S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,710 Likes on 1,212 Posts

No one has reported that when the trans seal leaks its lubie juice that it causes any type of shorting out.

I hope the plastic parts that you saw aren't causing any of this nonsense.

Its very possible at the car wash water may have gotten to the electrical connection. Did you purchase the was with under body option?

The following users liked this post:
desertchimera (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 3,945 Posts

+1 The oil isn't going to short out.

See what happens, looks like a dead end at the moment.

desertchimera (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 02:03 PM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

I'm not too familiar with the S-Type so ignore me if I'm completely on the wrong track with this!

The Parts Catalogue shows a replaceable switch (item 3) within the gearchange assembly.

Need help-s-type-gear-selector.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

I've arrowed a microswitch on this in red on the above diagram.

Jaguar microswitches have a dreadful reputation in other models and locations.

If this microswitch is part of the interlock circuit then it's showing the typical symptoms of imminent failure - random working/not working and then total failure.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
desertchimera (02-10-2014), joycesjag (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 07:20 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The grimlin is back!!!!!!!!!! I took my son to scouts tonight to see if the problem would arise and it did. I hit a dip in the road and the lights that tell you that its in drive and the sport mode light went out...Put the vehicle back in the garage and move the shifter to park and it stuck. Luckily when it was apart, I found the shifter release, its a little round metal cylinder with wings on it of the driver side of the shifter. You can turn it with a pair of needle nose pliers to release the lever out of park. So I narrow the problem down to either a loose wire or a short somewhere in the electronics of the vehicle. I think Graham in his post may have some validity. Any suggestions from here would be grateful....Please talk it over with your contacts to see if they have ran across this before. In the meantime, I need to purchase a test light since this was one of the items stolen during housing/neighborhood construction. Thanks for everyones help, It was much gracefully appreciated. Look forward to hear everyone solutions....Several brains together is greater than one....Just wished y'all were all here to help, could use that for sure. Thanks again, you don't know how much that means to me!

Old 02-10-2014, 07:22 PM

The shift release does look like a wing nut to help those that run across this problem and there is a picture of it in the previous photos. Like I said, its on the drivers side of the shifter and you do need to remove the wooden shifter cover to get to it.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:32 PM

Also just in case I need to remove the shifter completely out, is there a easy way of doing this without accidentally breaking it...I never did get the ashtray completely out, I removed the front two screws but couldn't find what was holding it still in place in the back.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,600 Likes on 8,688 Posts

Sounds like a loose wire. Wiggle each around one at a time and see what happens

desertchimera (02-16-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 08:52 PM

ok here is an update, coming back from scouts, the lights lit up again except for the sport mode light, it wouldn't engage. Park the vehicle and turn it off and back on and the sport mode light came back and engage...diffidently a loose connection somewhere. Just need to know what and it has to be in the shifter itself, so it looks like I am going to need to remove it and look at all the wire connections. Really could use pictures and detailed instructions on removing it carefully without breaking anything. Please send info if possible.....Thanks

Old 02-10-2014, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,448 Posts

What year and engine? Was looking through the wiring diagrams. If you have an '01, a bad connection at ground CA141 would kill the interlock solenoid, the gear selection lights (P, R, N, etc.) and light inside the sport mode switch. This ground is listed as "Below front seat; LH side, under seat".

See pages 56/57 here for an '01:

http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.co...ec%20Guide.pdf

Other years here:

http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.co..._Reference.htm

I think that common ground is the prime culprit. I didn't follow out the power supply to the solenoid, indicator lights, and sport switch, but they are likely from different sources.

As far as the microswitch in the J gate, I think that's the D-4 switch as shown in the J gate assembly on that same wiring diagram. When you downshift one notch from D (across the bottom of the J gate, to the left), the shift cable doesn't actually move but the microswitch sends a signal to the transmission control logic.

Fingers crossed. Let us know the year and engine so I can make sure we are looking at the right digram.

Last edited by kr98664; 02-11-2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Fix typo
Old 02-10-2014, 08:54 PM

Goodnight and thanks for everyones post....I will tear into it tommorrow

Old 02-11-2014, 02:05 AM
Veteran Member

Do NOT use a test light! Use a meter (DVOM).

