S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice and help thx

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014 | 07:09 AM
|
Default Need advice and help thx

Ok well I`m new here my name is Theo just wanted to say hello and also get some advice.

I recently bought a 2000 jag that was not running the seller said he "thinks" it only needed timing chains and the tensioners replaced. Also that he had all the parts to do this work they are OEM parts.

So I was think wow I love the car the list of what he had done to the car was very extensive and had all the proof to back it. Below is this list of what was done to the car and this list is legit.

So I bought the car only later to find out when he paid a guy to check out the engine the whole thing needs to now be replaced .

So instead of thinking well the labor I`ll just cover and I already have the parts $1200-1500 now has turned into a $3700 job this is with the engine delivered and installation done etc...

I ended up telling him to keep the parts and re-sell them and pocket the $$$$ for storage fees in keeping the car in the garage. Etc... seeing the car is also in a different state. I feel that was the only right thing to do.

He has 3 other cars and they are all VERY nice so I know this guy is a good person and seems to not be crooked at all.

I would like to know if I got a good deal and its worth the investment on getting a rebuilt engine with a 1yr warranty put into the car or I'm just wasting my time. I also have included pics of my car.

The total Cost I paid for this car $1800.00 so far. With the engine installed the total cost will be $ $5500.00

Transmission replaced $4739

Thermostat and housing $300

Timing Parts $2800

Paint job $3100

Chrome Grilles $300

Shocks and lowering spring $800

Chrome Headlight Bezels $80

New Leaper $130

New Headliner $475

Tinted windows $130

Rims $1200

HID Headlights and fog lights $200

Old 06-16-2014 | 09:10 AM

Theo, hate to say this - but waste of time. Part the car out and hopefully you can make your $ back...

Old 06-16-2014 | 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Theostephens
I recently bought a 2000 jag that was not running the seller said he "thinks" it only needed timing chains and the tensioners replaced. Also that he had all the parts to do this work they are OEM parts.

So I bought the car only later to find out when he paid a guy to check out the engine the whole thing needs to now be replaced .

He has 3 other cars and they are all VERY nice so I know this guy is a good person and seems to not be crooked at all.

Not to be too cynical but I believe the seller knew exactly what was wrong.

If you're comfortable with the cost of putting a rebuilt engine into the car and it's otherwise in good shape, go for it.

I don't think the blacked out paint job would help any quest to part the car out successfully.

The following users liked this post:
Theostephens (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014 | 04:02 PM
|
Default Too be honest

I think you are right LOL but hes a nice guy it is what it is I`m very forgiving ..... Anyhow I have thought about it long and hard..... And well...... I`m in love with the R-type and 2003+ models. However the main reason I got this car is I love the paint job and the upgrades he has done to it.

If I decided to buy a newer model and wanted to add new paint just like this and the same rims/tires etc.... I would be looking at spending more thecost of the engine and labor is $3700 and car I bought for $1800 = 5500.00 total cost

On just a jag alone thats a 2003+ model that is not a v6 the cost would be comparable to the total cost of repairing the jag I have now and how much I have spent on it.

I would also be spending another $3,000 min for a decent hot rod black paint job and another $800+ for the rims. And lowering the car $600-700 so the total cost would be $4400-4500 in upgrades and paint. On top of the cost of buying the car. Would bring the total close to 10K. I also would need to worry about the engine and other issues it may have.

This way I have peace of mind a 2yr warranty on the engine and knowing the transmission is good and other parts of the car are also in good condition. IDK let me know what you all think and feel about what I should do. The R-type would be killer

Originally Posted by Mikey
Not to be too cynical but I believe the seller knew exactly what was wrong.

If you're comfortable with the cost of putting a rebuilt engine into the car and it's otherwise in good shape, go for it.

I don't think the blacked out paint job would help any quest to part the car out successfully.

Old 06-16-2014 | 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

For around $10K or less you could get a STR. Just watch EBay.
Just a thought?

