S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need front and rear brake pads for STR 03'??

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Parts houses are notorious. Call your local dealer with your vin number. If you dfon't get ***** like the ones who did the PPI on my car they should be able set you straight. Then ask him which you need and the price for pads and rotors.

Once you regain conciousness you can start shopping elsewhere. The Akebono pads are a lot more reasonable. I have no personal experience with them but others on here like them a lot. There are other companies that have reasonably priced pads as well . There are even alternative rotors of the correct size and not the ones for the 06-08 cars which are often mistakenly listed on websites for the 03-05 cars. These are much less money than the Brembos buch not cheap. Brembo is good stuff but IMHO coming from Jaguar it's over priced.

Try searching for the Akebono and pads&rotors threads. You will see all the trials and tribulations of people who've ordered stuff that didn't fit or that they didn't like. Based upon what I've read on here and my 35 years experience with performance cars if it were me (I don't need them yet) I'd get plain rotors (maybe slotted at most) and Akebobo pads. The stock pads work just fine but as has been mentioned they make your wheels dirty as hell. I just cleaned my wheels this morning. The wheel cleaner was pretty much useless. A brush and water works fine though. Just a pain. I may try a set of the Akebonos SOON!

Read the threads man. These guys have been there already!

Bob S.
Good post Bob.

Any of you guys with 06-08 STR's I have tried with no luck to find Akebonos for my car.
All the parts places list them for 06-08 but when you dig deep you will see that they are just adding 06-08 cars with the part numbers for the 03-05 Jags. The 06-08 pads are no way even close in contruction.Your VIN number is very important to use in the purchase of these pads.
Brembo's require pins.The 06-08 pads sit on a carrier with hooked sides.
I called the Akebono factory in Michigan and left a message with the so called expert and got no return call.
I think the numbers had dropped so low towards the end of the STR run that some of these brake companies could not be bothered to produce the new changed style pads to cover their cost of production.
Will jump back in if I ever get a call from Akebono.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by MyBlackCat
06,07,08 DO NOT have Brembo's. I have an 06 no Brembo's.
+100
Please read past threads... 2006 MY STR had two major updates; removal of the Brembo Brakes and the addition of VVT... And if your "Bull27" there was a third.... They started putting the chrome trunk trim from the base car on all R's.. eliminating the body color trim in back.. LOL... He hates the chrome...

Old 07-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Parts houses are notorious. Call your local dealer with your vin number. If you dfon't get ***** like the ones who did the PPI on my car they should be able set you straight. Then ask him which you need and the price for pads and rotors.

Once you regain conciousness you can start shopping elsewhere. The Akebono pads are a lot more reasonable. I have no personal experience with them but others on here like them a lot. There are other companies that have reasonably priced pads as well . There are even alternative rotors of the correct size and not the ones for the 06-08 cars which are often mistakenly listed on websites for the 03-05 cars. These are much less money than the Brembos buch not cheap. Brembo is good stuff but IMHO coming from Jaguar it's over priced.

Try searching for the Akebono and pads&rotors threads. You will see all the trials and tribulations of people who've ordered stuff that didn't fit or that they didn't like. Based upon what I've read on here and my 35 years experience with performance cars if it were me (I don't need them yet) I'd get plain rotors (maybe slotted at most) and Akebobo pads. The stock pads work just fine but as has been mentioned they make your wheels dirty as hell. I just cleaned my wheels this morning. The wheel cleaner was pretty much useless. A brush and water works fine though. Just a pain. I may try a set of the Akebonos SOON!

Read the threads man. These guys have been there already!

Bob S.
Thanks Bob for the info! I too have the Standard rotors and I believe my Calipers are Brembo, not Brembo Brakes. The brakes I have right now are OEM. So what I have found out that Akebonos pads that i told you about earlier do fit my Jag (fingers crossed) I gave my Vin# to the dealer, he gave me the OEm number for the front pads. So I cross referenced them online and it said its compatible fit for Brembo calipers. PHewwwwwww...this is crazy, Jag parts who I may add also does ONLY Jag repairs father and Son, sold me a "Bosch" oil Filter the Premium type for $8. The oil filter # for my 03' STR is 72209.

