S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Info on the S Type

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Info on the S Type

I have a friend who has fallen in love with the white S type. I'm not familair with these, other than I know I don't care for the looks of front end. But she really likes it.

What are the S type's common problems? Is there a particular year that is most reliable?

Thanks, guys and gals!

Old 09-30-2010, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

If possible go for later model "S"'s (2003 on). The 3.0 5 speed automatic V-6's are spirited (235 hp @ 240 lb/ft trq.) and move her weight ok. If yas into V8's then go for the 4.2's (300 hp @ 310 lb/ft trq., 5 speed automatic for naturally aspirated, and 400 hp @ 410 lb/ft trq. supercharged (S-Type R), 6 speed ZF trans., not the 4.0's (engine durability issues). Alot of people love the "S"'s retro-styling while some don't. Regardless, she'll look timeless and will interest the owner and lookers forever...

Old 09-30-2010, 06:24 PM

Ok. Thanks! I looked at the S Type FAQs. I've seen some fairly new ones in dealership ads that have pretty low mileage and the prices aren't bad.

I'll let her know. Thanks again.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,938 Likes on 8,421 Posts

If she can stretch her budget a bit, have her look for an '06 or newer "Select Edition". That gives her Jaguars 100,000 mile or 6 year factory warranty (based on initial registration date.) It's called piece of mind if it needs any repairs.
However, there are after market extended warranties available if she decides on one that isn't a Select Edition.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jayt2
If she can stretch her budget a bit, have her look for an '06 or newer "Select Edition". That gives her Jaguars 100,000 mile or 6 year factory warranty (based on initial registration date.) It's called piece of mind if it needs any repairs.
However, there are after market extended warranties available if she decides on one that isn't a Select Edition.
Thank you! That's very good to know.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:07 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
If possible go for later model "S"'s (2003 on). The 3.0 5 speed automatic V-6's are spirited (235 hp @ 240 lb/ft trq.) and move her weight ok. If yas into V8's then go for the 4.2's (300 hp @ 310 lb/ft trq., 5 speed automatic for naturally aspirated, and 400 hp @ 410 lb/ft trq. supercharged (S-Type R), 6 speed ZF trans., not the 4.0's (engine durability issues). Alot of people love the "S"'s retro-styling while some don't. Regardless, she'll look timeless and will interest the owner and lookers forever...
First off; not to be mean but need to correct this one. All 2003 and up S Types have the 6 speed ZF HP26 trans, not just the R.

Historically here is the information....

The S Type was a co-engineered project done with Ford. A lot of money was spent on developing a well balanced platform that could compete in the mid-sized premium market. The platform was used for the Lincoln LS, Jaguar S Type, and Ford "retro" Thunderbird. Parts of it were also used to underpin the 05 and up Mustang. Also, since the unibody was so good, it was modified slightly and reskinned to become the XF.

2000 - 2002 Called the first generation cars. These had the 3.0 Ford v6 and the 4.0 Jaguar v8. They all used a Ford 5 speed trans and for some critics way too much Ford sourced dash electronics. These cars are the most closely related to their Ford cousins. They had some early quality issues but are a little less costly in some areas to repair due to the shared Ford components.

2003 - 2004 Called the "refresh" years. Ford and Jaguar addressed the shortcomings of the early cars with a major rework of the unibody structure. Also, Jaguar was allowed to differentiate it's product more from Ford and preceded to make it's own changes to the suspension and other things. Also, with the recent introduction of the X Type and a new XJ around the corner they were able to replace the Ford sourced electronics with cross model shared components. Hence, the dash and console changes that make the X, S, and XJ all have the same dash appearance. At the same time Jaguar was finishing the revised V8 for the new XJ due in 2004. So, the 03 S and XK8 were the first cars to get the revised 4.2 V8. All S versions got the new 6 speed ZF trans and they also introduced the revised supercharged 4.2 from the XKR into the line and created the S Type R.

2005 - 2008 Some times called the second generation. The S was externally refreshed for 2005. Because of the revised body panels many think there were more changes than there actually were. There were some further revisions to suspension bushings and such but that was it. The major change came in the alteration of the exterior sheet metal. While they retain the look, many of the parts were revised. The new parts include the front nose and grill, hood, rear quarters, tail lamps, rear bumper and trunk lid. These changes were done in an attempt to keep the car fresh. In 2006 there was a change in the motor tuning for the R and some changes in the brake suppliers for all models. The standard front brakes were changed to single piston calipers and the R lost the Brembo sourced brakes.

All in all, I would be fine with any of the models. I happen to like the newer style dash in the 03 and up cars. The early cars are quite a bargain but better suited to an enthusiast who is prepared to do the service themselves. The best route is like another user stated. Go to a dealer and purchase a Select Edition certified car. That is what I purchased. I ended up spending a bit more than others on my car but have had nothing but great experience with getting things repaired (other than the body work, but that isn't the cars fault, I just won't let it go). Be sure to go to a dealer with any prospect and ask the service department for a service history on the car. Most dealers will help you out there. Personally the 03 and up V8 cars are the way to go. The V8 works a lot less to move the car down the road and returns equivalent gas mileage when driven moderately enthusiastically. I've driven both and if I had it to do all over again I would get the V8 this time around. That said, have her drive both and keep us posted.....

Old 10-01-2010, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Awesome write-up on the S-Type JOsworth.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, very interesting reading. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

That's a good resource for buyers
Thanks JosWorth