S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new AC compressor... can't afford Jaguar part.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 01:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need new AC compressor... can't afford Jaguar part.

Jaguar wants lots of money for their ac compressors and can't afford them due to a recent layoff from work. I see compressors at every auto-zone type of store, but I hear the parts are poorly made.
What would be a good brand to purchase that has been proven to hold up well and save me some money at the same time?

2005 Jag S-type 3.0

Last edited by BKSinAZ; 06-30-2013 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 06-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an 06 3.0 ..mine went ..bought a four seasons one for $ 400...works awesome

Old 06-30-2013, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sixx Dogg
I have an 06 3.0 ..mine went ..bought a four seasons one for $ 400...works awesome

Thank you for your response. How long has the four seasons been running in your car?

Old 06-30-2013, 08:01 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Check RockAuto Parts Catalog and use the Forum discount for 5% off the posted price. Four Seasons makes good quality HVAC parts.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (08-02-2014)
Old 06-30-2013, 10:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

No probs...!! About a month..1 year warranty

Old 07-01-2013, 08:05 AM
Received 8,132 Likes on 4,907 Posts

Many large cities have a rebuilder company. Fort Worth TX has a company called Yellow Rose Dist.

They rebuild Import compressors and the price is usually around $200 exchange.

I have been a customer since the 1990s and have had good service (they rebuild my Jaguar and VW customer compressors).

I'm sure there are dozens of rebuilders so do a search in your area.

bob gauff

Jumpin' Jag Flash (08-02-2014)
Old 07-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

new 4 seasons $273 free shipping
05 2005 Jaguar S Type A/C Compressor - Climate Control - Action Crash, Four Seasons, UAC - PartsGeek
I know RA may be a sponsor but I never buy from them anymore, few Jag parts and higher prices. partsgeek has aftermarket to OEM take your pick

Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-01-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by BKSinAZ
Jaguar wants lots of money for their ac compressors and can't afford them due to a recent layoff from work. I see compressors at every auto-zone type of store, but I hear the parts are poorly made.
What would be a good brand to purchase that has been proven to hold up well and save me some money at the same time?

2005 Jag S-type 3.0
Are you SURE you need a new compressor?? There is a possibility of fixing it if you have a poor cooling situation, especially at slow speeds.

See attached.

Cheers,

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
JTB00183NAS1.pdf (142.3 KB, 323 views)
BKSinAZ (07-01-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 11:53 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Used Auto Parts | Used Car Parts | Auto Salvage

Some salvage yard a/c compressors from $73 bucks upwards - when you're laid off every penny counts

Old 07-01-2013, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

+1 to Bob's recommendation of Yellow Rose. I bought one from them last summer for the 05 after he referred me to them. Last time I looked, S-Type wasn't listed on his online catalogue, but he had several rebuilt and ready to go. Pretty much local to me, so maybe if you had to pay shipping of the rebuilt and the core, it may add up pretty quickly.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

I would not put a used A/C compressor in. Just too much risk. A/C systems are fairly trouble free but as soon as it starts to act up people want to put all kinds of crap in them!! Like super cooling refrigerants, stop leaks and dyes. After many long years I don't work on any A/C system that has been fooled with.

You just end up causing more damage and polluting the rest of the system. Get a new or rebuilt compressor.

Consider the Lincoln LS version. I got a brand new Chinese made compressor and dryer and expansion valve with no core charge for about $210 shipped to my door from EBay.

Have been running it about 5K miles with no problems.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Are you SURE you need a new compressor?? There is a possibility of fixing it if you have a poor cooling situation, especially at slow speeds.

See attached.

Cheers,
Actually I am not sure it is the compressor..... Guy at break masters told me it is the compressor. I think he stated the seals were leaking. However, I bought a can of that ac fix leak called A/C Pro from auto zone and upon putting it on the low side, the presure gauge showed I was over presurized. (ac was turned on high and temp was set to coldest. Compressor seemed to be spinning)
**If I have a bad seal, how can I be over presurized?

