Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice on brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Need some advice on brakes!

Need some advice on brakes!

Time is near to put on new brakes. I'm in a quandry over what to buy. Do I go with standard OEM parts or something else? I'm thinking of dimpled, slotted rotors for the looks. I really don't think I need more performance as the OEM ones served me well.

Here are some options:

OEM Rotors and pads = $578

EBC = $519
Rotors 3g dimpled and slotted
EBC Redstuff pads

Brake Performance = $458
Premium dimpled & slotted, silver rotors
Ceramic pads

Other options? Is Brake Performance good? Any suggestions advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Whatever you decide on the rotors, I would definetly go with ceramic pads for the brake dust issues. Unless of course you do not mind dirty wheels.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

I would go with the Brake Performance package. I personally used Centric's performance semi pads and have very little dust despite my S being used as the daily commuter. I'm not a big fan of ceramics. Then again, I am a "very enthusiastic" driver. Ceramics should be fine for your use.

As far as the vendor goes, I'm not sure. Post a link to what your looking at. I'm sure if anyone has had experience with them, they will chime in.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:23 PM

The Brake Performance website is: http://brakeperformance.com/site/index.php

Old 11-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Received 2,259 Likes on 1,843 Posts

Why do you want/need new rotors?

Old 11-15-2009, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,349 Likes on 2,846 Posts

I put a set of Wagner ThermoQuiet semi-metallic pads on our S-Type's front axle back in July. Got them at Advance Auto Parts for less than $60. Our front rotors were fine so I didn't turn them. The brakes are now dead-silent and the car stops on a dime. Brake dust is about a quarter of what it was with the OEM pads....

I rotated the tires last Sunday after doing an oil & filter change. Took a close look at the brake components on all four corners. Front pads still look new as expected. The surprise was how good the factory rear pads still look. Many S-Type owners report wearing out their rear pads first. Ours appear to have about 50% of the pad surface left at just over 36,000 miles on the car. My wife does a lot of highway driving which is probably a big contributing factor for that....

Old 11-15-2009, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Jon89 you have the V-6 so I would not expect as much rear brake wear. If you have a V-8 or STR the high torque of the engine causes the traction control to kick in much more than you think. You won't even notice but any bit of wetness on the road will trigger it for just a split second.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:42 PM

Done a bit more research and here are some options I've come up with. Undoubtedly tere are many more options out there. Note, all US vendors and USD currency

Rotors for 300mm + pads

Base Line is Jaguar OEM:

Vendor: JPAMPROSCHEJAGUARPARTS
Front rotors $187.50
Rear rotors $174.38
Front Pads $121.13
rear Pads $96.94
Total: $579.95

Vendor: Autoparts Warehouse
Akebono Front Brake Pad Set Euro - Ceramic $109.24
Akebono Rear Brake Pad Set Euro - Ceramic $84.95
EBC Front Brake Disc 3GD Sport - Dimpled and slotted $198.41
EBC Rear Brake Disc 3GD Sport - Dimpled and slotted $158.51
Total: $551.11

Vendor: Brake World
Brembo Sport Rotors (Style: Drilled & Slotted) Front $252.00
Brembo Sport Rotors (Style: Drilled & Slotted) Rear $252.00
Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic Front $88.00
Disc Italia Hyper Ceramic Rear $85.00
Total $677.00

Vendor: Brake Performance
PREMIUM DIMPLED & SLOTTED (SILVER) Front $187.56
PREMIUM DIMPLED & SLOTTED (SILVER) Rear $167.57
ceramic pads (semi metal free, upgrade to ceramic $20.00
Total: $375.13

Vendor: Auto Anything
EBC redstuff front pads $86.56
EBC redstuff rear $86.56
EBC Sport Rotors front $198.41
EBC Sport Rotors rear $158.51
total: $530.04

Clearly, the Brake Performance vendor is the cheapest, but does that mean lowest quality?
The Brembo has great reputation but are by far the most expensive.

I'm leaning towards the Akebono pads and the EBC rotors or the EBC rotors and the EBC redstuff pads; however, the Brake Performance site keeps calling to my miserly self!

Any opinions, thoughts, suggestions, warnings, other sites/ brands you recommend?

Last edited by reddrawf; 11-15-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed Monroe ceramic pads and aftermaket rotors with the latest brake job. The pads came with shims, clips, and lubricant and I am very pleased with the performance and low dust level. IMO OE pads are spongey and dusty compared with the ceramics. I have not noticed any difference between OE and the various brands of rotors I have used. I do recommend new rotors with new pads.

