S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mysterious Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 08:35 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes I can stop the windows half way using the key in global.

After reading rick's reply I think CA 103 pin 15 from the rear control module is going to ground causing the sunroof to open when the key is not in the on position or ACC. When the key is on or ACC the global command is ignored is that correct.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by 01stype30
Yes I can stop the windows half way using the key in global.

After reading rick's reply I think CA 103 pin 15 from the rear control module is going to ground causing the sunroof to open when the key is not in the on position or ACC. When the key is on or ACC the global command is ignored is that correct.
Not exactly.

Global Open and Close
Two circuits connect the rear electronics module (REM) to the roof opening panel control module for these functions. Global open and close operation for the roof opening panel is controlled by one of these two circuits being grounded by the REM.

When the ignition switch is in the RUN or ACC position, the REM grounds both of these circuits allowing normal operation of the roof opening panel from the roof opening panel switch. Global open and close operation is only available with the ignition in the OFF position and the ignition key removed.

When global open or close operation is selected, the roof opening panel switch is not recognized by the roof opening panel control module throughout the operation and five seconds after the operation is completed.

With the ignition switch in the OFF position, the roof opening panel control module supplies a constant voltage to these two circuits. The roof opening panel control module monitors these lines for a low state, caused by the REM grounding the line, to determine the ordered global function by the REM.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Now in English:

Basically what happens is when the key is on/acc both global lines ground. This enables the switch AND normal operation.

With the key off, BOTH global lines should go to +12v

Now, if pin 15, (global open), STAYS at ground, Instead of going high to +12v, the sunroof control module will think it's a global open command. Pin 15 grounded / shorted to ground will not affect regular operation, as it needs to be grounded for the roof switch to work.

Hope this helps,

George

Old 02-27-2011, 09:01 PM

Can I disable the global open and close for the sunroof? If possible i would just like to use the switch pack.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

George, you and Rick are amazing. Wiring dia. make my brain hurt and my eyes cross.

I woulda long-since said, "Sorry honey....it's not for you..."

and taken my pillow and blanky and headed for the 'til she got over it....

Old 02-28-2011, 05:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

I believe in the owners manual there is a way to disable the sunroof from the gobal opening option. It was a awhile ago that I read the manual so I am not sure. Check under "global opening".

Zane, there have been more than a few times that I have been sitting on Jaguarforums and the wifey gets a wee bit annoyed with me. There are times when she is ready to tell me to hit the couch! But I don't

Old 02-28-2011, 07:23 AM

This is what I think is happening but I'm not sure.

When I bought the car in November the first thing I had done was the headliner it was sagging bad in the back and the other owner had it attached with staples. That just wouldn't do. I'm thinking maybe when the headliner was getting fixed that one of the wires may have gotten nicked at that time causing this problem (I'm not sure).

I'll need to make some checks with a meter on the next rainy day or when the honey do list is caught up.

But if anyone knows how to disable the global please chime in. I'm going to check the handbook like Rick suggested to see if I can find the global disable procedure.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

If you were to pull the overhead console facia off (I have read that its a PIA), there you will find the motor, sensors and lots of wiring for the roof. Again this is a complicated system, I am not saying a DIYer cannot fix but sheesh.......

Maybe for the hell of it one night, I might just find out how BIG of a PIA it is to remove overhead facia. Some say changing the oh.... oil pan gasket is a PIA, I didn't find it so (2 times over)!!

Old 02-28-2011, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
If you were to pull the overhead console facia off (I have read that its a PIA), there you will find the motor, sensors and lots of wiring for the roof. Again this is a complicated system, I am not saying a DIYer cannot fix but sheesh.......

Maybe for the hell of it one night, I might just find out how BIG of a PIA it is to remove overhead facia. Some say changing the oh.... oil pan gasket is a PIA, I didn't find it so (2 times over)!!
Rick the facia is 10 mins TOPS! But that's not where his problem is. I guarantee that the global close wire is shorted to ground, OR the transistor that pulls it high in the Rear electronics module has failed.

As far as the overhead console Have a read here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...php?t=49499%22

Oh and 01. Yes you can disable global close (for the sunroof), but you need to add some wiring and a relay to the trunk.

Basically you need a relay that will pull the two global close wires to ground when the ignition is on, and disconnect them when it's off. I can draw you up a quick wiring diagram if you need.

Take care,

George

Old 02-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member

WOW nice write up George on the homelink! I must have been drinking when you posted that and missed it!

On 01's sunroof, I would think that it would happen with him (Mike?) AND his wife, not just the little woman.

But I don't know anything........

Old 02-28-2011, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

Wait... This only happens when the wife uses HER key??

I thought he said earlier it happens regardless (after dismissing the notion that his wife is nuts since it happened to him).

We need to hear back from 01 to let us know whether or not its universal or just the wife's key that does it.

Take care,

George

Old 02-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by androulakis
Rick the facia is 10 mins TOPS!
LOL, George!

"Hmmm.....IMT o-ring change or pull the overhead console...what shall I do during halftime of tonight's game....?

(don't forget to wash hands thoroughly between 10 min jobs...so as not to soil headliner)

I need to re-read, I thought after battery change it was fine 'til the missus drove it (with her key) then it restarted the aberrant behavior irrespective of key.....

Old 02-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aholbro1
LOL, George!

"Hmmm.....IMT o-ring change or pull the overhead console...what shall I do during halftime of tonight's game....?

(don't forget to wash hands thoroughly between 10 min jobs...so as not to soil headliner)

I need to re-read, I thought after battery change it was fine 'til the missus drove it (with her key) then it restarted the aberrant behavior irrespective of key.....
I DID say that once the cowl ETC was out of the car that the IMT rings were 10 mins! The overhead console seriously is 10 mins... ONE screw, then two clips and slide it forwards!

