S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a DTS Code Reader...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 10:28 AM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need a DTS Code Reader...

Does anyone know where to buy a DTC code reader that can read Jag codes?

I have an OBD II reader, but it does not seem to be able to access the ABS/Traction Control Codes.

The nearest place that will even look at a Jag is 45-50 miles away. The nearest dealer is about 80 miles away. I like to DIY (myself) anyway... But I need to know what to do!!!

Thanks.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:29 AM

The non-dealer place that will work on Jags wants $75 just to read the codes. I would like to know what I am looking at and I think reading the DTC codes will probably help...

Thanks.

Last edited by BugDoc; 07-16-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Default Dtc...

Hopefully someone will look at this and reply... I just noticed I put DTS in the original title....

Thanks for your suggestions...

Old 07-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

This thread should answer some of your questions. G-luck!

Old 07-16-2010, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

Even a cheap elm327 will read the ABS/etc codes BUT not with generic OBD-II software.

There are not many that will read all the jag modules but quite a few may do your era car, as it uses fewer protocols than the redesign (2002/3).

I have the later car (an STR) and the most bang for buck seemed to me to be AutoEnginuity (with their jag enhancement), so I bought it.

It reads a LOT of things: DTCs and sensors scattered all over the car. It does not drive most of the actuators, which the dealer tool can do (I understand).

You might find a cheaper tool that does the ABS/DSC but not as many as AE does. I didn't want to be buying endless separate tools.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

mine worked just fine, and still does. Reads Land Rover and Jaguar great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UPDAT...motiveQ5fTools

HURRY ON ONE HOUR LEFT!!!!

Old 07-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

It doesn't read ABS codes, does it? As I read the OP, he wants to.

Note: to read ABS codes you need to read them from the DSC/ABS control module.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Veteran member

I agree with jagv8, 99.99% sure the ABS will not be read with that, though the unit does do much of the powertrain that many owners would like to know.

Jason, unplug a wheel speed sensor..., plug your scanner in and test it out

Old 07-16-2010, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
It doesn't read ABS codes, does it? As I read the OP, he wants to.

Note: to read ABS codes you need to read them from the DSC/ABS control module.
Does "read them from the DSC/ABS control module" mean they are read from another plug then the normal OBDII plug, or simply that the reader has to be able to access the "DSC/ABS control module"?

My OBDII read supposedly can read the C#### codes and it is finding none... What does that tell us?

Thx. Greg

Old 07-16-2010, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

Good point. On yesteryear's cars there were often multiple plugs, some hidden away. The S-Type can do it all from the one OBD plug. The control modules are connected to a whole heap of wiring and all of them can be accessed from the one OBD connector.

Technically, there are multiple computer buses, e.g. the redesign has:
J1850 PWM (aka SCP) on pins 2 & 10
ISO 9141-2 on pin 7
CAN on pins 6 & 14
grounds on pins 4 & 5
power (12V) on pin 16

and let's not mention the other pins LOL

There's also D2B but it's optical fibre so cannot be on that plug. Let's ignore it here.

I'm fairly sure your era car is missing the CAN and has extra SCP. (And may have more ACP. Let's ignore ACP.)

An appropriate device can issue requests for data to any of the modules on any of the buses.

Electrical details are in the electrical guide in the workshop manual. There's a section about Vehicle Multiplex Systems and some of the MY guides have a Network Configuration diagram.

Last edited by JagV8; 07-16-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
This thread should answer some of your questions. G-luck!
That thread list the Cen-Tech as an acceptable reader. I have the Cen-Tech 99722 and while it works for P#### codes, I cannot seem to read any C#### codes even though I am getting a ABS/Traction Control Fault light.

So far, the only reader in that thread I can see that reads DTC ABS and Traction Codes is the one you and JagV8 are using. Can you provide a link to the manufacturer or a place to buy?

Does anyone else know of any other reader that can read the ABS and Traction Control Fault codes?

Thanks.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

You'll kick yourself, the first mention of AE in that thread is a link (URL) to their site
http://www.autoenginuity.com/

The real dealer-type tools will also read ABS etc but tend to cost $3-10K. Note the "K"
Although I'm told that WDS (now outdated) covers the jag and can be got from ebay. Almost certainly true but I already have AE.

You can get AE from ebay, they auction them and you may save a few $$$. But you can't get the jag add-on that way AFAIK. So, you buy that direct (if you go this way).

If you know who made the ABS module you might find a cheaper tool to read it. Maybe Teves? ATE? But you could get a tool which works on other cars with (Teves or whatever) yet not on the S-Type.

You can do some basic stuff on ABS with a multimeter such as reading sensor impedance, if that's any help. And a bit more with a 'scope.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:13 PM
Veteran member

AutoEngenuity its been really handy. You have to get the enhanced feature package in order to access all the cool modules like the ABS and body. Plus, you get enhanced transmission and engine, practically everything the car can monitor, so can you.

I'm not familiar with any other 'consumer' product that can get you there, especially for the price of $500.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
AutoEngenuity its been really handy. You have to get the enhanced feature package in order to access all the cool modules like the ABS and body. Plus, you get enhanced transmission and engine, practically everything the car can monitor, so can you.