Theostephens (06-17-2014)
Old 06-17-2014 | 08:02 AM

Upgrades? I see some dull-looking flat black paint, and some ugly aftermarket wheels... hardly much done to it that you couldn't do with any other, preferably 03+, S-type.

Walk away from it if you still can. Find yourself another S and a few cans of plasti-dip, and you're there...

Old 06-17-2014 | 08:31 AM
|
Default About the dull paint job

Originally Posted by GT42R
Upgrades? I see some dull-looking flat black paint, and some ugly aftermarket wheels... hardly much done to it that you couldn't do with any other, preferably 03+, S-type.

Walk away from it if you still can. Find yourself another S and a few cans of plasti-dip, and you're there...

I dont know a lot of people so like the flat black matte paint job just depends on who you are. And what your taste is, this was painted in hotrod black matte and done professionally. I know many individuals hate black matte but honestly I`m a HUGE fan of it "To his, his own".

Also I'm not looking for having the typical jaguar everyone sees everyday. In california I see about 15-20 jags a day its very normal to see them in los angeles I want something that stands out and hot rod black matte seems to do that. Also as I said I like the way it looks so even if 100% of the car loving population hated it I would still have it painted this color.

If you also read the list on my profile you would see what has been done to the car I still have not listed everything I`m trying to find out the brand name of the custom exhaust he had install onto the jag. As far as the remark about cans of plasti-dip honestly I would not use or touch that stuff with a 10 foot poll.

You can tell when others try doing DIY its just plain sad. After everything is said and done the total cost for me will be around 5K thats with the car being purchased and I think thats not a bad deal. Considering just about everything will have been replaced in it that is problematic for this year and model.

This is my first time dealing with a Jag my last car I owned was a BMW 535i and before that a MB 300 so I`m very new to the Jag

Old 06-17-2014 | 10:41 AM
|
Default Thx for your advice

Originally Posted by clubairth1
For around $10K or less you could get a STR. Just watch EBay.
Just a thought?
I would but honestly I think you misread my post the total cost would be 10K instead of the total cost for what I'll be paying for the new engine installed and the cost I have paid towards the jag so far.

$1800 I have spent. For a new restored engine with 0 miles and a 2 yr warranty installed is going to run me $3700 Total out of pocket for me will be $5500.

Old 06-17-2014 | 10:57 AM

Paint job is cool , rims are terrible and dont suit at all...

so you getting the car with a brand new engine + all the bits that have been done to it like

Timing Parts $2800

Paint job $3100

Chrome Grilles $300

New Leaper $130

New Headliner $475

Tinted windows $130

Rims $1200

All for $5500....????

My take is that a car is not an investment and neither is modding , it's money you spend cos you want to and it gives you a bit of pleasure...go for it if you want to

Old 06-17-2014 | 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Theostephens
$1800 I have spent. For a new restored engine with 0 miles and a 2 yr warranty installed is going to run me $3700 Total out of pocket for me will be $5500.
That seems incredibly cheap for a restored engine.

Old 06-17-2014 | 11:39 AM
|
Default Trust me its legit

Originally Posted by Norri
That seems incredibly cheap for a restored engine.
Welcome to the wonderful prices and deals you can find in california . With the Core its even cheaper. $2295.00 this company I have worked with before has been around for 35+ years. So yes the price is 100% real and the work they do is amazing they back the work up by adding a 2yr warranty.

I do marketing and graphic arts etc.... So I`m going to try to barter with them for an even lower price LOL

Old 06-17-2014 | 11:44 AM
|

Also the guy that would be installing my engine works as a mechanic for Jaguar and does work on Jag as a side gig. So the installation would be done from a certified Jaguar expert not some idiot. He will only be charging me $700 for the labor.

Old 06-17-2014 | 11:49 AM
|
Default Yes your right

The car is not a investment I would maybe get around $3800-4500 back if I sold it with the new engine. Not looking into making money from it just my daily driver. And to feel good about driving it maybe you're right about the rims but I forgot to tell everyone.....

