S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nervous about a purchase..

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013 | 01:01 PM
|
Default Nervous about a purchase..

After having such good luck with my XJ6, I'm contemplating the purchase of a 2003 S-Type R. The Car has just under 97,000 miles, and is very clean, from what I can see in the photos. However, after reading about "Lurch", Overheating, and such, I'm getting "gun shy". I'm not much of a mechanic, and am retired on a fixed income. Really can't afford any $3k or $4K fixes. I know to check for the "Lurch", and to look for the Coolant expansion tank leak. Also read about the steering squeek. The car is 300 miles away, at a used car dealer. I drive less than 1000 miles a month on average. Any advise as to wheather or not I should make the trip??.. thanks, Mike.

Old 09-01-2013 | 01:14 PM

Most posts you see on forums are about people complaining about or asking advice for a problem they have. Those without problems are usually never going to say anything or seek out advise. Every vehicle, especially used, has its problems and can be expensive to repair. If the vehicle has never had the transmission serviced (with records) then it might be worth it to look for a different one, but overall the 2003+ S-Types are typically good, reliable vehicles.

The following users liked this post:
speedwaymike (09-01-2013)
Old 09-01-2013 | 01:53 PM
Veteran Member

Isn't going from an XJ6 a heck of an upgrade in power?

Nothing wrong with that, if it's what you want, but there must be SOME risk going to a more-or-less (at the time) supercar. The header tank is cheap, why not just plan to replace it immediately. The lurch, if you have it and can't fix it with any of the cheap fixes - well, live with it. It's not bad, just annoying, from all accounts.

A 9 or 10 year old 97K mile car cannot be viewed as guaranteed trouble free and I don't care which car. I tend to say "it's cheap, I'll chance it". If that's not you... I don't know but maybe get a Toyota? A Honda?

Love my STR, don't regret getting it. But that's me.

Old 09-01-2013 | 03:04 PM
|
Default Thanks Guys!!

I was pretty sure that I would risk it. I appreciate your input, especially about the "lurch". I was under the impression that meant you were about to lose the gearbox. Going up this Friday, and will post a photo when I return. Should I have the transmission fluid changed before I drive it the 300+ miles home? If so, what should I use, and do I need additives? Also, I have had several exotic cars in the past, but that was when I was working, and could afford an expensive suprise once in a while. I tried to find records of service,(ie Transmission), using the vin # but could not find anything. Thanks again, Mike.

Last edited by speedwaymike; 09-01-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-01-2013 | 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

I'd change it after I got it home. In case there's some hiccup in the change it's a lot easier to be where it was done. It's a fiddly process needing to be done right so figure out who's going to do it.

Be very careful with your right foot - they go very fast very soon and fines are a risk!!

The following 2 users liked this post by JagV8:
Loved the girl (11-18-2018), speedwaymike (09-01-2013)
Old 09-01-2013 | 03:35 PM

Hi Mike,

Like you, I'm retired, and decided to go for it and get an STR. That was nearly 2 years ago and, in spite of a few not-so-pleasant surprises, I just love the car.

Spent months looking at STR's for sale, and put emphasis on cars with:
.. 1 owner
.. Accident-free
.. Immaculate interior
.. Immaculate or near-immaculate exterior
.. Full service/repair history
.. Less than 12000 miles per year
.. Premium gas and high-quality oil
.. No trackside racing, no performance mods
.. Price within 10-15% of black book (trade-in) value.

I know that not everyone agrees with the above (I myself have added a few mods!), but such cars do exist.

Did a lot of reading on this forum before my '05 STR arrived with 53k miles (see garage), and budgeted for preventive maintenance. In particular:
.. Tranny fluid/filter/sleeve change
.. Brake fluid change
.. Wheel alignment to Brutal's specs
.. Check bolts on tranny linkage
.. Instal solid lug nuts
.. Fuel filter change
.. Fuel injectors serviced
.. Replace thermostat and thermostat housing
.. Lubricate parking brake mechanism
.. New Battery
.. Check coils and instal new Iridium spark plugs
.. Upper coolant hoses
.. New DCCV
.. Clear moonroof channels
.. Clean filter on windscreen washers & replace blades
.. Lubricate fuel filler cap linkage

Since then, the only bad news has been a limp-home mode caused by rain getting thru to the TPS sensor, a fuel-rail damper cup leak and 2 faulty climate actuator doors. Oh yes, forgot, supercharger coolant pump!

So, you would do well to set aside a few extra bucks, or at least check some of the above out with the vendor.

Last edited by Robinb; 09-01-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-01-2013 | 03:40 PM
Veteran Member

On the lurch. Seems to me the guy who set up the excellent web site had bought a new, expensive, car and got a lousy response from Jaguar. He deserved far far better. In a way we're all getting no lurch or mostly smallish lurch partly because he fought and documented. (I'm not sure to what extent it was ZF's fault but hey he bought a Jaguar so they should've dealt with it.)

