S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

N, S, E or W? My new '02 S-type is from an alternate universe!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default N, S, E or W? My new '02 S-type is from an alternate universe!

So if you have been reading the threads you know I have a new-2-me '02 S-type. It started having problems the next day after I drove it home 200 miles from the seller.

See here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_90193/tm.htm

I took it to the shop this morning to have it looked at. My normal mechanic said he could not work on it.

ALTERNATE UNIVERSE: When I drove it home tonight, I noticed the compass on the mirror was reading W when I was actually going East. And it was reading S when I was actually going North. When I was going NE, it read SW.

I am pretty certain this in NOT normal. I also do not think it has been in Australia. I am also pretty certain it was working up until this afternoon.

Could all three of these problems (P0795, P0715 and this backward compass) all have the same origin?

So far, I am not liking my "Jag experience" too much... Please help me enjoy it more! Thx. Greg

Old 01-23-2009, 04:46 AM
lev
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: N, S, E or W? My new '02 S-type is from an alternate universe!

I am pretty sure digital compasses need to be set up occasionally. I don't know how it is done on ones in Jags, but setting up procedure for compass I had in a car a while ago involved driving around in circles for some time

Old 01-23-2009, 05:18 AM
Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts

A couple things. I don't like the trans codes you have, doesn't sound good. The 795 c solenoid code is no big deal, the solenoids are available seperately and fairly easy to change. The 715 code however indicates a difference between input turbine speed and turbine output speed and that usually indicates slippage. The trans in that car is a standard Ford 5 speed, it's extremely common and any trans shop worth a crap should be able to diagnose the real problem in no time, I would try a different specialty trans shop. The car uses an integrated ECM/TCM known as a PCM and any generic scan tool will be able to pull trans codes.

The compass can be calibrated and the correct zone needs to be set. It's been a while since I've done one but i will try to update this post later today from work when I can get to my notes.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:46 AM

Thanks guys. Real_Tech, I really appreicate you taking the time to look up the compass reprogramming sets.

I am wondering. The compass was working and quit. I have read on here that if the battery is starting to go bad some engine codes can also lose power and start throwing codes. COuld all of these be induced by poor quality battery power?

The battery looks new on the outside, but hiding away in the trunk like that helps it stay looking new. It is a Jag battery. But they did not mark the punches to indicate install date. If you think battery might be a possible cause, I'll pull it first and have it checked out.

I saw one webpage that said theP0795 code might be corrected by simply changing a $5 spring.

Could slippage simply be low fluid? Any other causes? I guess I'll start callingtranniCos today.

Thanks for any info you can give me. Greg

Old 01-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,403 Likes on 2,875 Posts

Before you pull your battery, cell the batterycells to ensure that they are all filled with the proper level of distilled water. When we purchased our S-Type five weeks ago, it had supposedly been through the 140-point Select Edition inspection at the Jag dealership. But upon closer inspection I found that all six cells in our OEM Jaguar battery were very low. I added distilled water immediately and we've had no battery or electrical problems at all, including during some recent 10-degree weather in our neck of the woods.

I think these Select Edition inspections are more about marketinghype than anything else. They missed the battery cell levels being far too low, the fact that a piece of seat rail trim was missing in the right rear seat, and even the fact that the windshield wiper fluid container was sitting on empty. The wiper fluid leveltakes about three seconds tocheck - inexcuseable....

So check those battery cell levels, fill them up, and see if that makes any difference in the electricals....

Let us know....

Old 01-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts

Of course low fluid level can cause these codes, the improtant part is to get it checked before more serious damage results. The solenoid code could be a spring, solenoid or a chafed wire etc. the turbine speed code could also be a chafed wire or it could mean mechanical failure. You also get the turbine code due to the solenoid code if the the trans flares before it goes into limp mode because of the solenoid. I guess my point is it should be looked at locally and professionally, internet diagnosis of a particular trans problem is questionable at best.

...on the other hand the compass is easy. Look at the mirror mounting at the windshield and you will see 2 small holes. Put a paperclip in the right hand hole to set the zone. Depress the button in that hole and hold down until the readout on the mirror says "zone" and then each repeated press of the button will change the zone number. Central Texas is zone 6. After setting the zone press the button in the left hand hole until "cal" displays. Drive in slow circles until the cal disappears, usually takes 3 or 4 circles. If this doesn't correct the compass it is probably broken. I haven't seen a battery problem cause compass problems or those particular trans codes.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:46 AM

The backward compas was an easy fix. When I went to reprogram it, I noticed it was really loose. I stuck the paperclip in and the holes were backward. The one that should signal "calibration" set "REGION". the one that should set region set "calibration". So I gently popped of the small "black box" turned it around and popped it back on. It went on much more securely in the correct orientation.

AND now it is displaying the right direction of travel! Thanks for your help on this one. I hope the tranni fix ix as painless. It is going in today. Greg

Old 08-22-2012, 08:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What zone is TN in?