S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need a Tech's help? Please...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a Tech's help? Please...

I noticed that I had about six inches of water sitting in the trunk. I removed the plug and drained all the water out. Now my back up senor no longer beeps. Is that little black box located in the lower right side of the trunk, that was sitting in the water, the sensor controller? If so how much to replace it? If not where is it located? The back up sensor worked fine prior to the last rain/water found in the trunk.

It's a 2004 S-type 4.2.

Thanks for your time...

Last edited by momo; 03-17-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

This may help:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...s+system+fault

Same thing happened to me. I had my trunk re-sealed and adjusted, wasn't that expensive. A bunch of those trunk modules went crazy on me, backup sensor, cats system, and amp. They got everything back online except for the backup sensor module. They quoted me 350 to replace it, I passed. You can find them online for 100-150, that is what I will do when I get around to it. It is the black box on the bottom left when you are facing the trunk. I believe it is just a plug and play type thing.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,860 Posts

Most importantly, restore your trunk seals first so this doesn't happen again (as Bull pointed out). These S-Types are notorious for trunk leaks and with all the electronics housed there, trunk leaks can be very expensive. I had our trunk seals replaced last summer while the car was still under the factory warranty. Very glad now that I did so....

Old 03-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,949 Posts

The commonest place for a leak is the rear light cluster. Some searches will get you DIY ways to find the leak if you want to go that route.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

Park distance control sensor module is in the spare tire well, on the left hand side of the tire towards the back of the trunk.

Electronic parking brake controller, and rear electronics module are on the right side of the trunk, on a bracket behind the trunk side carpet. CD changer, Amplifier, and navigation DVD drive are on the left side of the trunk behind that "door" on the driver's side carpet. (you may not have these).

Now as far as parking distance control If it's not working, but everything else is. I would try to salvage the module. Solid state electronics are remarkably resilient.

Pull the module out of the car. Open up the casing. First, soak up any obvious water. Simple paper towels will do.

Now let it dry out for a day, sitting on towels, preferably on a heat vent in the house. Spray the board down with WD-40 lightly. Put it all back together and see what happens.

George

Old 03-18-2010, 08:23 AM

Yes the DIY includes the old lock yourself in the trunk routine. If you are really ambitious and dont want to pay the dealer to deal with it, lock yourself in the trunk with a flashlight. Get someone you trust that you know will actually open the trunk back up for you, and have them spray the trunk until you see where the leak is coming from. At that point, depending on where it is, you can use a sealant (silicone) on the seal, the original epoxy probably wore out. However, I highly suggest replacing all the seals, as Jon said, it is VERY common on these cars for the seals to fail. So you may be able to take care of this one, but could have issues down the road. There are WAY to many electrical modules back there to take a chance as you have already experienced with the parking sensor module.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bull27
Yes the DIY includes the old lock yourself in the trunk routine. If you are really ambitious and dont want to pay the dealer to deal with it, lock yourself in the trunk with a flashlight. Get someone you trust that you know will actually open the trunk back up for you, and have them spray the trunk until you see where the leak is coming from. At that point, depending on where it is, you can use a sealant (silicone) on the seal, the original epoxy probably wore out. However, I highly suggest replacing all the seals, as Jon said, it is VERY common on these cars for the seals to fail. So you may be able to take care of this one, but could have issues down the road. There are WAY to many electrical modules back there to take a chance as you have already experienced with the parking sensor module.
Don't All the S-types have fold down seats in the rear? Or was that an option. My car is straight stripped for a Jag (no homelink, no electrochromatic rear view mirror) , and it has them.

So you can lay in the trunk, and still have a way out...

George

Old 03-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,949 Posts

The STR doesn't come like that

Old 03-18-2010, 11:50 AM

Ya I was kidding, it has an emergency release lever in the trunk.

How are you going to proceed with this?

Old 03-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
The STR doesn't come like that
STR's dont have fold down seats? Really??

Old 03-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member

I've read that instead of fold-down rear seats, STRs have additional metal bracing in that area to provide more overall strength and rigidity to the upper body of the car. I expect STR owners to jump in here to confirm or deny....

Old 03-18-2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by androulakis
STR's dont have fold down seats? Really??
Nope. I don't

Old 03-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jon89
I've read that instead of fold-down rear seats, STRs have additional metal bracing in that area to provide more overall strength and rigidity to the upper body of the car. I expect STR owners to jump in here to confirm or deny....
Correct, there is only a small ski pass-through with an integrated bag to keep the interior nice and clean from whatever you stick in the pass-through

Old 03-18-2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by crt_ben
Correct, there is only a small ski pass-through with an integrated bag to keep the interior nice and clean from whatever you stick in the pass-through
Ya like skinny dead bodies, fishing poles, 2"x4"s, decorative bamboo sticks, antique Roman spears, ya know, the typical stuff you need a passthrough for.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull27
Ya like skinny dead bodies, fishing poles, 2"x4"s, decorative bamboo sticks, antique Roman spears, ya know, the typical stuff you need a passthrough for.
LOL, Bull... Somehow I bet you've transported everything on your list except one.......

Old 03-19-2010, 02:36 AM

My car sat for god only knows how long before I bought it. The trunk had (NO ****TING) gray, green, orange, and red mold thick as hair growing in it. Check your trunks.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:35 AM
ccc
Received 61 Likes on 14 Posts

The STR seat "doesn't fold down" since it has metal bracing that makes a trapzoid opening so they omitted the levers. The latches exist and the rear seat is hinged. If you take a look at the latch you can activate it and fold the seats down. The trapzoid opening should be big enough for a person to pass through.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
I had our trunk seals replaced last summer while the car was still under the factory warranty.
You said that you had the seals replaced under warranty, but do you have any idea how much this would cost otherwise?

Old 03-19-2010, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by androulakis

Pull the module out of the car. Open up the casing. First, soak up any obvious water. Simple paper towels will do.

Now let it dry out for a day, sitting on towels, preferably on a heat vent in the house. Spray the board down with WD-40 lightly. Put it all back together and see what happens.

George
I will try this thanks...

Old 03-20-2010, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member

momo,

I have no idea how much it would cost to replace the trunk seals out-of-pocket. Call your nearest dealership and ask....

Quick Reply: need a Tech's help? Please...