S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need front and rear brake pads for STR 03'??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Need front and rear brake pads for STR 03'??

Hey everyone, I bought a used S type "R" 03' and I need brake pads for it front and back. Anyone have any good suggestions on which ceramic brand pads would best fit this bad boy at a good price? Plz keep in mind my rotors are not drilled.
I heard Akebono ceramics pads are very good, but I can't find them to fit non-drilled rotors

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out on finding the correct ones for my Jag.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

You'll find your brake pad answer by either; using our "Search Forum" feature or shortly waiting for a response from this forums STR owners.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:46 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by jag79
Hey everyone, I bought a used S type "R" 03' and I need brake pads for it front and back. Anyone have any good suggestions on which ceramic brand pads would best fit this bad boy at a good price? Plz keep in mind my rotors are not drilled.
I heard Akebono ceramics pads are very good, but I can't find them to fit non-drilled rotors

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out on finding the correct ones for my Jag.
www.rockauto.com

Full set of Akebono ceramic pads for OEM rotors $170 - work flawlessly - no dust, no fade, no squeal - got 'em yet?

Cool eh?

Old 07-29-2010, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bfsgross
You'll find your brake pad answer by either; using our "Search Forum" feature or shortly waiting for a response from this forums STR owners.
...I'm trying to decide btw getting the EBC Red stuff ceramics or Akebono ceramics?? Anyone have any experience with either of the two for my STR??

thanks....

Old 07-29-2010, 11:47 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm about to order fronts and backs from tirerack.com. Akebono ceramics, have heard nothing but good things about them. I am FED UP with the dust and very "touchy" low speed braking of the OEMs.

I know some people who have red stuff pads, and have gotten mixed feelings. I really dont think you can go wrong with the Akebonos. Good luck and hope you are happy with your purchase.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bull27
I'm about to order fronts and backs from tirerack.com. Akebono ceramics, have heard nothing but good things about them. I am FED UP with the dust and very "touchy" low speed braking of the OEMs.

I know some people who have red stuff pads, and have gotten mixed feelings. I really dont think you can go wrong with the Akebonos. Good luck and hope you are happy with your purchase.
Hey thanks guys I'm going to go ahead and look for the Akebonos ceramic pads as well, your right I have heard nothing but rave reviews from pervious owners on their reliability and performance.

thanks again everyone for your input.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:59 PM

Let me know where you find the best deal, I was going to buy them from the Rack and add an order of G2 caliper paint as well, do them at the same time...

Old 07-30-2010, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member

Let me know where you find the best deal, I was going to buy them from the Rack and add an order of G2 caliper paint as well, do them at the same time...
Hey I found Amazon has the cheapest so far,
type in search of amazon the manufactures sku#s( I cross referenced them and you can check also that these will fit the 03'-and up s type r jag)
Akebono Eur1065: $85 /front
" Eur806 : $65 /rear
Total: $150 plus FREE SHIPPING!!!!!
**Becareful other Akebono series have it for the Brembo calipers or have shims, just to make sure we don't need the "Shims" right??

Let me know what you think, i'll take a look at what you found.
cheers!

Last edited by jag79; 07-30-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

That's a new one to me. There are different pads for drilled and non-drilled rotors? How about slotted?

Just to clarify your car does have the Brembo calipers so that's the set you want. Some parts dealer listing have errors on pads and rotors and don't always distinguish accurately betwwen the Brembo years (03-05) and the non-Brembo years 06 and later. The rotors are different as well. I don't know about the shims but someone on here does. A lot of guys have used these pads and like them.

Bob S.

Plz keep in mind my rotors are not drilled.
I heard Akebono ceramics pads are very good, but I can't find them to fit non-drilled rotors.

Last edited by Staatsof; 07-30-2010 at 06:01 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Akebono ceramic pads
/thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I got a set of "premium" semi-metallic brakes and slotted/dimpled rotors from brakeperformance and am VERY dissapointed in the pad performance. Noisy, and a bit rough, and I've given them a healthy brake in.

Akebono's here I come. I might even put my stock rotors back on.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:02 AM
ccc
Received 61 Likes on 14 Posts

Having used both the EBC and the Akebono's, the "touchy" low speed breaking doesn't go away...I has hoping it would cure this too. On the plus side, with the red on the back and the akebono's up front, my rear rims are brown and the fronts are silver so it helps quite a bit with the dust.

I have a pair of rear Akebono in front of me, the part # for the Brembo is EUR592. It comes with shims glued to the back of the pad.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
That's a new one to me. There are different pads for drilled and non-drilled rotors? How about slotted?

