S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nervous about a purchase..

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I've owned my Jag since November 2012 and have had a few problems. First the radiator, water pump and coolant tank were replaced luckily the dealer stepped up and did that. I had to have a coil changed and that cost a bit because the coils are costly.

The worse thing is I'm am scared to take the car on a trip. I live 1.5 hours from San Francisco and 2 hours from Reno and I am scared I will get stranded so I won't go in the Jag.

Whats really disappointing is all of the little electrical gremlins. This was a problem way back in the day for British cars and it seems it has not changed. I use the auto window down and sometimes the window goes half way down then back up again on its own. The auto memory seats down't always work. The unlock and lock switch on the dash does not always work. The window valet (door lock switch on dash) does not always work. The trunk lights sometimes come on other times not at all. Many times I have to unlock the car with the key because the remote unlock or lock does not work. The auto dim on the mirrors sometimes work.

I'm saying all that but, there is something about driving a Jag that feels right. The car is quiet, beautiful and has some decent power.

The following users liked this post:
speedwaymike (09-02-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

I'm just one data point: bought my STR 4 1/2 years ago, main fix has been DCCV and the RCCM (some DIY soldering). Have done 36000 miles from 65000 to 101K now. Tyres brakes etc aren't really cheap but then I knew that before I bought it! I'm hoping I can get more years of fun motoring from it. Has never left me stranded and touch wood won't. I recently bought a hefty battery but chose it in advance of strictly needing it to get a better price.

I suppose my biggest complaint is the other drivers on the road, especially those who haven't a clue how fast it can accelerate...

speedwaymike (09-03-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Received 252 Likes on 169 Posts

Not sure if I would be gambling on an STR purchase if I were to be in your shoes; the smart money would be on driving the XJ6 for a long time to come, if that's possible of course,

Otherwise, I made a pretty comprehensive post on what to look for when buying an STR here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...74/#post770622

Old 09-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by speedwaymike
I'm not much of a mechanic, and am retired on a fixed income. Really can't afford any $3k or $4K fixes.

This is generally not a good scenario for anyone seeking to buy a used high end car. Sooner or later they all wear out or break.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

+1

A plain jane car much lower in mileage and age may be a wiser buy. Not going to be a jag, though. Keep the XJ6 maybe?

Old 09-04-2013, 07:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Already sold the XJ6, and am just about to sell my Jeep. Not many low mileage Jaguars around here in my price range. My heart tells me to go for the STR, but common sense says no. Seems everything I find could be ready to explode,(ie Transmission, Air Suspension, Cooling System, etc). Totally confused. I guess I need to look for a good older car without computers, that can still be used as a driver, and also for occasional trips, but still sporty, and fun to drive. Don't want to change my name to "minivan mike"! Any ideas?, and Thank you all for the great advice, (most of the abbreviations were over my head though), Mike.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

No air susp on the S-Type.

Chances are that nothing bad will happen but you need to ask what you'd do if it did. I keep a contingency fund and could write off the car if I had to. I'm lucky to be able to say that I think.

speedwaymike (09-04-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,644 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Well...the 3.0L S-type is no slouch. Acceleration is almost on-par with your (former) XJ-6. Still the same niggling coolant-bottle issues and such as the STR but tires, brakes, (and fuel, depending on your driving habits) will be considerably less expensive. I still think you'd find happiness with an X308 (98-03 XJ - but beware the early models b/c cam tensioners, etc)

Old 09-04-2013, 10:19 AM

Already sold the XJ6, and am just about to sell my Jeep. Not many low mileage Jaguars around here in my price range. My heart tells me to go for the STR, but common sense says no. Seems everything I find could be ready to explode,(ie Transmission, Air Suspension, Cooling System, etc). Totally confused. I guess I need to look for a good older car without computers, that can still be used as a driver, and also for occasional trips, but still sporty, and fun to drive. Don't want to change my name to "minivan mike"! Any ideas?, and Thank you all for the great advice, (most of the abbreviations were over my head though), Mike.
Used S-types are the best value out there. Jags in general still suffer the stigma from the bad old days of British Leyland and Joseph Lucas and these cars change hands at a ridiculously low price as a result.

The problem is that a low entry fee in the same ballpark as a Honda Civic doesn't come with economy car repair prices or parts availability.

Gain on one hand, lose on the other.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:04 PM

Well, just returned from Portland, to Milton Freewater. A long trip for naught. The '03 STR had obviousley been ill cared for by the PO. Very tacky. Tried to look at another, a '01 4.0 non R, but it was out getting a new Cat. Conv. at 118K. No service records on her either. Guess I'll just have to keep looking. I really do appreciate all the good advice. Perhaps I'll try for an XJ8, or XJR. My only hold back, as I'm alone, is I don't really need that large of a car. Could get a '97 or '98 XK, but am really scared of that expense. I'll keep posting, and Thanks Again for your trouble, Mike.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

Don't get an S-Type built before 2003. You did the right thing by walking away if you weren't 100% sure about it. Be patient, the right one will show up.

