Rick shouldn't you be:

OR is it too early in the evening

Take care,

George

Old 02-27-2011, 06:38 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
Glad to hear you got it all sorted!

BTW, is it warm enough down there yet for you to try your A/C??

Oh and did you ever get that scan tool - if so add your name to my list if you want.

Take care,

George
A/C works fine thanks for asking, and I'm going to order the scan tool this week.
Also, I have the windex sounding sqeak coming from the steering column. Do I need to get the power steering additive from jaguar or do you know if I can get some from a local auto parts store?

Old 02-27-2011, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Next time you are Charlotte, run over and see Wayne at Scott Jaguar, $10.00 for the 3 ozs.

You could call Nalley and have them ship it to you as well but you won't get the free shipping unless you purchase $15.00 more worth of stuff.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Next time you are Charlotte, run over and see Wayne at Scott Jaguar, $10.00 for the 3 ozs.

You could call Nalley and have them ship it to you as well but you won't get the free shipping unless you purchase $15.00 more worth of stuff.
Thanks, I was wondering if Ford offered the same product or similar. There is a Ford dealer real close. I'll call and see what they have and check with you before I get it.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by 01stype30
A/C works fine thanks for asking, and I'm going to order the scan tool this week.
Also, I have the windex sounding sqeak coming from the steering column. Do I need to get the power steering additive from jaguar or do you know if I can get some from a local auto parts store?
Ok Great! Glad to see that whole A/C repair worked out!

Take care,

George

Old 02-27-2011, 06:58 PM

Ok, Sunroof problem returned. Here is what it is doing. After the car is turned off and either of the front doors are opened the suroof opens on its own. Also can not close the sunroof by using the key the only way to close the sunroof is by starting the car and pushing the button. It worked for about a day until my wife drove it and now it is messed up again. She is using a different key.

Should I forbid her from driving my car!

The following users liked this post:
PaleRider (02-27-2011)
Old 02-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

lol! Just tell her she's welcome to drive it til she leaves the sunroof open again! You've been more than patient with her thus far, but enough is enough!

Old 02-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, Sunroof problem returned. Here is what it is doing. After the car is turned off and either of the front doors are opened the suroof opens on its own. Also can not close the sunroof by using the key the only way to close the sunroof is by starting the car and pushing the button. It worked for about a day until my wife drove it and now it is messed up again. She is using a different key.

Should I forbid her from driving my car!
Does the car lock/unlock properly with the key / remote?

Does it still do it if you immediately lock the car after you shut it down?

Take care,

George

Old 02-27-2011, 07:44 PM

The global open and shut using the key works except for the sunroof now. The remote has never worked I need to get it programmed just haven't got around to it. Do you all know where the rear electronic control module is located? I want to do some cable checking. If it keeps on happening I think I'm going to pull the fuse. It is #16 20 Amp rear power distribution box.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
lol! Just tell her she's welcome to drive it til she leaves the sunroof open again! You've been more than patient with her thus far, but enough is enough!
She liked your reply!

Old 02-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

The global open and shut using the key works except for the sunroof now. The remote has never worked I need to get it programmed just haven't got around to it. Do you all know where the rear electronic control module is located? I want to do some cable checking. If it keeps on happening I think I'm going to pull the fuse. It is #16 20 Amp rear power distribution box.
Rear electronic control module is in the trunk. Pull out the trunk carpet, then pull out the driver side carpet. It's above the battery, mounted on a metal bracket to the quarter panel. 3 10mm bolts. Pull the bracket out, then you can get to the module.

Does this happen regardless of which key you use to start / lock the car.

Take care,

George

Old 02-27-2011, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

Man I have been reading up about the sunroof in alldata, there is an awful lot of information there but nothing specific to this dilemma. I believe that it may have something to do with the settings of the global open/close programing. To relearn the programing try the following:

Motor Synchronization (76.82.48)

Roof Opening Panel Motor Synchronization Procedure

1. NOTE: If the is battery is disconnected when the roof opening panel is not operating, the roof opening panel will retain its memory and the synchronization procedure will not be required. Operate the roof opening panel switch in the tilt position until the roof opening panel is in the fully tilted position.
  2. Release the roof opening panel switch.
  3. NOTE: This operation must be done within five seconds of the previous step. Operate the roof opening panel switch in the tilt position and hold.
  4. Release the roof opening panel switch after the roof opening panel has reached the fully closed position.
  5. NOTE:
  •  
    • If the roof opening panel motor synchronization has been completed correctly, when the roof opening panel switch is operated in the fully open position the roof opening panel should move to the fully open position automatically.
    • If the roof opening panel does not move to the fully open position, repeat the roof opening panel motor synchronization procedure.
Operate the roof opening panel switch to check the roof opening panel motor operation.