There are only some places where a test light is OK on modern cars. On others it loads the signal too much and can burn out electronics. Only use a test light if you are CERTAIN you know it is OK on that specific item.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:17 AM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by desertchimera
.......... Just need to know what and it has to be in the shifter itself, so it looks like I am going to need to remove it and look at all the wire connections. Really could use pictures and detailed instructions on removing it carefully without breaking anything. Please send info if possible.....Thanks
+1 to JagV8's warning Do NOT use a test light! On modern vehicles, using a test light is the electrical equivalent of using a wrecking bar to check the oil level.

Here are two extracts from JTIS which could help you.

1. J-Gate removal procedure:
JTIS - S Type Transmission Selector Lever.pdf

2. J-Gate Pinpoint Tests:
JTIS - S Type J Gate Pinpoint Tests.pdf

The issue looks to be a random combination of interlock, selector lever position and illumination faults.

1. The interlock solenoid is controlled by an input from the brake pedal switch through the CAN (Controlled Area Network) bus.

2. The transmission selector lever position is sent to the TCM (Transmission Control Module) using electronic code through the CAN bus. 'Hall Effect' switches and a micro controller inside the transmission selector lever generate this electronic code. (similar 'Hall Effect' switches in the front seat are a known issue)

3. Transmission selector illumination is provided by the TCM using electronic code generated from the physical position of the level to illuminate the relevant transmission selector lever position in red. The green background for the transmission selector lever module is hard-wired to the FEM (Front Electronics Module).

So there's two modules involved both communicating through the CAN bus taking signals from the J-Gate assembly which looks to be a largely non-serviceable item. It's times like this when having a neighbour with the same vehicle would allow a quick substitution of a known working part as an elimination test.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 02-11-2014 at 06:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-11-2014, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,050 Likes on 1,448 Posts

I got your PM that your vehicle is an '08 with the V6 engine. The closest wiring diagram I have available online is for an '02.5, but hopefully it's close enough:

http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.co...ec%20Guide.pdf

Scroll down to page 63 of the PDF to see the J-gate assembly.

The two pinpoint tests posted by Graham should be very helpful. Reference the wiring diagram above as you go. I did notice one minor issue. On the J-gate test, step A2 (Ground supply to the J-gate), it gives a 5.0 ohm limit for resistance to ground from the J-gate connector. I think the resistance should be much less, preferrably less than 0.5 ohms.

Details of the lighting can be seen on page 89 of the PDF. One thing that bothers me about Jag wiring diagrams is they don't show all of the wires at any given component. Note that ground CA141 is shown on both diagrams, but you'd have no way to know it is connected to more than one system.

I'm still willing to bet large sums of your money on a problem with that ground CA141 under the LH front seat. If it has a bad connection, it would disable both the interlock solenoid (powered via pin 1 at J-gate connector CA245) and the internal lighting (powered via pin 3 at J-gate connector CA245). If there was a problem with either power supply (or associated wiring), you'd lose one feature or the other, but not both like you have.

The other option that could take out both is a bad J-gate assembly, specifically the circuit board in it. Hopefully that's not it, as that could be spendy. As Graham said, it would be nice to have a known good spare for swapping. Still, I'd double and triple check that ground CA141 first.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member

More recent ones on Gus's site JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource I think.

Gus (02-11-2014)
Old 02-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I have them up to 2006

Old 02-16-2014, 04:46 PM

still having the issues, it goes back and forth...I haven't had time to trace the issue..been busy at work and Valentines day. It a weird issue, wish it was as easy as bolts being loose

Old 02-16-2014, 04:51 PM

I do have a volt tester, That what I will start tracing with...time to wrap my brain on this...I did change out the power steering and flushed it....will do the rear end tomorrow. Transmission parts will be here at the end of the week. Thanks for everyones help...keep you posted of what I can find.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:22 PM

Well the shifter is out, some small electrical component is out inside they assembly, I am out 1 grand to fix it with diagnosis, labor and part

Old 02-27-2014, 05:41 PM
Default Circuit board

This is what caused all my issues, the circuit board in the picture.

Attached Thumbnails Need help-image.jpg  
Old 02-27-2014, 05:42 PM

The Jaguar is fixed!