Old 09-01-2013 | 04:21 PM
Veteran member

Ive had my STR for quite a while now. Mine has the lurch, I have learned to deal with it. It has never given me an issue besides a gentle push when stopped. I have learned to not come to a complete stop before it "lurches". Other issues I've had, coil packs going back, window regulators breaking, hose under s/c, dccv, battery and coolant reservoir. Not once has the car left me stranded anywhere. Yes this cars can be expensive, but only because most people take them to the dealer. If you can fix the items, then it becomes much less expensive. There are great how-tos on this site to do so.

The following 2 users liked this post by Michael Star:
joycesjag (09-01-2013), speedwaymike (09-01-2013)
Old 09-01-2013 | 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Michael Star
Yes this cars can be expensive, but only because most people take them to the dealer. If you can fix the items, then it becomes much less expensive. There are great how-tos on this site to do so.
Well stated! And that is why "we" are here.

Old 09-01-2013 | 07:23 PM
|
Default Thanks All!!

I really appreciate you folks, and all the good advice. I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions once I acquire it. I'll get it Friday, barring any unknown issues with her. I'll let you know a week from Tuesday how things go. Have an appt with a neurosurgeon about an aneurysm on that Monday. Thanks for all the help, and best wishes, Mike.

Old 09-01-2013 | 08:44 PM
Veteran Member

These cars are awesome to drive! The '03 through '05 are the best equipped and engineered of the model run, IMO.

Old 09-02-2013 | 04:10 AM

Guess it's my turn to be the wet blanket. I would lean the other way - if you are not planning on addressing car problems yourself and don't want to spend an arm and a leg at a shop the car is probably not right for you. It's still an unknown car with high miles and one would need to be prepared for repairs - big and small. Unless you already have a good and cheap mechanic why take on something that will almost certainly need fixes - that's where would lean towards getting something that's easy to get repaired instead and is affordable to fix if needed. Just from appearances see a lot of relatively late model S-type's being parted out - they mostly still look great from the outside but are probably too expensive to repair - just my two cents.

Last edited by sjgh; 09-02-2013 at 04:24 AM.
speedwaymike (09-02-2013)
Old 09-02-2013 | 07:55 AM
|

Let me ask you this... I loved my XJ6, but she was getting old, (1996). What in you Guys opinion would be the least problematic Used Jaguar to Purchase? I'm trying to stay around $8k to $9k. Thanks again, Mike.

Old 09-02-2013 | 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

"Least problematic Jaguar"? That would be the newest one you can afford. Stay away from the X-Type. Many, many complaints about build quality over the years....

Seriously, if you are on a fixed budget, are not mechanically inclined, and cannot do the majority of the required maintenance and repairs yourself, I must caution you to think it through very carefully before purchasing an STR. Having to pay someone to keep it in proper operating condition can get very costly very quickly. If you're willing to use this forum as your primary guidance and do the necessary wrench-turning yourself, then the affordability factor gets much more favorable for you. Do plenty of research here before you decide whether to pull the trigger. Reading the FAQ sticky threads at the top of the S-Type forum is a must for you, ASAP....

Old 09-02-2013 | 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

My 2005 STR has an odd problem?? It seems to eat rear tires?? Maybe I like the POWER too much!

If you are not looking for a 400 HP car then don't look at an STR. They are NOT an economy car and the best advice you got above was DIY. I am picky and I have driven mine 60K of it's 93K miles so far and it the best car I have ever had!!

Keep up on the repairs and use this site to find out what the common problems are and VERY important where to get parts as it's not a common car at all. The car's are getting old and we have seen just about everything at this point.

It's the only way the purchase can work.

Old 09-02-2013 | 08:54 AM
|
Default Thanks!

I've also found a 2004 XJ8 4.2 with 116K miles for around the same price. Maybe a better choice for me? I can do some of the simple repair, but not equipped for tough jobs. Hate to be without a Jaguar. My first was a nice BRG XK150, that I sold for $850 in 1967. Darned sorry now! Later got a 1968 XKE Coupe 3.8 with 16000 miles. Sold her for a whopping $1800. If I had only known.... Thanks, Mike.

