possible.
There is a rigid pipe that is semi impeding upon the recess so I used a 3/8 drive ratchet with a 1/2 adapter and put a bar over the handle..The smaller head worked a little easier.
6. While fully un-tensioned, pry belt off of SC Pulley...it can be done by hand but i used a long thin flat screw driver.
7. Now here is the part that was unusual. AS you will see(or know) the tensioner is reversed, meaning that it is bolted on with the bracket in front so the belt just does not come off..as its blocked by the bracket( lame designe and first i have ever seen like this) Additionally, the clearence between the tensioner, and the pully behind it is maybe 1/8th of an inch. There is a bolt holding that pulley that I could not get the belt past.
I could not twist the belt enough and slip it by and I tried for 1/2 hour.

I considered cutting the belt off...but it was very hard to determine if i could then fit the new belt past. In the end..since I was so far along, I took a gamble and did cut the belt.

8..As it turns out, putting on the new belt, and fitting it past the miniscule clearance worked out far easier than expected. I sprayed a little lubricant in that area and holding the new belt flat, worked it through ..think flossing your teeth.
9. Route belt and pull tight up toward sc pulley and hold belt while moving tensioner again and slip what you can of new belt onto sc pulley. It is much more difficult to slip new belt onto sc pulley than it is taking old one off..it showed how much my old belt had stretched over time. I had to pry the new belt over the sc pully carefully and slowely with a flat thin screwdriver.

10 Put everything back together and refill coolant.

For my car, this made a significant difference...I could tell anyway that I was getting slippage due to how the car accelerated, almost like turbo lag...now it is instant and smooth power.
The belt I got was the one on ebay for 35 bucks. It is a Great belt from contitech..what is realy nice about it is that the backside of the belt is like sandpaper, a gripping texture.

Hope this helps !!

The following 2 users liked this post by fergs03R:
Gas turbine (02-20-2024), Mike14k (07-29-2011)
Old 02-18-2024, 05:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks fergs03R! Even after all these years, your post was invaluable in helping me replace the supercharger drive belt. My repair was slightly different in that I was trying to replace the supercharger idler pulley which requires you to change the belt as well. I am attaching a video link to my repair that will add some visuals to your comments above. There are more videos in a series but this one sums up everything.

Here is the link

Last edited by JSCanuck; 02-18-2024 at 07:26 PM.