S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need everyones help...Oil change prices dealership etc????

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts
Exclamation Need everyones help...Oil change prices dealership etc????

I am writing a problem and solution paper in my college english class. I am using the topic of evolution of automotive electronics causing the average do-it-yourselfer to have a harder time to work on their own vehicles. I am trying to use the comparison of doing repairs and prevenative maintanence yourself compared to dealerships and independents. So since I always do my own repairs I already know those costs. So what I'm asking is can people tell me what they have paid for doing an oil change at the dealership or an independent? Also how much for a fuel filter replacement at a dealership or independent? And the same for a plug change? If anyone can provide that info it would be greatly appreciated. Also for the services requiring parts if you wouldnt mind what the parts costs were. If you have had some other repairs please post those too cause I can look up the parts costs of what I would of spent on it and figure out the saving from that. Thanks for any info anyone can provide in advance.
Would prefer STR's since thats what I'm comparing too.

Last edited by vance580; 04-04-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:35 AM
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by vance580
I am writing a problem and solution paper in my college english class. I am using the topic of evolution of automotive electronics causing the average do-it-yourselfer to have a harder time to work on their own vehicles. I am trying to use the comparison of doing repairs and prevenative maintanence yourself compared to dealerships and independents. So since I always do my own repairs I already know those costs. So what I'm asking is can people tell me what they have paid for doing an oil change at the dealership or an independent? Also how much for a fuel filter replacement at a dealership or independent? And the same for a plug change? If anyone can provide that info it would be greatly appreciated. Also for the services requiring parts if you wouldnt mind what the parts costs were. If you have had some other repairs please post those too cause I can look up the parts costs of what I would of spent on it and figure out the saving from that. Thanks for any info anyone can provide in advance.
Would prefer STR's since thats what I'm comparing too.

With research papers, most people are willing to answer questions, have you tried calling your local dealer and/or independant repair shop?

I figure you've probably already thought of this, but tossing it out there as I know when writing papers sometimes 'easy' things are spaced out.

Good luck!

Old 04-04-2011, 05:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Vance, I paid $65 to an independent mechanic for an oil change as compared to paying $40 for 7 quarts Mobil 1 synthetic oil and a filter and performing change myself.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:46 AM
jya
Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

Vance, I could certainly give you some info but I don't know how relevant that would be coming from Australia. I know the Jag dealerships charge about $165 per hour as compared to about $180 for MB and BMW here. I have several invoices I can tell you about etc.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Vance - don't have any oil change experience since that is always DIY, but I have this example to share if it is useful for you:

My STR was in the dealership for a courtesy inspection during a service clinic - (you get a free state inspection voucher if you show up, and some free schwag and food). Anyway, they said the front brakes were borderline for passing inspection and provided an estimate for replacement.

For front pads and rotors and a few bits of hardware, plus labor, it came to about $1,100. (!!)

I ordered pads myself from TireRack, the rotors are fine, and will do the job myself for just the cost of the pads - about $120.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Thanks for the info so far. Anyone gotten plugs either done or quoted at a dealership? I'll call today to get an oil change price for the dealership so I can use your independent price for that bfsgross and the diy price. I'm definitly gonna use that brake quote Chris wow thats high. I did all 4 of mine for way cheaper then that.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

When I first bought my car, I had it in the dealership a few months later for the water pump and figured I'd go ahead and have them change the oil. After I saw the invoice, they charged me $90 for the oil change with conventional oil (despite the jag manual stating to use synthetic anyway). For $50 I do it myself with royal purple now.

Same thing goes for ignition coils, they charged me way too much (2 hours in labor) to change 2 coils. When I did it, it was literally a 2min job in the parking lot.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

vance - im currently due for my 100k tune up.. i gave my local Jag dealer (Galpin Jaguar) a call on friday for a quote... $950 parts and labor.. for a tune up!! needless to say, i wont be taking it in.. im currently on the hunt for all required parts and im just gonna pay my uncle to do it..
knowing your an avid DIY'er, maybe you can point me in the right direction as far as getting the lowest price on parts.. it be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil change at the local dealership here is $75.00.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:37 AM
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Oil change: $74
Filter: $19
Oil x8 quarts: $18
Labor: $30
Shop supplies: $4.5
Tax: $2.50