This is off the topic question and its kinda bugging me; The Jag repair shop who also sells Jag parts sold me a "Bosch" oil Filter the Premium type for $8. The Bosch oil filter # for my 03' STR is 72209.
In general is the OEM oil filter for the STR 03' longer in size? The Bosch looks a bit small but the Jag repair man who also sells jag parts said Bosch is good just like the OEM, bc Jaguar just puts there Label on it, and its made from another company

Last edited by jag79; 07-30-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:18 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
+100
Please read past threads... 2006 MY STR had two major updates; removal of the Brembo Brakes and the addition of VVT... And if your "Bull27" there was a third.... They started putting the chrome trunk trim from the base car on all R's.. eliminating the body color trim in back.. LOL... He hates the chrome...
Ha, very true! No offense to anyone with the 06+, but I just think it was foolish they would slap a chrome piece on the trunk when everything else is body color matched. Instead of grouping those all together as "updates", I'd say "changes".

Update: VVT
Change: (for better or worse): slapping a chrome strip on boot and no Brembos.

Hey Jeff, did you see that other thread about import data? Do you still have those numbers laying around for North American STR's by MY?

Old 07-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull27
Ha, very true! No offense to anyone with the 06+, but I just think it was foolish they would slap a chrome piece on the trunk when everything else is body color matched. Instead of grouping those all together as "updates", I'd say "changes".

Update: VVT
Change: (for better or worse): slapping a chrome strip on boot and no Brembos.

Hey Jeff, did you see that other thread about import data? Do you still have those numbers laying around for North American STR's by MY?
LOLz.....so true I too dont like the Chrome, no offense to anyone, just my preference not to have chrome on the car when there is not chrome anywhere else :P

Old 08-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Speaking from someone that has never performed his own brake job, I'm looking to replace my rotors and pads on my STR 2005. I've selected Brembo rotors and am looking for the pads.
My rear rotors seem more ate up than the front? And since the cost seems low that is why I thought about just replacing the rotors rather than have someone machine them, and possibly too low (seems to happen a lot these days).

Question: my rear brake system looks like it has two calipers per wheel? What pads would I get? Thanx. Brembo doesn't make rear discs? How's Beck Arnley for rear?

The front just has one per wheel.

Last edited by chrislynn5; 08-07-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:11 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

The 2nd caliper, the plain non-painted one towards the back of the car, is the emergency brake caliper.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:14 AM

Not the parking brake? What is the emergency brake? What is the brake load between front and back, do you know? 40% front - 60% rear? I see no brembo rear discs?

thanx.

Last edited by chrislynn5; 08-07-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry, you are right, wrong choice of words, it is the parking brake. So use to calling them emergency brakes all these years.

Gone are the RockFord Files E-brake 360 spin.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Er... guys it is both emergency and parking brake. (Read the fine manual lol)
You can and should apply it on the move if need be.
Over here it's tested annually (with the wheels turning, i.e. as if in an emergency) as part of our MoT (think I/M)..

Old 08-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
+100
+1 Dont worry Bull27 I actually agree with you about the chrome trim. Someone actually added it on the back of my 05 with a chrome sticker guess what was the first thing to come off once I pulled her into my driveway.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:37 AM

I am still wondering about the mfg to use, I didn't want to start another thread just for '05 STR. I'm not looking to "hot rod" mine out. Just was wondering what was best as an OEM replacement. I don't see any mfg. mentioned for rear rotor or disks? I did find info on Brembo but there seems to be an lot of confusion on this website as to what the years are, etc.

also, Does anyone know the distribution between back and front braking. If another post has this info, please add the link.

Thanx.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vance580
+1 Dont worry Bull27 I actually agree with you about the chrome trim. Someone actually added it on the back of my 05 with a chrome sticker guess what was the first thing to come off once I pulled her into my driveway.

Thats very interesting the previous owner slapped that chrome tim piece on there, wonder if it was factory.

We were talking about this in another thread and someone put a post of the STR with the chrome side mirror covers...For some weird reason I thought those looked pretty awesome. Maybe it was the picture, maybe it was the color of the car, but it got me thinking nonetheless.

That strip though, I just think it looks somewhat out of place on darker colored 06+ STRs.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull27
Thats very interesting the previous owner slapped that chrome tim piece on there, wonder if it was factory.

We were talking about this in another thread and someone put a post of the STR with the chrome side mirror covers...For some weird reason I thought those looked pretty awesome. Maybe it was the picture, maybe it was the color of the car, but it got me thinking nonetheless.