Symptoms:
During the evenings the ac gets cool, much cooler then the ambient temperature outside....but not cold.
During the day, if I do not have stop and go traffic, it cools down "some"; but gets really hot once I stop for red lights. Blower seems to be blowing air but gets down right hot during daytime driving if I have to stop and go. If the car has been parked in the hot sun (tucson, az.) the ac will blow hot air until I get away from the stop and go traffic.

Last edited by BKSinAZ; 07-01-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:09 PM

Actually I am not sure it is the compressor..... Guy at break masters told me it is the compressor. I think he stated the seals were leaking. However, I bought a can of that ac fix leak called A/C Pro from auto zone and upon putting it on the low side, the presure gauge showed I was over presurized. (ac was turned on high and temp was set to coldest. Compressor seemed to be spinning)
**If I have a bad seal, how can I be over presurized?

Symptoms:
During the evenings the ac gets cool, much cooler then the ambient temperature outside....but not cold.
During the day, it cools down "some" but gets really hot once I stop for red lights. Blowe seems to be blowing air.
You need someone competent to assess the system. If the compressor doesn't seem to be pulling the low side down properly, you are probably a candidate for a repair per the bulletin I posted. Certainly worth a try. If the compressor has a substantial case leak, that may be another matter. Your symptoms though, make me think a repair attempt is definitely in order.

Cheers,

Old 07-01-2013, 06:31 PM

You need someone competent to assess the system. If the compressor doesn't seem to be pulling the low side down properly, you are probably a candidate for a repair per the bulletin I posted. Certainly worth a try. If the compressor has a substantial case leak, that may be another matter. Your symptoms though, make me think a repair attempt is definitely in order.

Cheers,
I did have someone competent to assess the system, the problem is that they seemed to be vague and untrustworthy. During this last winter, I was told my compressor had a bad seal and is leaking. Two days ago I bought a can of A/C Pro and it showed my system over presurized. Makes no sense to me how I can have a leak for several months and still be over presurized as of two days ago.

Anyhow, I've worked on cars for years, everything but AC units. Between the document you attached, this wonderful jag forum, and some youtube videos I think I can do it myself.

I do have a couple of questions about the the document you provided.... have you done this operation before? If so, would it be possible for me to call you to ask the questions... or I can provide a # for you to call me?

Last edited by BKSinAZ; 07-01-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:40 PM

First, I think you ought to look over this other thread on the subject. I think it will answer most of your questions.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...problem-53501/

Even has some pics to help illustrate.

Good luck!

BKSinAZ (07-01-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 08:05 PM

First, I think you ought to look over this other thread on the subject. I think it will answer most of your questions.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...problem-53501/

Even has some pics to help illustrate.

Good luck!
You were correct... the link w/pictures answered all my questions but 2.

1) Where is the exact location of the compressor oring seal and where can I buy a new one?

2) According to the directions, it states to raise the car. Is this step really needed as it appears all work is done from top of car? (not counting low side access)

Old 07-01-2013, 09:53 PM

You were correct... the link w/pictures answered all my questions but 2.

1) Where is the exact location of the compressor oring seal and where can I buy a new one?

2) According to the directions, it states to raise the car. Is this step really needed as it appears all work is done from top of car? (not counting low side access)
The seal is under that plate that you remove to reverse the valve & spring.

Yes, the car needs to be raised, the compressor is on the bottom. On the S-Type a little contorting is involved to get at the plate; plus some long extensions and usually a 10mm flex socket.

Happy contorting!

Norri (07-02-2013)
Old 07-02-2013, 07:23 AM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

Steve is right, there is no way to do this from the top, and will need some patience from below.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

You need to get under your car and look.
Do you have yellow/greenish stains on the compressor?

Do not put any stop leak or dye crap in the system. It just causes problems later.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

The green oil that runs through the system is florescent dye for leak detection. Some oil is fine, more is not. But i like to charge the system by weight. And work with the customer when finances are tight to monitor the severity of the leak. You can have oil weapage without any significant loss of freon.
I have done the modification without a new oring when they were unavail and no issues with leakage. That would leave you evac. The system of freon, doing the mod and then recharging for your total expense.

Quick Reply: Need new AC compressor... can't afford Jaguar part.