Just to clarify your car does have the Brembo calipers so that's the set you want. Some parts dealer listing have errors on pads and rotors and don't always distinguish accurately betwwen the Brembo years (03-05) and the non-Brembo years 06 and later. The rotors are different as well. I don't know about the shims but someone on here does. A lot of guys have used these pads and like them.

Bob S.
Bob I think you are wrong man, from 05 or 06 Brembo brakes were made on the the STR's, I even called the Jag dealer, they said the 03 STR's dont have Brembo CAlipers, I even asked one of the jag wholesalers , they said the same thing. If any one can clarify this as well it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Old 07-30-2010, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by ccc
Having used both the EBC and the Akebono's, the "touchy" low speed breaking doesn't go away...I has hoping it would cure this too. On the plus side, with the red on the back and the akebono's up front, my rear rims are brown and the fronts are silver so it helps quite a bit with the dust.

I have a pair of rear Akebono in front of me, the part # for the Brembo is EUR592. It comes with shims glued to the back of the pad.
Interesting, I thought I read on one of the many pad threads here that the low speed/crawl grabbing is cured by ceramics. I'll take your word for it though. At least ill have clean rims!

Old 07-30-2010, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ccc

IF I may ask what year is your S type R? So you do have the Brembo CAlipers on yours? The Jag dealer said my STR 03' doesnt have the BRembos and some one else said it does, can you clarify?

Thanks.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Bob I think you are wrong man, from 05 or 06 Brembo brakes were made on the the STR's, I even called the Jag dealer, they said the 03 STR's dont have Brembo CAlipers, I even asked one of the jag wholesalers , they said the same thing. If any one can clarify this as well it would be much appreciated.
I think your dealer's wrong, at least partly if not entirely.
I believe ALL STRs were Brembo from the start (2002/3) until some point when the other brakes (Teves?) were fitted, which was 2006ish. Thay may be 2006MY which would be during 2005 (yeah). Brembo may have still been an option. Some searches will surely find pictures of both - try ebay etc. You can get a printout of your car in depth if you ask any jag dealer nicely. It may list the brakes on there.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
I think your dealer's wrong, at least partly if not entirely.
I believe ALL STRs were Brembo from the start (2002/3) until some point when the other brakes (Teves?) were fitted, which was 2006ish. Thay may be 2006MY which would be during 2005 (yeah). Brembo may have still been an option. Some searches will surely find pictures of both - try ebay etc. You can get a printout of your car in depth if you ask any jag dealer nicely. It may list the brakes on there.
Yeah i think they are Brembo's b/c I called another jaguarautoparts wholesaler and gave him my last 6 Vin digits and he confirmed they were by the part# for the front brakes. All good

Akebono Euro938front/Euro592Rear ceramic brake pads here I come....

Old 07-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks
06,07,08 DO NOT have Brembo's. I have an 06 no Brembo's.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:52 PM
ccc
Received 61 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting, I thought I read on one of the many pad threads here that the low speed/crawl grabbing is cured by ceramics. I'll take your word for it though. At least ill have clean rims!
I think when you first put them on, the problem goes away but it comes back affer they bed in. In any case, the problem still exists in my 04 STR but may be better then stock.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Thanks
Parts houses are notorious. Call your local dealer with your vin number. If you dfon't get ***** like the ones who did the PPI on my car they should be able set you straight. Then ask him which you need and the price for pads and rotors.

Once you regain conciousness you can start shopping elsewhere. The Akebono pads are a lot more reasonable. I have no personal experience with them but others on here like them a lot. There are other companies that have reasonably priced pads as well . There are even alternative rotors of the correct size and not the ones for the 06-08 cars which are often mistakenly listed on websites for the 03-05 cars. These are much less money than the Brembos buch not cheap. Brembo is good stuff but IMHO coming from Jaguar it's over priced.

Try searching for the Akebono and pads&rotors threads. You will see all the trials and tribulations of people who've ordered stuff that didn't fit or that they didn't like. Based upon what I've read on here and my 35 years experience with performance cars if it were me (I don't need them yet) I'd get plain rotors (maybe slotted at most) and Akebobo pads. The stock pads work just fine but as has been mentioned they make your wheels dirty as hell. I just cleaned my wheels this morning. The wheel cleaner was pretty much useless. A brush and water works fine though. Just a pain. I may try a set of the Akebonos SOON!

Read the threads man. These guys have been there already!

Bob S.

Quick Reply: Need front and rear brake pads for STR 03'??