Roof Opening Panel Motor Synchronization De-activation Procedure.

1. Operate the roof opening panel control switch in the tilt position until the roof opening panel is in the fully tilted position and release. Then hold the roof opening panel control switch in the tilt position for at least twenty seconds, there will be a small movement from the roof opening panel to indicate it has been de-activated.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Man I have been reading up about the sunroof in alldata, there is an awful lot of information there but nothing specific to this dilemma. I believe that it may have something to do with the settings of the global open/close programing. To relearn the programing try the following:

Motor Synchronization (76.82.48)

Roof Opening Panel Motor Synchronization Procedure

1. NOTE: If the is battery is disconnected when the roof opening panel is not operating, the roof opening panel will retain its memory and the synchronization procedure will not be required. Operate the roof opening panel switch in the tilt position until the roof opening panel is in the fully tilted position.
  2. Release the roof opening panel switch.
  3. NOTE: This operation must be done within five seconds of the previous step. Operate the roof opening panel switch in the tilt position and hold.
  4. Release the roof opening panel switch after the roof opening panel has reached the fully closed position.
  5. NOTE:
  •  
    • If the roof opening panel motor synchronization has been completed correctly, when the roof opening panel switch is operated in the fully open position the roof opening panel should move to the fully open position automatically.
    • If the roof opening panel does not move to the fully open position, repeat the roof opening panel motor synchronization procedure.
Operate the roof opening panel switch to check the roof opening panel motor operation.

Roof Opening Panel Motor Synchronization De-activation Procedure.

1. Operate the roof opening panel control switch in the tilt position until the roof opening panel is in the fully tilted position and release. Then hold the roof opening panel control switch in the tilt position for at least twenty seconds, there will be a small movement from the roof opening panel to indicate it has been de-activated.
Rick I think this has to do with the motor "relearning" where closed and open are, if someone pulled the battery with the roof open or in motion.

Basically when you connect the battery again, the car assumes the roof is closed and starts there.

I think his issue has to do with the central locking system. The fact that the car will NOT cycle the roof during global / open close points me in that direction.

01 - Will the roof work "one touch" Or do you have to sit there and hold the button?

Your procedure can't hurt though...

Take care,

George

Old 02-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member

You are probably correct George. I am not kidding there is ALOT that goes into making the sunroof work. I never knew it could be this complicated.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:04 PM

Tried the resync procedure and it did not work.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member

Grab your reading glasses and a cocktail or 2, enjoy the read:

Roof Opening Panel

Principles of operation

Roof Opening Panel Control Module
Battery power is continuously supplied to the roof opening panel control module. However, the roof opening panel will only operate from the roof opening panel switch with the ignition switch with the ignition a switch in the RUN or ACC position. The global open and close feature is controlled by two circuits from the REM. The two circuits must be at ground potential before the roof opening panel control module will acknowledge the roof opening panel switch. When the ignition switch is turned to RUN or ACC, the REM provides ground to these circuits.

The roof opening panel control module incorporates soft stops at the end of all travel positions. The roof opening panel control module monitors the internal switches to determine the roof opening glass position and the soft stops. The internal switches are activated by the roof opening panel motor rotation.

The roof opening panel control module supplies the power and ground to the roof opening panel motor depending on the ordered function. Power is supplied to the roof opening panel for a maximum of 12 seconds . Under normal operation, position is monitored by the roof opening panel control module and power is removed from the roof opening panel motor as soon as the roof opening panel reaches the commanded position.

Roof Opening Panel Switch
Four circuits connect the roof opening panel switch to the roof opening panel control module. One circuit is the common return. The other three are control circuits open, close and tilt. The roof opening panel control module monitors these lines for voltage fluctuation to determine which function was selected.

With the ignition switch in the RUN or ACC position, the roof opening panel supplies a five volt reference voltage to three control lines. Activation of the roof opening panel switch connects one or more of these lines to the common return which pulls the line low. The roof opening panel control module will sense the line or lines being connected to the common line and carry out the appropriate function.

The express open function connects the open and tilt circuits to the common return when the roof opening panel switch is moved rearward to the second detent position. The operator-controlled open function connects the open circuit to the common return. The close function connects the close circuit to the common causing the roof opening panel to close from a slide or vent position.

