S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need price help on the dreaded coolant hose under S/C repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need price help on the dreaded coolant hose under S/C repair

My 2003 STR got apparently bit by the dreadful coolant hose leak under the supercharger, where the engine needs to be removed to remove the S/C and replace the hose plus valves plus other bits. Seems like a common issue with the STRs.

Thanks to ttwotees wonderfull write-up of a similar issue on his, it looks like it should take about 4-5 hrs of disassemble and another 4-5 hrs to replace the parts and reassemble. Total about 8-10hrs and the cost of the parts should be around $400-$800 depending on the condition of the various parts. So even with the Jag dealer inflated prices it should be about $2,000 - $2,500 in labor and parts.

I live in MA and there are three Jag dealers. The one that I used in the past for maintenance and small repairs is Woburn Jaguar. They are expensive to say the least.

They were OK so far, but this time around I had the displeasure of dealing with the service manager, John, directly; a pompous, arrogant little man. On top of that they want $6,500 to do it!!!

I am checking with Wellesley Jaguar next, cause there is no way I will let that terrible dealer do any work on the car.

Does anyone have any experience with the Wellesley or Norwood Jag dealer? Even better any recommedations for an independant shop in MA that knows Jags well?

I am incredibly impressed with the amount of knowledge and expertise in the forums. I am just a novice in the art and science of Jags, so it feels like I am drinking from a firehose

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Synchro, relax. Forget about Jaguar. As you're aware, they're crooks. If you have her under a warranty then go Jaguar and let them try to rip-off the warranty company. The good news is it'll take a good foriegn car mechanic approx. 6 clock hours (approx. $500+) to remove the supercharger, replace hose, then reassemble. Use this forums "Search Forum" feature for threads germane to "Replacing throttle body (TB) coolant return hose". Print the thread that gives detail disassemble/assemble instructions and give it to the foriegn car mechanic you choose to repair your cat. All will be well.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:34 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I am getting ready to do this myself with the N/A version. Is it really that hard to do with the super charger? Before I would pay anywhere neafr that kind of money I would buy a set of tools and go at it.

I fiqure with the N/A version it's only a couple hr. job.. I may be wrong though.

May I ask why on the R model would the engine need removed as the OP stated?

Old 06-12-2011, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

achysklic hit the nail on the head. The engine absolutely "does not" have to be removed. If the OP is accurate as to Jag's contention on this issue, then he bumped into crooks. There are plenty of threads here on the under s/c coolant hose. An over simplified explanation for s/c models: The coolant expansion reservoir is placed to the side, coolant hoses unhooked, serpentine belt removed, charge coolers unbolted from s/c horns, s/c unbolted and removed, hose replaced, reverse. There are threads going into detail with pics on this repair. This process is way, way, way easier on n/a models. I too...will have this repair performed soon.

Last edited by bfsgross; 06-12-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:01 PM

I was skeptical of their claim to remove the engine, even before I searched in the forum and found the extremely useful blow-by-blow instructions by ttwotees, jagv8 and of course Brutal, which seems he should be working in Coventry

I guess they needed an excuse to jack up the hours to make their extortion number of $6,500. When I pressed them on it, their excuse and I quote: "that engine is like a square peg on a round whole in the Type R. There is no room left and the hoses go everywhere underneath the engine.". I have never worked on a Jag before, so it's tough to call them on their lies.

As many have said, Jaguars are back , unfortunately their dealers are still stuck in the past. It's the same BS from the days of old.

BTW does anyone know a good foreign car shop in MA that they can recommend? Armed with the pics and PDFs from the forum writeup I should be able to have them do it a reasonable price. Unfortunately I do not have the facilities to attempt it on my own (city life).

Old 06-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Old 06-13-2011, 04:39 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I found the write up on the SC version of the hose repair. Is there a write-up of the N/A version? I hope so but I haven't been able to find it.