Old 09-02-2013 | 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

I gather from the S-Type forum that the STR's are far more powerful than my naturally aspirated 3.0L versions. I do not percieve that they are anymore reliable. Perchance, less so. Having said that, I can assure you that neither the 03 S-Type 3.0L, nor the 05 S-Type 3.0L in our stable has proven the match of my 1995 XJ-6.
2003 - Acquired in 2008 with 66k mi, now has 113k (I think - it's out-of-state) and its usage pattern was initially about 25 mi/day of 4 equal length segments - 90% hwy, 10% stop-n-go. Then about 25-30 mi/day consisting of 3-4 round trips/semester of 380 mi. one-way, mostly highway, sandwiched around 1/2 mi 1-way jaunts across campus (near daily) then 80 mi/day weekdays when she is home in the summer and working. The 80 mi/day usage has been it's most reliable segment
The 05; acquired in 09 with 25k mi on the clock, now sporting 88k, averages about 35-40 mi/day, call it 80% highway and 20% stop-n-go as the wife's commuter/kid school shuttle. Reliability has been on similar par to the daughter's 03 back when she was commuting to high-school in it.
My 95 XJ; acquired in 2010 with 63k mi on the clock, now at 139K, sees 100 mi/day commuting to FTW on weekdays, mostly rests on weekends save a run to B'port to shuttle a kid to a friend's or jaunt to church on Sunday if enough kids have shacked with friends that we don't need the Excursion for church. This works out to a daily avg of 73 mi/day.

You asked, so I'll take the bait - if I were you, I'd first look high and low for a well kept X300 in $4-$5k range (< or near 100k mi) with good paint and interior that could be brought back to snuff mechanically for about $7.5k total in it. The problem with the 04 XJ8 is you will eventually face the air-suspension demon. If you can get it for $2k-$2.5k less than it otherwise appears worth, then you've built-in some protection for that eventual failure to have someone fit the real spring kit from BritishParts or whomever it is that developed it. (yeah, likely $3k to purchase AND have it fitted, but that's like a $500-$800 repair on a $8k car vs. $3k if you don't discount it on the purchase price.
As the X300's continue to acquire age and use, and become more scarce, I guess my next recommendation for you would be an 02-03 XJR with evidence of latest valve-train items and metal wp impeller (not a Super V-8- leave those alone so there are more to choose from in 3-5 yrs when my X300 wears out)
While I remain unconvinced that an STR is more reliable than an S-T 3.0L, the guys on the X308 forum quickly convinced me of the relative merits of the supercharger over the naturally aspirated version of the same V-8 in that model. SC did not get VVT and has a stronger gearbox, among other things....and I'm not sure but I believe at least some of those attributes carry-over into the 04 and subsequent model - so if you continue to look at those, you may want to start thinking SC as well.

*+1 on John's suggestion to have the gearbox serviced after you get it home. I make it a practice not to do any significant work on a vehicle immediately prior to a long trip, especially involving the car's "life fluids" and that goes double for having it done at a shop you don't plan to be near anytime in the future.

Last edited by aholbro1; 09-02-2013 at 10:40 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by aholbro1:
Loved the girl (11-18-2018), speedwaymike (09-02-2013)
Old 09-02-2013 | 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by speedwaymike
I've also found a 2004 XJ8 4.2 with 116K miles for around the same price. Maybe a better choice for me? I can do some of the simple repair, but not equipped for tough jobs. Hate to be without a Jaguar. My first was a nice BRG XK150, that I sold for $850 in 1967. Darned sorry now! Later got a 1968 XKE Coupe 3.8 with 16000 miles. Sold her for a whopping $1800. If I had only known.... Thanks, Mike.
I would think that a 2003+ S-Type and 2003+ XJ8 would be similar in terms of reliability and maintenance needs? With the 4.2 NA V8 they are both good cars with lots of power and good fuel economy with the 6 speed trans. I reluctantly let go of my 2003 S-Type 4.2 after the front end was wrecked. I am now running a 2005 STR and am really enjoying it. Mileage went down 5-8 mpg and I suppose there is the additional maintenance liability of the supercharger but it is worth it for me.

Old 09-02-2013 | 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by speedwaymike
I can do some of the simple repair, but not equipped for tough jobs. Hate to be without a Jaguar. My first was a nice BRG XK150, that I sold for $850 in 1967. Darned sorry now! If I had only known....
Mike, we have much in common, check my avatar! Sold that beautiful XK150-S in 1969 for a measly $650. Darned sorry now! If I had only known....

My basic feeling is "go for it, don't settle for anything else but an STR". However, if your purchase budget is $8-9k, you must expect some not inconsiderable ongoing maintenance costs. With limited maintenance ability, you could be looking at $700-800/month including fuel, tires and insurance. Make sure you can live with that before you go there.

Old 09-02-2013 | 12:11 PM
|
Default Thanks Robin!!!

I think I'm going for it. Not counting Gas, Insurance and Tires I plan to set back $200 per month for Maint. Normal services doesn't worry me, its trans replacement, or engine going south are my main concerns. I've always loved English Cars. My first was at 13 yo. A '53 English Ford Zephyr. Later had a '62 Lotus super 7, Rover 2000TC, '65 Lotus Competitin Elan that I got at 21 yo through Fred Opert Racing in New Jersey, and had it shipped from England. Lots of MG's in between. I'll let you know when I get her, Mike.

Quick Reply: Nervous about a purchase..