S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need more power

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need more power

so i have a 2005 str and already added new ecu, mina intake, mina exhaust, x-pipe, and pulley kit. ive even thrown on some electric exhaust cut-outs for lack of something better to do..... I've been looking for other things i could do to up the horse power and i really dont feel like sending off my supercharger to get ported. any suggestions, websites, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:57 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

PORTING THE SC ACTUALLY SHOWED TO DROP HP ACCORDING TO KENNE BELL WEBSITE AND DYNO'S. IDE DO A KILLER CHILLER AND OR A 50 SHOT
Killer Chiller the Active Intercooler solution for OEM and after maket intercooler systems.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does killer chiller make a system for jags? i only see mustangs and lightnings.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...59/#post243827
The kit for S-Type & X350 XJR is getting close now (i heard)

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-charts-70750/
The intake elbow is in addition to the cone filter you have.

EDIT I see that Qwiketz still has some available.

Last edited by Cambo; 07-30-2012 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Spoke too soon...
Old 07-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,937 Posts

You could make your own killer chiller. It's the concept that counts, you don't need to buy that specific brand. There's a good thread about upping power with suggestions about getting the charge air to be cooler. Someone please post a link

Old 07-30-2012, 11:53 AM

And if andre(avos) does finish it that would be a number 1 recommendation by far.
but for now.......and you could still retain and use the aforementioned items

Old 07-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

You'd have to adapt the killer chiller to work which can be done. There will be minor variations from the cobras kits but the concepts are the same.

Personally, I'd do a 50 shot before screwing with the blower.

I do have 2 elbows left by the way and then they're done.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:14 PM

Ooops, sorry, as always I spoke too soon. Thanks Russ.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:24 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Kyle - Sounds like you're running out of bolt-on's to do.

Can you expand on what you mean by "new ecu"? Where/who did you get this from, and what was done?

Have you dyno'd your STR yet? Maybe it's time to schedule a dyno session and see where you stand power-wise. That way any further mods you do, you can judge their effectiveness better and in turn better educate the community on how much room you have to grow.

Consider getting rid of the Mina intake in favor of something like the Qwiketz intake elbow that Cambo35 posted about. I think you would be better off retaining the stock airbox with panel filter, just do the intake elbow.

Consider going with a progressive water-methanol injection kit. These guys made a good one and offer GREAT customer service and support. Run 100% methanol and you think you would enjoy similar gains offered by a "killer chiller" kit, at a lower cost, and simpler installation.
http://alkycontrol.com/

I would not consider a nitrous oxide kit, even with traction control disabled, I would be concerned about the ECU playing with throttle, timing or anything else that could result in engine damage. If you did go nitrous, it's use would have to be very carefully administered. The risk and hassle of nitrous would far outweigh its gain's in my opinion, but you're free to consider it.

Quite simply, the factory blower can only push so much air. More power means you need to flow more air, which just isn't possible at some point. You can make improvements to efficiency, which will result in either minor power gains or more consistent performance.

Otherwise, I think the next 50 to 100hp you're chasing just wont happen without a blower upgrade.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

I have to second the idea of getting the car on a dyno or doing some 1/4 mile runs. If you read you will find several people who have added what they thought were power adders but they did not really do anything and possibly lost a bit of power when actually measured.

It's tough doing any mods to an STR!!

Old 07-30-2012, 01:47 PM

A 50 shot is nothing on this car and has a stout rotating assembly already for sc use. 1000's of cars with stock engine and less strength use nitrous without issue. Up to 100hp is always considered the system to use on a stock built engine straight from the factory. In addition the cooling effect from nitrous turning from a liquid to gas also boost power for the same reason a killer chiller and meth injection work.
you can only spend more money from here

Old 07-30-2012, 02:29 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Brutal, I agree with you, the motor itself can handle a good sized shot, and the cooling effect would be great too.

The problem comes in when the ECU through traction control or other means, shuts the throttle or does something funny with the timing. I would tread really carefully with a nitrous application on an STR. Something as simple as a sticky solenoid can lead to disaster... just too much risk and hassle on a very expensive motor/platform just for that occasional spray in my opinion.

You would need a very sophisticated controller to do it right imo. The usual $800 wet kit from NOS need not apply.

