S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation system problem/question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Navigation system problem/question

I just bought a used 2005 S type with navigation system.

The navigation system works in that it that maps work, it knows where you are and it tracks your locaiton but when you enter a destination to go to, it says "Voice Guidance Not Available in This Area"

Has anyone seen this before?

Any ideas on how to fix it?

Old 02-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It happens...particularly at the start or end of a trip. All it's saying is that the details aren't programmed. It could be that you have an older version of the database.

A newer version might have more details. Look for "Jaguar Part No:" on your DVD. It will be "1X43 10E898 XX" where the last "XX" will be replaced by two letters. These are the version of the navigation disc. Chances are with a 2005 S type, your version is either BC or BD.

The current version is BH.

Eric

Old 02-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Default follow up

Eric:

Thanks for the info. Quick clarification:

So are you saying this is a bug with the older version of the DVD or are you saying that this is occuring because I have an older version of the DVD (i.e. the DVD ceases to work because the DVD is out of date)? The latter doesn't seem to make sense because everything else seems to function.

Is there a work around to get around the bug (without replacing the DVD)?

I'm fine with not having voice directions, but as it is, it won't let me select a destination at all.

Thanks.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:29 AM

I was saying that perhaps the older version of the software might not have the data the later versions have, the data you need.

However, the inability to select a destination at all is another matter. I don't know which functions are software (on the disc) and which are firmware (burned in the memory of the device). It is very possible that you'll have to visit a dealer.

Where did you get your car...a dealer? Still under warranty?

I have a sense that this may be your unfamiliarity with the unit and the user interface. I took the book out and sat in the car for about 2 hours one day and played.

Eric

Old 02-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you saying the nav screen wont let you input an address as a destination. What if you try to change the map area, does the screen come up with the U.S. map and can you pick an area for searches from that map? If you are on the wrong area and try to search an address or input an address that isn't in the map area selected it will do this. Also check the disc itself for scratches, dirt etc. dirty disc will cause all sorts of strange operation. check the above and repost please.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:36 PM

Good point. While I have the book on the screen....

Navigation Menu | Navigation Set-up take you the Destination Entry. On the right side of the page is a map of the US with a region highlighted. If it's not the right region of the country, touch the "Change" button and select the appropriate region from the displayed list.

I'll bet that's it.

Eric

Old 02-09-2009, 01:36 PM

Real_Tech:

I'm definitely in the correct map area. All maps function properly but it won't calculate a route. It's not that it won't let me selected an address. After I input an address, when you hit "Destination", that's when it fails to calculate the route and gives the error message ("Voice Guidance Not Available in This Area"). I will check the disc for dirt etc. Thanks for the suggestion.

Eric:
I don't think it is a question of me not understand in the interface but I will re-read the instructions and keep trying.

Also, I have read of the same error occuring in nav systems in Saabs and Cadillacs. People seem to have fixed it by disconnecting the battery. Is there some other way to reset the nav system or is "cold booting" it by disconnecting the battery a good idea?

Old 02-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts

2 more questions please. Exactly what map area are you in? I've never seen the message "voice guidance not available in this area" and I would like to try it on another car with the same area highlighted. What software level is your module using? The easiest way to tell if it's old or new is to check the initial leaper screen. If you have a green background and a 3d leaper it is the old software, if you have the black background and a white line drawing leaper it is the newer software.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:08 PM

I'm in the map area for Virginia/Maryland/District of Columbia (US obviously)

Green background with 3D leaper

Also, I tried to remove the DVD to check for dirt/smudges. The DVD clicks/whirs like it is going to eject, but the DVD does not eject. That can't be good. Ever seen that? Suggestions?

Last edited by dwhitall; 02-10-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Default Power cycle?

Is there a way to "power cycle" the DVD player?

Maybe a cold start would fix this problem...

Old 02-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Default ?

Anyone been able to re-produce this?

Any ideas? I'm stuck....

Old 04-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Default Solution

So I found a fix this problem, in case anyone else encounters it.

If you clear all of the waypoints, this error goes away.

I have no idea why this would be the case. But it works.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dwhitall
So I found a fix this problem, in case anyone else encounters it.

If you clear all of the waypoints, this error goes away.

I have no idea why this would be the case. But it works.
I have encountered exactly the same problem with the sat nav on my 2005 S-Type. It just started producing this error message a couple of months ago. I'll have a go a clearing the way points to see if this fixes the problem.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by PeterM
I have encountered exactly the same problem with the sat nav on my 2005 S-Type. It just started producing this error message a couple of months ago. I'll have a go a clearing the way points to see if this fixes the problem.
Clearing the way points did indeed fix this problem. Thanks for solving this for me!

Old 09-03-2017, 05:43 PM
Default I have a 2000 jag s type 4.0 navigation won't allow me to input address.. please help

Originally Posted by Real_Tech
Are you saying the nav screen wont let you input an address as a destination. What if you try to change the map area, does the screen come up with the U.S. map and can you pick an area for searches from that map? If you are on the wrong area and try to search an address or input an address that isn't in the map area selected it will do this. Also check the disc itself for scratches, dirt etc. dirty disc will cause all sorts of strange operation. check the above and repost please.
I have a 2000