That I`m having them powder coated all black for free from a client of mine. That owns a shop that does this type of work, I did some free work for him in return and have credit at his shop right now

Originally Posted by Rodney Gold
Paint job is cool , rims are terrible and dont suit at all...

so you getting the car with a brand new engine + all the bits that have been done to it like

Timing Parts $2800

Paint job $3100

Chrome Grilles $300

New Leaper $130

New Headliner $475

Tinted windows $130

Rims $1200

All for $5500....????

My take is that a car is not an investment and neither is modding , it's money you spend cos you want to and it gives you a bit of pleasure...go for it if you want to

Old 06-17-2014 | 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
From: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)

Sounds like your mind is already made up that this is a good deal. Others here, many of whom have years in the Jag world, have given their thoughtful opinions based on their experiences with these cars and the cost of owning/maintaining them. You solicited their opinions, only for you to concoct a rationale as to why each of them is wrong and you are right in plodding ahead. My daughter does the same thing and I'll give you the same advice I give her - "next time your mind is already made up, don't ask my opinion. It's a waste of my precious time to give you thoughtful advice that you really don't want to hear, only for you to ignore it and do what you intended to do from the outset."

Good luck with your new black matte Jag.

Old 06-17-2014 | 01:07 PM

Let us know how it works out.

Old 06-17-2014 | 01:25 PM
|
Default Lol

Thats funny yes my mind was about 70% made up however I should have been more clear and asked does everyone think that it is a good deal and worth it. I dont feel I was wasting anyones time with getting a second opinion and seeing I'm new to the world of Jaguar`s I wanted expert opinions. Maintaining my jag will not be an issue seeing I will be getting free work done through a local deal here. For the work I do for them with marketing, graphic arts and online work.

Originally Posted by Jumpin' Jag Flash
Sounds like your mind is already made up that this is a good deal. Others here, many of whom have years in the Jag world, have given their thoughtful opinions based on their experiences with these cars and the cost of owning/maintaining them. You solicited their opinions, only for you to concoct a rationale as to why each of them is wrong and you are right in plodding ahead. My daughter does the same thing and I'll give you the same advice I give her - "next time your mind is already made up, don't ask my opinion. It's a waste of my precious time to give you thoughtful advice that you really don't want to hear, only for you to ignore it and do what you intended to do from the outset."

Good luck with your new black matte Jag.

Old 06-17-2014 | 01:28 PM
|
Default Thx Norri

Originally Posted by Norri
Let us know how it works out.
I will make sure to update everyone, also one more question I had is there any way to change out the console in the 2000 model? That is the only think I`m really dreading being stuck with compared to the 2003+ models its night and day

Old 06-17-2014 | 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

Not viable to change it. All the computers are different so you'd have massive software and hardware tasks.

Maybe you could kludge the old ones into a newer dash. Probably be ugly/hard.

Old 06-17-2014 | 04:00 PM

At the risk of preaching heresy, have you considered dropping in a Chevy LS series engine & mating transmission?

You could find a good used one a whole lot cheaper than a Jaguar engine, have a more reliable transmission, and more power to boot.

There's a company out in California that sells a kit to do this to an XJ8. How hard can it be to adapt the kit to the S-Type?

Old 06-17-2014 | 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

One word: Impossible.

Please do some searches this has already been done and it was a hack job because the electronics can't be converted. So he had a Chevy engine and transmission that would not talk to anything else in the car.

He had heat and A/C. It was either on or off. No control of any kind. He was smart and completely replaced the instrument panel with another GM product. Otherwise you would have no speedometer or any other gauges.

But without interfacing the massive Jaguar electrical system to the GM powertrain you are just running two systems in parallel.

It did work but I really don't consider it useable but it did run and drive. It was a heck of a job to do but the end results were like a kit car rather than a real driving car.

Theostephens (06-19-2014)

Quick Reply: Need advice and help thx