I used EBC rotors and pads on my Infiniti once. I liked the pads alright but one of the rotors warped. Seems the price/value relationship is not so strong in rotors. One thing about cheap rotors is they seem to rust more but the difference is not worth the cost to me.

Last edited by Smeghead; 11-20-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Smeghead
I installed Monroe ceramic pads and aftermaket rotors with the latest brake job. The pads came with shims, clips, and lubricant and I am very pleased with the performance and low dust level. IMO OE pads are spongey and dusty compared with the ceramics. I have not noticed any difference between OE and the various brands of rotors I have used. I do recommend new rotors with new pads.

I used EBC rotors and pads on my Infiniti once. I liked the pads alright but one of the rotors warped. Seems the price/value relationship is not so strong in rotors. One thing about cheap rotors is they seem to rust more but the difference is not worth the cost to me.
Thanks for the input. I still have not made an order.

By your name I'm guessing you are Red Dwarf fan too!

Old 11-20-2009, 11:37 PM
Received 6,304 Likes on 5,492 Posts

Originally Posted by Smeghead

I'd be interested to know why you would change the rotors unless they were worn below tolerance.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by norri
I'd be interested to know why you would change the rotors unless they were worn below tolerance.
Yeah. My theory is to replace rotors after 2 pad replacements or at 90,000 miles.

I plan on replacing my pads at 60,000 miles. I will likely go with ceramic pads due to brake dust issues.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

I've purchased rotors from brakeperformance, however, they were for my old jeep. Great rotors as far as I'm concerned. others have bought from them w/o any problem. I'd give'em a shot, and get the semi-metallics for free.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:36 PM

Thanks for all the comments!

I went for the Brakeperformance site. Dimpled and slotted rotors and the $20 upgrade to ceramic pads. Free shipping too. I'll report back when they arrive and I get them installed.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Talking Update

Rotors and pads arrived via UPS in 3 boxes. The rotors are heavy! Attached is a picture of one of the rotors.

Next step is to get these installed! I will probably do so the week of Christmas as I'll be in town all that week. I'll post an update when they are installed. I'd like to paint the calipers too, but doubt I'll be able to do so that week. Maybe.

Attached Thumbnails Need some advice on brakes!-jag_rotor.jpg  
Old 12-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

While the rotors can usually make it through two sets of pads before reaching the wear limit, I have often experienced uneven wear or warpage while on the second set of pads. My preference is to insure the brakes will not need attention before they pads are needed again. The savings on my labor is worth the cost of rotors to me.

I only get around 40,000 on (front) pads- guess my wife brakes more aggressively than you guys. That could expalin why the rotors need replacement!

Forget if anyone has mentioned it but I suggest a tool to screw in the rear caliper pistons. Needle nosed pliers work but are a PITA.

I hope it is warm where you are red, I hate sitting on the cold concrete.

Smoke me a kipper....

Old 12-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Talking Update on Brakes!

Finally got the Jag to the Mechanic. He installed 4 rotors with pads for $300. He said he has never heard of www.brakeperformance.com but he said he was impressed with the quality of the rotors, especially for the price. He said the front pads did not exactly fit and he had to do a little grinding. The rotors look great and so far the pads seem to be working well. I have only driven a few miles to home ad then I washed the car and put some Poorboy's Wheel Sealant (http://www.poorboysworld.com/wheel-sealant.htm) on the rims to help with brake dust. I'm assuming that the first bit of use of the pads will have some dust.

Attached Thumbnails Need some advice on brakes!-dscn0009.jpg   Need some advice on brakes!-dscn0008.jpg   Need some advice on brakes!-dscn0007.jpg  
Old 12-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

Looks good, how do they feel? You'll notice a TON less dust than the stock pads.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
Looks good, how do they feel? You'll notice a TON less dust than the stock pads.
I have driven that much yet, but so far they feel better. The Jag stops more quickly. I'm getting more dust than before but I suspect that is because the pads are so new. The wheel sealant will help. Hopefully this coming weekend I can find time to clean the again and add another coat of the wheel sealant.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

red, I painted my calipers in 2 hours (30 minutes ea.) I choose to paint factory silver and black. If you use those cheap 1" foam brushes and a modelers paint brush they go really quick!!

Attached Thumbnails Need some advice on brakes!-front-caliper.jpg   Need some advice on brakes!-joyces-jag-007.jpg  

Last edited by joycesjag; 12-22-2009 at 07:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on brakes!