That strip though, I just think it looks somewhat out of place on darker colored 06+ STRs.
I'm unsure if it was factory but whoever was the previous owner of mine loved stickers. It had the chrome sticker on the rear it had pinstriping all over it even on the hood lines. I spent about 4 hours once I got her home just pulling off stickers. Still have the pinstriping on the sides and rear bumper should be able to get those off this weekend. Been too busy and its been way to hot to sit out there and pull them off and get rid of the glue. It will be gone in time though.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by chrislynn5
I am still wondering about the mfg to use, I didn't want to start another thread just for '05 STR. I'm not looking to "hot rod" mine out. Just was wondering what was best as an OEM replacement. I don't see any mfg. mentioned for rear rotor or disks? I did find info on Brembo but there seems to be an lot of confusion on this website as to what the years are, etc.

also, Does anyone know the distribution between back and front braking. If another post has this info, please add the link.

Thanx.
You might see if this post helps you clear up your confusion about which cars have Brembos and which do not.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...07&postcount=3

There are of course the factory supplied rotos and pads. Those are very expensive. I you search enough on here there are numerous threads mentioning the Akebono pads. There's even a reference to them in one of the stickies. They supply aftermarket pads for the cars with the Brembos.

Centric shows aftermarket rotors for the same cars (03-05). Quite a few other vendors seem to have errors in their catalogs so be very careful. The two I mentioned are OK.

I must say that based upon your postings in this thread this sounds like it's going to be a major learning experience for you so do some reading on basic braking systems maintenance especially for disc brakes. Get a JTIS as well. It's not rocket science but there is more than you might think to this if you want it to turn out properly.

Bob S.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:42 PM

Thanx, I have some pads in and have tried getting Brembo discs and am finding that the parts ordering world is a mess. Tried five websites/companies and two said they had them when called. I spent an hour having them both check that claim. Yet now both called me and said they really didn't have them, tried to up sell me etc, and gave refunds. And the person calling me in both cases sounded liek they were from India? Buying parts is like buying a used car from a seede used car saleman. It sucks.

will post update once I get correct parts and do the work.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,378 Likes on 1,875 Posts

I found the correct STR front rotors at these two places.

Ken Karr Motorcars, LTD.
Houston, Tx
1-800-338-5238
They want $450 /pair for the fronts. Check price may have gone up.

Andy at BrakePerformance
1-866-756-5536
They want $460/pair for slotted and cross drilled or
$489 for slotted and dimpled rotors.
Both of these are either zinc coated black or silver. Your choice. They used to give a set of front pads for that price too!

But I really recommend using the Akebono Euro Ultra Ceramic pads.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:44 PM

Thanx! Yea, I've seen these high priced parts, and really appreciate you looking for me. I was trying to be frugle. What is funny is that the Dealership wanted $904 for front brakes and to turn discs. If no turn, just a mere $550!!!!
I found at car-stuff.com the Akebono Euro Ultra Ceramic pads for roughly $130 for the front, and I just ordered today the euro jag replacement parts standard I guess named eurospare, since they screwed up the Brembo discs they gave me two of these for $160! They are dimpled (holes). We used the VIN to get the part number.

http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/ja...ings+Page%3A10

So I'm thinking I'll have $290 in parts!

Last edited by chrislynn5; 08-21-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

I don't see anything in that link that would make me think they are going to fit a 2003 STR. That catalog appears to be rife with errors as well.

Why would anyone want "dimpled" rotors? Unless you think it just looks cool. It will probably just give you continual issues with buildup on the rotor.

I suggest you either pick a supplier that has deliverd the correct parts to someone on this forum or one that can match all the measurements as listed in Jag documentation. It's supposed to be listed in the JTIS somewhere.

Bob S.

Last edited by Staatsof; 08-22-2010 at 02:27 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Brembo front disc vented 365mm x 32mm for the STR. Be careful not to buy the similar but smaller discs for various other jags!! (Minimum thickness 30mm.)

Brembo rear disc solid (non-vented) 330mm x 15mm for the STR. Again, be careful about exact size etc. (Minimum thickness 13mm.)

Please please someone confirm or correct me

(Later than about 2005/6 STR does not have Brembo and the discs are different.)

Er, divide by 25.4 to get inches. Yeah, I'm happier with those too but I can do it both ways.

Quick Reply: Need front and rear brake pads for STR 03'??