Last edited by GT42R; 07-30-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

As previously discussed, dyno, track times, and pics and vids before you do anything else. Meth seems like the next logical step.

Last edited by rasputin; 07-30-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by GT42R
Brutal, I agree with you, the motor itself can handle a good sized shot, and the cooling effect would be great too.

The problem comes in when the ECU through traction control or other means, shuts the throttle or does something funny with the timing. I would tread really carefully with a nitrous application on an STR. Something as simple as a sticky solenoid can lead to disaster... just too much risk and hassle on a very expensive motor/platform just for that occasional spray in my opinion.

You would need a very sophisticated controller to do it right imo. The usual $800 wet kit from NOS need not apply.
ILL TRY NOT TO POST MY ANSWER IN YOUR POST IN BIG RED LETTERS HAS ALREADY GOTTEN ME IN TROUBLE ONCE TODAY...LOL
I DONT KNOW THAT I WOULD HIT IT IN FIRST WHEN TRACTION IS ALREADY LIMITED, HIGHER GEARS YEAH. OR LIKE YOU SAID USE A NITROUS CONTROLLER THAT YOU CAN RAMP SPEED AND % TO FULL HIT. I USE THIS ON THE RACE CAR AND WORKS GREAT. I ALSO HAVE THE SYSTEM ON MY SUBURBAN RUN THROUGH THE ACCEL ECU AT IT CONTROLS TIME AND TRIGGER FROM TPS SIGNAL. (I RUN A 300HP FOGGER PLUMBED INTO A 383 STROKER MOTOR IN A 87 SUBURBAN WHY DO YOU THINK THEY CALL ME BRUTAL!!!)
BESIDES MY EXPERIANCE WITH EATONS IS THEY TEND TO DROP OFF ON POWER ON THE TOP RPM RANGE AND THAT WOULD BE A GREAT AREA TO COVER

Old 07-30-2012, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Today I spoke with Kincaid Cooling, manufacturers of "The Killer Chiller". The STR uses the same KC kit as the MB E55 Kompressor. They strongly suggest to delete the stock heat exchanger (intercooler radiator). They're running a sale in August. $650 for the KC. He said the KC dramatically chills the intercooler circuit and is good for decently long wide open throttle -top end charges. Cruising at 55 mph for a short period of time is ample enough for the KC to cool down the IC circuit if wishing top end charge again.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Water or 50/50 water methanol mix injection. Very popular with other boosted apps that have a crappy stock intercooler that's hard to change out.

Intercooler sprayer set to spray on factory heat exchanger or upgrade

Separate intercooler fluid circuit with bigger pump, heat exchanger, and tank

Extrude hone on factory exhaust manifold or custom one off headers

Extrude hone sections of factory intake manifold and supercharger assy.

Thermal management by means of coatings that insulate

Old 07-30-2012, 11:12 PM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Who is going to be the first one to get the killer chiller installed??? Would love to see results before taking that big step.

The following users liked this post:
bfsgross (07-31-2012)
Old 07-31-2012, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Today I spoke with Kincaid Cooling, manufacturers of "The Killer Chiller". The STR uses the same KC kit as the MB E55 Kompressor. They strongly suggest to delete the stock heat exchanger (intercooler radiator). They're running a sale in August. $650 for the KC. He said the KC dramatically chills the intercooler circuit and is good for decently long wide open throttle -top end charges. Cruising at 55 mph for a short period of time is ample enough for the KC to cool down the IC circuit if wishing top end charge again.
Um...i don't think it's a great idea to delete the intercooler radiator...

What happens when you turn the aircon off? Or what if you have a leak in the system & lose all the refigerant? No cooling!

Sounds interesting & for that price i'm tempted, but there is no way i'd delete the radiator.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Cambo, Kincaid Cooling suggested removing the stock heat exchanger as a means to allow the KC to more efficiently cool the circuit. You may retain the exchanger as a means to shut down the a/c. This's what I intend to do.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:34 AM
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

The A/C system on these cars is designed to be on all the time, just leave your car in auto & set the temp you desire. I have had a Killer Chiller fitted for almost 3 years with no problems. It is amazing to watch the coolant temp come right back down after a good run. When I am cruising along the discharge temp of the coolant from the coolers is right around ambient. If you are going to install the kit do it the way they recommend so that it will work as designed.

Quick Reply: need more power