Global Open and Close
Two circuits connect the rear electronics module (REM) to the roof opening panel control module for these functions. Global open and close operation for the roof opening panel is controlled by one of these two circuits being grounded by the REM.

When the ignition switch is in the RUN or ACC position, the REM grounds both of these circuits allowing normal operation of the roof opening panel from the roof opening panel switch. Global open and close operation is only available with the ignition in the OFF position and the ignition key removed.

When global open or close operation is selected, the roof opening panel switch is not recognized by the roof opening panel control module throughout the operation and five seconds after the operation is completed.

With the ignition switch in the OFF position, the roof opening panel control module supplies a constant voltage to these two circuits. The roof opening panel control module monitors these lines for a low state, caused by the REM grounding the line, to determine the ordered global function by the REM.

Global open is commanded by the REM grounding control line two. Line one will remain at previous voltage.

Global close is commanded by the REM grounding control line one. Line two will remain at previous voltage.

If both lines have voltage, the roof opening panel will be inoperative.

Inspection and Verification
  1. Verify the customer concern by operating the system.
  2. Visually inspect for obvious signs of mechanical and electrical damage. Visual Inspection Chart
MechanicalElectrical</B> Roof opening panel frame-Fuse(s)Roof opening panel glass weatherstrip-Roof opening panel switchRoof opening panel alignment-Roof opening panel motorMotor synchronization-Wiring harness
  • Electrical connector(s)
  1. If an obvious cause for an observed or reported concern is found, correct the cause (if possible) before proceeding to the next step.
  2. If the concern is not visually evident, verify the Symptom Chart.
Symptom Chart

Condition(s):
The roof opening panel has excessive wind noise

Possible Source(s):
  • Incorrect alignment.
  • Roof opening panel weatherstrip. Action(s) to take:
  • GO to Pinpoint Test A.
The roof opening panel leaks

Possible Source(s):
  • Incorrect alignment.
  • Roof opening panel drain hoses.
  • Roof opening panel weatherstrip. Action(s) to take:
  • GO to Pinpoint Test B.
The roof opening panel is noisy during operation

Possible Source(s):
  • Roof opening panel glass.
  • Roof opening panel frame.
  • Roof opening panel motor. Action(s) to take:
  • GO to Pinpoint Test C.
The roof opening panel does not open or close

Possible Source(s):
  • Roof opening panel frame.
  • Roof opening panel motor.
  • Rear electronics module (REM).
  • Roof opening panel switch.
  • Wiring harness. Action(s) to take:
  • GO to the Jaguar approved diagnostic system.
The roof opening panel does not open or close in vent position

Possible Source(s):
  • Roof opening panel control module.
  • Wiring harness. Action(s) to take:
The roof opening panel does not stop flush from any position.

Possible Source(s):
  • Roof opening panel alignment.
  • Roof opening weatherstrip.
  • Roof opening panel control module. Action(s) to take:
  • GO to Pinpoint Test D.
The 'one touch' open is inoperative

Possible Source(s):
  • Roof opening panel control module.
  • Motor synchronization. Action(s) to take:
Pinpoint Tests

A : THE ROOF OPENING PANEL HAS EXCESSIVE WIND NOISE

A1 : CHECK THE ROOF OPENING PANEL GLASS FIT
  1. Cycle the roof opening glass from the fully open to the fully closed position.
  2. Inspect the roof opening panel weatherstrip for proper fit or damage.
-Is the roof opening panel weatherstrip OK?
-> Yes</B>
Goto A2-> No</B> INSTALL a new roof opening panel weatherstrip. Test the system for normal operation.

A2 : CHECK THE ROOF OPENING PANEL GLASS OPERATION
  1. Cycle the roof opening panel glass from the fully open to the fully closed position.
-Does the roof opening panel glass travel to the fully open and the fully closed position?</B> -> Yes</B> ADJUST the roof opening panel glass. Test the system for normal operation.

-> No</B> CHECK the roof opening panel weatherstrip. If necessary, INSTALL a new roof opening panel weatherstrip. TEST the system for normal operation.

B : THE ROOF OPENING PANEL LEAKS

B1 : CHECK THE ROOF OPENING PANEL OPERATION
  1. Cycle the roof opening panel glass from the fully open position to the fully closed position.
-Does the roof opening panel glass operate smoothly and close tightly?</B> -> Yes</B>
Goto B2-> No</B> CHECK the roof opening panel alignment. Test the system for normal operation.