The following 2 users liked this post by QuartzSTypeR:
Norri (09-08-2013), speedwaymike (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 03:59 AM
Veteran Member

Over here, XJR would cost more than STR and XKR more still so it would be an S-Type or nothing.

speedwaymike (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 07:48 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Strs seem really reliable from what I've seen and read. There's only a handful of engine failures which is probably due to poor maintenance and I've never herd of a tranny going completely out. I've herd of ppl getting them rebuilt because they felt it wasn't performing right. The hose under the sc is probably the biggest issue you'll possibly face. I've had my str for a year with not a single issue had 97k on it now. Before that I had a x-type for 3 years 80k-120k with only a battery failure.

speedwaymike (09-09-2013)
Old 09-09-2013, 02:01 PM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

I bought my 03 STR w/ 50k miles in October, 2010. THe only problems I have had were the dropping headlights (fixed with $0.25 worth of screws and advice from fellow members of this forum), coil packs, engine mounts, battery, EGR valve, coolant lines ($$$$$$$$), door lock actuator, and thats it really. I did not have so many issues with my previous cars (Mercedes', Subaru, Hondas, etc.) but it hasn't been outrageous. I have 80k miles now and feel my ride is as good as gold as of now.

Oh also I have had tabs in the interior break on me rather easily.

I would def check if coolant lines under the supercharger have been replaced. If not, I would probably stay away from it. That was a rather expensive fix in terms of labor costs.

For what its worth, if I could do it all over again I would still have purchased my STR. THe rush of the powerful engine is intoxicating. I used to think my previous Subaru WRX modded to full hilt was insanely quick in acceleration but this thing is an another league - probably a half a second to three-quarter of a second quicker to 60 given my mods. It dynoed same numbers as a Cherokee SRT8 with full exhaust mods, and that SUV is 420 hp out of the box. Where else can you get fast for so cheap? And the style is hot! And I've ran the 1/4 mile in 13.2 and thats with huge 19" wheels, half a tank full, heatsoak since I drove it all the way to the track, and my spare still in the trunk. Ten years ago you would have to pay Renntech some serious money to make a four door that fast.

Last edited by Under Pressure; 09-09-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:46 AM

Located a 2002 S Type, (non R), 4.0 with 110k miles. It's my least favorite color, Black, but looks good other than a few scratches and a rip in the drivers seat. I know someone told me here to avoid anything older than '03. I was wondering why that was? I'm making plans to go see and drive her in a few days. I know to check foir trans and coolant leaks, but anything special to watch for on an '02. No service history available. The rip in the seat in not on a seam, so should be an easy fix for an upholstery shop. Thanks, Mike.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,992 Likes on 2,127 Posts

Located a 2002 S Type, (non R), 4.0 with 110k miles. It's my least favorite color, Black, but looks good other than a few scratches and a rip in the drivers seat. I know someone told me here to avoid anything older than '03. I was wondering why that was? I'm making plans to go see and drive her in a few days. I know to check foir trans and coolant leaks, but anything special to watch for on an '02. No service history available. The rip in the seat in not on a seam, so should be an easy fix for an upholstery shop. Thanks, Mike.
The '03 and later is a redesigned car. The V8 version has a larger 4.2 L engne and a more efficient 6 speed transmission. There were hundreds of improvements to the car. Also, if it is an early build 2002, it may still have the tensioner issue...if that is the case the secondary tensioners replacement cost should be factored into the price.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 09-12-2013 at 07:11 AM.
speedwaymike (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
The '03 and later is a redesigned car. The V8 version has a larger 4.2 L engne and a more efficient 6 speed transmission. There were hundreds of improvements to the car. Also, if it is an early build 2002, it may still have the tensioner issue...if that is the case the secondary tensioners replacement cost should be factored into the price.
Yup. 2003 and up are less Fordish and more Jagish.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Received 182 Likes on 138 Posts

Hey Mike,

I still think you should consider an STR, but from '03 onwards. Hell, you only live once.

However, a 400 HP car costs over $60k new, and we are talking $9-10k. I think your original estimate of $200/month for maintenance might be a bit hopeful in year 1, so maybe $300. You don't come across as someone who plans to go screaming around at 5000 rpm.

Anyway, I do the odd bit of research on your behalf. Here's one in Reseda, California on eBay. At least the vendor has a 100% record.

But only 5 hours to go at the time of this post!

Jaguar : S-Type Type R | eBay

Old 09-12-2013, 07:06 PM

Hey Robin! Thanks Again, but I need to find something closer to home. I do however greatly appreciate your help, Mike.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Mike, I just live over the hill in Bend. I just traded a 2001 s-type in Portland for a 2007 S-type R. The 01 was plauged with problems to numerious to list but this 07 R type is so much tighter. I think all Jags are going to have some glitches just due to the amount of stuff they have. If you are coming to Bend any time in the future you are more than welcome to take my car for a drive. Like you I don't have a lot of desposable income but have decided it's funner to take a chance and live on the wild side.

speedwaymike (09-13-2013)

Quick Reply: Nervous about a purchase..