S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need to lose some weight

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I like the weight. Only had the car a week, but one of the things I first noticed is how much heavier it feels to drive (think solid, firm steering, quiet, and steady) compared to my Lincoln LS which also has the V8.

I suppose one could say they didn't think about mileage when they bought it, but now that gas is above $4 and going to $5, they are thinking differently. If that is the case, increasing tire air pressure is the most significant modification you can make. And, there is a cost to that, being increased suspension wear.

Here is my solution, don't just think of the car as transportation, it is also entertainment. Each time I Xcellr8 from a green light, I give the car a workout to 5 over the legal limit. It feels great and is worth every mpg I give up doing it. Actually, I just wish I could floor it more often. Even more entertainment! Thats what I'm talking about!

Old 05-07-2011, 05:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

A healthy, proper and of course the only correct attitude.

Still, we do like to bitch ...

Originally Posted by Xcellr8
I like the weight. Only had the car a week, but one of the things I first noticed is how much heavier it feels to drive (think solid, firm steering, quiet, and steady) compared to my Lincoln LS which also has the V8.

I suppose one could say they didn't think about mileage when they bought it, but now that gas is above $4 and going to $5, they are thinking differently. If that is the case, increasing tire air pressure is the most significant modification you can make. And, there is a cost to that, being increased suspension wear.

Here is my solution, don't just think of the car as transportation, it is also entertainment. Each time I Xcellr8 from a green light, I give the car a workout to 5 over the legal limit. It feels great and is worth every mpg I give up doing it. Actually, I just wish I could floor it more often. Even more entertainment! Thats what I'm talking about!

Old 05-07-2011, 01:39 PM
VMV
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi Sedakai, I'm the guy with the 36 mpg S-type. I have a lifetime average of 28mpg with 90k miles on my 2000 3L Stype. If you are interested in increasing your fuel economy I'm happy to offer some suggestions.
1. reducing weight beyond removing unneeded items/baggage offers small returns for the cost, inconvenience and reduced comfort as noted by SchultzLD
2. keep your tires inflated to higher recommended pressures to reduce rolling resistance, drawbacks are a somewhat harder ride.
3. Keeping all windows closed is optimal, I cycle the AC on and off during hot weather.
4. Keep your well-maintained paying particular attention to wheel bearing/brake drag, air filter, sparkplugs and wheel alignment.
5. More than anything else, smooth efficient driving delivers the biggest increases in fuel economy: use moderate acceleration, reach your target speed and then use miniminum throttle to maintain your speed, maintain momentum, avoid unneeded stops, minimize cold starts through trip planning/consolidation, avoid excessive idling, etc. Lots of great info on fuel economy websites such as GasSavers.org - Fuel Efficiency, Save Gas and Gas Mileage Forum, Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com and Fuel Economy
Your mileage may vary
best wishes , VMV