B2 : CHECK THE ROOF OPENING PANEL FRAME DRAIN TUBES
  1. Gain access to the roof opening panel frame drain tubes.
-Is there blockage or damage to the roof opening panel frame drain tubes?</B> -> Yes</B> Clear the blockage or if necessary, INSTALL a new drain tube. TEST the system for normal operation.

-> No</B> Goto B3</B> B3 : CHECK THE ROOF OPENING PANEL WEATHERSTRIP
  1. Actuate the roof opening panel glass to the fully open position.
Is the roof opening panel weatherstrip damaged?</B> -> Yes</B> INSTALL a new roof opening panel weatherstrip. TEST the system for normal operation.

-> No</B> REPAIR as necessary. TEST the system for normal operation.

C : THE ROOF OPENING PANEL IS NOISY DURING OPERATION

C1 : CHECK THE OPERATION OF THE ROOF OPENING PANEL GLASS
  1. Cycle the roof opening glass from the fully open to the fully closed position. Is the roof opening panel glass loose?
-> Yes</B> ADJUST the roof opening glass. TEST the system for normal operation.

-> No</B> Goto C2</B> C2 : CHECK FOR OBSTRUCTIONS
  1. Check the roof opening panel frame for foreign material, damage or looseness. Is the roof opening panel obstructed or damaged?
-> Yes</B> REMOVE the obstruction. If necessary, INSTALL a new roof opening panel track and rail assembly. TEST the system for normal operation.

-> No</B> Goto C3</B> C3 : CHECK THE ROOF OPENING PANEL MOTOR
  1. Cycle the roof opening panel glass from the fully open to the fully closed position.
Does the roof opening panel motor make excessive noise?</B> -> Yes</B> CHECK the roof opening panel motor for correct mounting. If necessary, INSTALL a new roof opening panel motor. TEST the system for normal operation.

-> No</B> ADJUST the roof opening panel glass as necessary. TEST the system for normal operation.

D : THE ROOF OPENING PANEL DOES NOT STOP FLUSH FROM ANY POSITION

D1 : CHECK THE ROOF OPENING PANEL ALIGNMENT
  1. Check the roof opening panel alignment.
Is the roof opening glass adjusted correctly?</B> -> Yes</B>
Goto D2-> No</B> ADJUST the roof opening glass as necessary. TEST the system for normal operation.

D2 : CHECK THE ROOF OPENING PANEL WEATHERSTRIP
  1. Inspect the roof opening panel weatherstrip for looseness, damage and correct installation.
Is the roof opening panel weatherstrip OK and installed correctly?</B> -> Yes</B>
Goto D3-> No</B> REPAIR or INSTALL a new roof opening panel weatherstrip as necessary. TEST the system for normal operation.

D3 : CHECK FOR OBSTRUCTION IN THE ROOF OPENING PANEL
  1. Inspect the roof opening panel assembly for obstructions in the frame.
Are any obstructions found?</B> -> Yes</B> REMOVE the obstruction. If necessary, INSTALL a new roof opening panel frame. TEST the system for normal operation.

-> No</B> INSTALL a new roof opening panel control module. TEST the system for normal operation.

</B>

Old 02-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

Some more info.

The only integration between the rear electronics module and the sunroof control module, is two wires, both at ca103 (the black 26 pin connector). Pins 14 and 15.

Pin 14 is global close, Pin 15 is global open.

Both should show +12v idle, and switch to ground when active.

Take care,

George

Old 02-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member

Rick / 01 S

After reading your bible, and my cliff's notes from the wiring diagram, it seems like the only thing that could possibly cause the roof to open on it's own after the ignition has been turned off is that global open circuit tied to ground. Either that or bad sunroof control module, but it SURE seems odd that it just opens. But the roof works fine otherwise, and that it doesn't respond to the global open / close commands as it should.

If global open / close of the windows works with the key. Btw 01S can you get the windows to come down half way and stop with the key using global open?

Take care,

George

Old 02-27-2011, 08:23 PM

Pulled fuse for right now will get back to problem later. Sunroof works fine using the switch pack. In the electrical drawing there looks like there are limit switches that stop the motor when it reaches position I'm not sure. It worked fine for a day after replacing the battery.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member

Pulled fuse for right now will get back to problem later. Sunroof works fine using the switch pack. In the electrical drawing there looks like there are limit switches that stop the motor when it reaches position I'm not sure. It worked fine for a day after replacing the battery.
No limit switches. - Current sensing. Basically when the roof closes the current goes up in the motor, and it knows its closed.

That's what the whole learn procedure is for. To "teach" the module, how long to operate the switches.

Take care,

George

Quick Reply: Mysterious Sunroof