I'm not familiar with any other 'consumer' product that can get you there, especially for the price of $500.
Since I just paid $75 to have the ABS read on the S-type I am considering buying the AutoEnginuity device. I do have a question for those of you who have one.

I have vehicles from 5 different manufacturers. I cannot afford the manufacturer specific upgrades for all five. I'll likely get the upgrade for Jag.

QUESTION: I cannot tell from the website exactly what I will and will not be able to do on each vehicle w/out the specific upgrade. I know I can ask the manufacturer. But I thought I would ask those of you that own one first.

Thanks.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Veteran member

I suppose all of the basic OBDII engine and transmission, in some of the links for the other models in member approved thread, it lists the basics.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member

AFAIK it will drop back to be the sort of generic OBD tool that all the ordinary ones are. I think it will support reading the VIN even then, which some don't do. It may also still read the CALID & CVN (to do with calibration data), which many tools won't do (for no good reason). Er, you're not especially likely to care about these.

It can record & playback data later on, which not all tools do. But plenty do. It's a handy way to look at things like O2 sensor graphs (of voltage etc waveforms). IIRC you already changed the O2s so they better have good waveforms!

Check with them / their site that the enhanced DOES support the early S-Type. I have the redesign and it's OK on that.

The user interface is a bit quirky here and there - not badly but just a bit. I know..... all WIndows apps are, nowadays

I don't know if it does KWP2000 or not. It probably does, I just don't know (I don't need it).

Since I bought mine (AE's model ST05), they've now got the ProLine. You'll have to figure out which to get and I don't know enough to help. Sounds like probably the ProLine.

Mine has one of the pins I would expect to be connected not present (pin 5; signal ground; omitted by design) and frankly they've got it wrong. I asked them about it but I think they know software much better than hardware. IIRC, the USA authorities such as CARB (and thus I/M places) require pin 5 but not pin 4 (chassis ground). If the ProLine does it right that would be good.

They don't fit the other (non-connected) pins, so it's not very good mechanically, which is a failure waiting to happen. Not good for something so expensive. It means you have to be super careful each time to cover the problem up. And on the redesign S-Type the OBD socket is not that easy to get at.

Still, I'm glad I bought it. It was the only tool I could find at an affordable price that supported a decent number of modules in the car.

Their "upgrade" or whatever they call it annual software charge (for updates) is unacceptably expensive, and their hardware upgrade charge and procedure is a disaster so I'll just avoid them by not buying.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
AFAIK it will drop back to be the sort of generic OBD tool that all the ordinary ones are. I think it will support reading the VIN even then, which some don't do. It may also still read the CALID & CVN (to do with calibration data), which many tools won't do (for no good reason). Er, you're not especially likely to care about these.

It can record & playback data later on, which not all tools do. But plenty do. It's a handy way to look at things like O2 sensor graphs (of voltage etc waveforms). IIRC you already changed the O2s so they better have good waveforms!

Check with them / their site that the enhanced DOES support the early S-Type. I have the redesign and it's OK on that.

The user interface is a bit quirky here and there - not badly but just a bit. I know..... all WIndows apps are, nowadays

I don't know if it does KWP2000 or not. It probably does, I just don't know (I don't need it).

Since I bought mine (AE's model ST05), they've now got the ProLine. You'll have to figure out which to get and I don't know enough to help. Sounds like probably the ProLine.

Mine has one of the pins I would expect to be connected not present (pin 5; signal ground; omitted by design) and frankly they've got it wrong. I asked them about it but I think they know software much better than hardware. IIRC, the USA authorities such as CARB (and thus I/M places) require pin 5 but not pin 4 (chassis ground). If the ProLine does it right that would be good.

They don't fit the other (non-connected) pins, so it's not very good mechanically, which is a failure waiting to happen. Not good for something so expensive. It means you have to be super careful each time to cover the problem up. And on the redesign S-Type the OBD socket is not that easy to get at.

Still, I'm glad I bought it. It was the only tool I could find at an affordable price that supported a decent number of modules in the car.

Their "upgrade" or whatever they call it annual software charge (for updates) is unacceptably expensive, and their hardware upgrade charge and procedure is a disaster so I'll just avoid them by not buying.
So it does not sound like you are totally infatuated by this tool. Does anyone else know another that can do the same things?

Old 07-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Veteran member

So it does not sound like you are totally infatuated by this tool. Does anyone else know another that can do the same things?
I haven't found any, not even close in price. My version is 3 years old, and don't have any plans on upgrading (for a fee of course) as long as my MY car is covered (up to 2006 I suppose) I've not experienced any issues on the xk8, software or hardware-wise like jabV8 has seen above (knock on wood).

Its probably way more advanced for what I have used it for, but so very glad I have it 'in' the toolbox.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member

I don't know of anything else near it for the price (which is why I bought it). I wondered about a used dealer-type tool from ebay but they appeared to have other issues (such as crappy little screens). I didn't know that a used WDS might be good enough but I'd want one that was working not limping along. I don't know enough about WDS but having already got the AE I'm no longer actively looking.