Rick keeps telling me that he's got removing the 3.0 intake manifold down to such a science that he can have it on and off in 20 mins I'm not that bold (YET!)

Take care,

George

Old 02-28-2011, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Ok, Sunroof problem returned. Here is what it is doing. After the car is turned off and either of the front doors are opened the suroof opens on its own. Also can not close the sunroof by using the key the only way to close the sunroof is by starting the car and pushing the button. It worked for about a day until my wife drove it and now it is messed up again. She is using a different key.

Should I forbid her from driving my car!

Wait a minute! Battery change "fixed" it momentarily. Problem is alleged to be a wire from a module mounted in the boot that is shorting to ground?
Now it is back. Postulate: Battery change jostled the suspect wire enough to prevent its ground path, but erratic spousal driving (no offense meant, just projecting from my own personal experience of lurches and lunges executed to no apparent purpose) returned it to its former place where it is in contact with ground? Just thinking out loud over lunch...but maybe your short is close by in the boot somewhere since the battery change made it better for a spell.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Wait a minute! Battery change "fixed" it momentarily. Problem is alleged to be a wire from a module mounted in the boot that is shorting to ground?
Now it is back. Postulate: Battery change jostled the suspect wire enough to prevent its ground path, but erratic spousal driving (no offense meant, just projecting from my own personal experience of lurches and lunges executed to no apparent purpose) returned it to its former place where it is in contact with ground? Just thinking out loud over lunch...but maybe your short is close by in the boot somewhere since the battery change made it better for a spell.
The module that this wiring plugs into DOES happen to be directly above the battery... Food for thought...

Take care,

George

Old 02-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by androulakis
I DID say that once the cowl ETC was out of the car that the IMT rings were 10 mins! The overhead console seriously is 10 mins... ONE screw, then two clips and slide it forwards!

Rick keeps telling me that he's got removing the 3.0 intake manifold down to such a science that he can have it on and off in 20 mins I'm not that bold (YET!)

Take care,

George
I know.....Just teasing you.

True confessions: (No offense to either Joel nor Rick) but I was secretly content when they failed to complete 3 wks' worth of work in a single weekend afternoon....even so it may've been due to lack of parts....Rick is on another plane! I certainly didn't wish 'em any ill...but when I saw what all was planned.....I thought, "Dayum!!!.....if they do all that in a day, it will seriously be time to reassess my decision-making paradigms.." to paraphrase a movie line...

Old 02-28-2011, 12:05 PM

I will check the boot rear module area above battery. It happens with both keys. It just seems that the problem always starts with my wife driving it (she causes too many problems!). Then for what ever reason it happens to me. But both keys cause the same reaction now.

Also some times the sunroof opens after the key is removed from the ignition and some times after the door opens with the key removed (either front door).

She's got me painting the house right now so I have limited time to work on it. But if I can't find the problem when I work on it I'll probably go with the relay option that George mentioned.

I really don't care for the global window deal. I wonder if anyone uses it. I would use it to shut every thing when I got out of the car if I forgot to while I was in the car. But I would not open everything when I was leaving the car!

Old 02-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

I will check the boot rear module area above battery. It happens with both keys. It just seems that the problem always starts with my wife driving it (she causes too many problems!). Then for what ever reason it happens to me. But both keys cause the same reaction now.

Also some times the sunroof opens after the key is removed from the ignition and some times after the door opens with the key removed (either front door).

She's got me painting the house right now so I have limited time to work on it. But if I can't find the problem when I work on it I'll probably go with the relay option that George mentioned.

I really don't care for the global window deal. I wonder if anyone uses it. I would use it to shut every thing when I got out of the car if I forgot to while I was in the car. But I would not open everything when I was leaving the car!
Trade the wife in on a new car.. Problem solved Hahaha Just kidding...

I have an extra sunroof control / panel switch if you need it.
What I would do is backprobe that global close pin, set the meter to continuty for ground. The pin will show ground when the car is running, it should break continuity when the car is shut off and the key removed.

As far as global funcitons. I have never used global opening... I have an extra channel on my aftermarket alarm set, so I can either do lock, or lock and hold for 30 seconds (alarm feature), which is one click lock / global close. I love that feature, and it still surprises people when I get out of the car and the windows / roof are open, and I walk away after locking it and 3 seconds later everything closes up on it's own.

Ahol:
As far as Joel / Rick. I watched half that repair on the internet. If Joel had gotten there earlier in the day (car showed up past 5pm), the car didn't need more parts / work, AND Rick focused more on working and less on talking with me, he would have had it done in a day, much less a weekend.

Yeah, he is that good....

Take care,

George

Old 02-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Not to high jack but, Thank you George! Oil pan, Valve cover gaskets, ups and low Intake gaskets, Plugs, Coils, Vacuum Lines, IMT O rings, Serpentine belt, MAF cleaned, Cabin filter, Air filter, ZF box drained resleeved ATF added (to correct level I may add), 4 Rotors plus pads and...clean up engine bay when finished, 20 hours of wrench time! I did have to chase a couple parts too.

After all that I had a birthday party to throw for my 6 year old and 14 of her closest friends at noon on Sunday the first weekend!

BTW intake off in 10 miutes now-a-days!!!

Sorry 01, had to correct ahols (snicker snicker) 2 weekend worth of work!

Last edited by joycesjag; 02-28-2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: added bonus!
Old 02-28-2011, 12:43 PM

Looking around the trunk I believe I found the rear module. I think mine is on the driverside next to the spare tire. On the cable going to the module 1 cable many wires I seen a 2 wire plug coming from the bundle I havent found what it plugs into yet. Maybe thats where the problem lies.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

REM should be where George indicated, above the battery.

Quick Reply: Mysterious Sunroof