S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice!

I took our 02 4.0 into Jag dealer today to hook up to computer. It had a miss in it when idling or slow speeds. Erratic miss. Also airbag light was on. Showed a code for airbag but no codes for miss. They started checking around and I've got 3 problems.

1. Replace Coils. Solved by searching other threads and got link to buy at muchmuch less than dealer cost. I assume I should go ahead and replace spark plugs as well. They said all the coils had oil on them and need to be replaced.

2. Replace Cam Cover Gasket. How much trouble is it to change the gasket? Is there any special tools required? Anything else that should be done/replaced while in there? Where to buy gasket?

3. Connector under driver's seat for airbag. They wanted $210 to fix a plastic electrical plug with only two wires in it. The wires had pulled out of the back of the connector. Where can I find another connector to replace it, if not I will just cut the other end and install a new type connector. Will the airbag still work if this is not connected and airbag light is on? Can I reset the light after fixing the wires without taking it back to dealer?

Total estimate from dealership was $1900 USD. I was happy with the $105 diagnostic charge. From my experience these forums have way more information than I can get from a dealer.

Thanks

Old 06-26-2008, 08:31 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Need advice!

Wow, just wow. Ok first you need to replace the offending coil. Not just all of them. If the coil is dead it will show on the codes. I tend to think replacing all of them is a bit of a soak. Find the coil, replace it.

Gasket? Easy to replace. Not cheap but easy. These are easy to replace but some of the bolts in the back are fussy.

Connector under the seat? Well that is plain old elbow grease, if you want to get under there and pull it free and fix it yourself then have at 'er.

If you have zero tools and or mechanical inclination then push back on the coils and get the price down a bit. Coils can be oily and work just fine. Remember, you have taken your car to a place where remove and replace is the motto not not "fix". Maintain your car like an aircraft or maintain it like a car. One is cheaper and requires you to get your hands dirty.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Gonna take a stab that the connector you are working under the seat is coming from a 'scale' type module that, in all respects, weighs your passenger and if it is under 50lbs(if memory serves correctly) the light stays on and the pass airbag is disabled. When the passenger gets up, or heavier one sits down, light goes out and airbag is active again. Really a cool feature, but the harnesses have problems and that scale-thingee sometimes loses its mind (thinks a 120lb female is actually under 50lbs) and has to be replaced. Fixing this connector yourself will not require you to have the airbag light reset.It will go out on its own when repaired.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:22 PM

I have some mechanical intuition, but get a little nervous when it comes to the engine area. I'm gonna fix the conection myself and save the $200. As for the gasket I have to actually figure out where it is tobegin with. I have a friend who is a good mechanic, but not real up on the late model stuff. Is replacing the gasket just taking everything apart to get to it and replacing. Or is there anything that has to be caliberated, etc?

Is this the normal gasket that ends up leaking causing the problem? Also, one more question, where can I get the gasket at, can't seem to find it online anywhere?

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:23 PM

Man, replacing a gasket is dead easy. Don't drop thebolts and studs and have a good set of tools with a knuckle. Your buddy and you could do it in an hour.

And yes, I've had the airbag light come on. I moved the seat and it went away. Wife gets in and moves the seat, light still out. Happy.

Back to the miss though. If one coil really is dead it should throw a code.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:33 PM

Yeah, thats what I thought too. According to the print out they gave me it didn't show any codes and they started looking. The service guy said they checked all of the coils and they all needed replacing. I don't know if they really did or not, didn't look like much had been handled in there.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I would start with cleaning the coils and changing the gaskets. If that doesn't correct the coil problem, no big deal. They are right there on top and you can do them easily at a later time.

V/C gasket kit:
http://www.motorcarsltd.com/item.wws...p;sku=IN106762

If the boots on the coils are deteriorating due to the oil I have a boot kit. Replace just the boots:
http://www.motorcarsltd.com/item.wws...p;sku=IN107191

If worse comes to worse and you need a coil or coils:
http://www.motorcarsltd.com/item.wws...p;sku=IN106272

Old 06-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts

Ok first things first.....

1. Most important... the airbag system runs off of resistance. Be careful when replacing anything because when you do so and the resistance is wrong, will either keep the light on, or worst case will detonate the airbag. Before doing anything, make sure you disconnect battery and wait at least 15 minutes. Do not short out the harness while repairing.

2. The gaskets and coils.....the coil boots likely have oil on them due to the cam cover gaskets failing. Clean off the oil while doing the gaskets and you will be fine. You should get both cam cover gaskets, 8 plug boss seals and the 2 vvt solenoid seals.
The coils will normally break down when hot. So when dealer had it, may not have had codes, however, if they use GDS510, they can see non continuous monitoring and determine which coils had failed. If they are failing, wont be long before the others do too. That is why at the dealer we would rather replace all of them. Imagine if you had 1 or 2 coils replaced, then 1 week later car starts missing again. You would complain that the job wasnt done correctly right?

Anyway....goodluck,

Old 06-26-2008, 11:21 PM

Good point!

Old 06-27-2008, 10:33 AM

Got a price from a local shop to replace gaskets and coils, labor $350 and I would provide parts. This still sounds steep to me.

I'm gonna go ahead and do the gaskets and pull the passenger side off first, since it seems easiest to get to. If that side is to much then I'll take it in somewhere for the other side.

Thanks for all the info. Without these forums usDIY people would be out of business. I was changing the fuel pump to start with and would have never found it without the forum.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:48 AM

I'm never one to put another out of work, but the art of servicing a vehicle by yourself is being lost. As we get farther away from our Fathers, our Grandfathers and Great Grandfathers (etc) who served in the war or who worked on farms the DIY attitude and skill is eroded.

As I got older the idea of being a chequebook mechanic became more attractive. I like reading the paper while my oil gets changed. I however know how to save a buck.

Think of it this way, if you "KNOW" you can do the job think that if the labour rate at your shop is $150 an hour, you are getting PAID $150 an hour to work on your own car.

DIY is great as long as you take a somewhat humourous Hippocratic approach: "Do no harm". Make sure that when you get our the wrenches that when they get put away the car is better off.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I just want to second what JFT said. The dealer isn't ripping you off or anything of the sort. They are giving you a price to fix the car so that you don't have to come back. It's why the DIY'ers save money, but it can take them longer. They don't have a customer to make happy. (A wife or child maybe, but not a paying customer. And, no, I'm not even gonna start with comparisons!) You can save yourself some money and it's fun. If you are doing it just to save money, it's probably not worth it.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:54 PM

Agreed. Replacing all parts ensures that the problem is fixed. But, just make sure that the coils actually NEED replacing and are just not a replace stuff until it's fixed scenario. Good dealers will fix your car.

Remember service is still sales.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:56 AM

Well the gasket kit is on its way, butI think I might need to order the coils as well.Yesterday my wife was driving the car and the engine light came on. I'm assuming it is one or more of the coils causing it. It was runninga lot rougher, especially when the AC is on. They rolled the windows down and limped on back home.I am gonna park it until the gaskets come in, I don't want to do any more damage than is done.