S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My X-type saved my mom's life...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts
Default My X-type saved my mom's life...

So my mom has been visiting from Greece for about 3 weeks. She lives over there now, ever since my father passed.

As some of you who know me know, I have an S-type, and an awd X-Type as a winter beater, and I just picked up a Mercedes 500sl.

For the duration of her stay, My mother has been driving the X-Type.

Well Thursday around 11:45am I got the call no one wants to get. Your mother has been in an accident, she's at the hospital.

I race over there to find that she has been taken into surgery to repair a ruptured blood vessel behind her septum. Her nose was broken, and the blood vessel ruptured, but other than and that some facial abrasions and bruises she's fine. At the time I had no clue what happened.

Well as the day went on, and she came out of surgery ok, (they called a plastic surgeon in to stitch her face and set her nose), the police showed up at the hospital and I got my first inkling as to what happened. An Acura TL veered into her lane, and they collided offset head on, at about 40mph or so a piece. There is still an ongoing investigation as to what happened. You can also see the TL in the background with it's fender peeled back.

She is very lucky to have walked away with just the relative superficial injuries that she has. I went and saw the Jag this morning. Wow. Crumple zones work.... Airbags work. Although most of her injuries are a direct result of the bag, the Dr's were like be thankful, we've seen people before there were airbags, and it would be a much different scene. You can see the telltale dried blood if you look closely on the bag.

I was actually very impressed with the performance of the X in the collision.

Should I get another X as a winter car? I've been sort of considering an SUV for its utilitarian / cargo capacity.

Take care,

George

Here are some pics:

Attached Thumbnails My X-type saved my mom's life...-jaguar1.jpg   My X-type saved my mom's life...-jaguar2.jpg   My X-type saved my mom's life...-jaguar4.jpg   My X-type saved my mom's life...-jaguar3.jpg  
Old 09-18-2010, 11:03 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank the heavens your mother is ok. I pray she'll make a speedy recovery.

The beastliness of the Jaguar may have saved the day here. The car is heavy and can take impacts that would obliterate most cars on the road.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,359 Likes on 2,850 Posts

Glad to learn that your mom came out of it as well as she did. She was indeed fortunate. Give her our best wishes from all the members of the forum here....

As far as a pure winter vehicle is concerned, get yourself a small car-based SUV. Less costly to repair and insure, and it hauls cargo so much better. I recommend a low-mileage Subaru Outback from three or four model years back. One of the best all-wheel-drive systems out there, superb engineering, and they hold their value beautifully. That's what I wanted instead of the 2004 Lexus RX330 that my wife wanted. I lost that battle, but I still say that an Outback would have been a better decision....

Old 09-18-2010, 11:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad she is OK, I know how it is a horrible thing to hear of family in an accident.

I was working in the Bahamas and got a call from my wife that she'd been in an accident and have phone then went dead!!! I freaked and flew all the way to Texas. It was bad, but the Ford Explorer saved her life. The car was completely wrecked but the interior totally fine. She had bruises on her face because she put her hands in front of her face to brace for impact and then of course the airbag blew.

Can seriously recommend the Explorer.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am happy that your mom is ok.
I worry about my mom all the time when she drives...

Old 09-18-2010, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Hi George, again we're very thankful your mom is safe. In a few weeks it may be prudent to refer her to a chiropractic physician to help restore proper biomechanical function to her spine thus nervous system. I find my patients fair much better under chiropractic care following automobile accidents. The X-Type deserves credit in absorbing the impact. I had an 02 X-Type 3.0 and it def. was heavy metal (3500+ lbs.).

Old 09-19-2010, 04:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

That was a serious accident and glad your mom walked away with it . I hope she gets a fast recovery soon and never involve any nasty collision

Good thing is that X Type made its duty by saving her life .
SUV ? If you want something solid I would say Chevrolet Tahoe but it's for sure a gas guzzler then a diesel MB SUV would suit well

Old 09-20-2010, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

That's scary! I'm glad she's basically OK.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  19.3 KB

sorry to hear about your mom but glad she's ok
Could've been worse by the look of the car.....

Old 09-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

My 02 X type was destroyed in a rear end collision 3 months ago. My daughter was driving and was hit in the back by a dumb *** in a Chrysler minivan. She got a pretty good whiplash, but the woman in the van was hauled off on a backboard. These are strong little cars.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

George, can you salvage the "X" fo parts? Properly functioning engine, transfer case, and differentail can bring you dough.