S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEVER BUY A JAGUAR

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 07:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NEVER BUY A JAGUAR

I take it you have a 2000 or 2001 S type. Had you been a member prior to buying your Jag instead of coming in and bitching about your poor selectionyou would have read about those years and been able to make a better decision. So blame yourself not the car. 2003 and newer Jagshave very few issues. by the way I have a 2000 S Type.
Oh! Welcome to the forum.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:35 AM
mep
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ditto.
I have a 2000 as well and I haven't had the tranny problems either.
The shifter......... Yes, but I replaced that myself - simple.

To alleviate the problem of shifting out of park, make sure you apply the emergency brake prior to shifting into park and releasing the brake pedal.

Have a nice day [:'(]

Old 07-31-2008, 11:59 AM

ORIGINAL: mep

Ditto.
I have a 2000 as well and I haven't had the tranny problems either.
The shifter......... Yes, but I replaced that myself - simple.

To alleviate the problem of shifting out of park, make sure you apply the emergency brake prior to shifting into park and releasing the brake pedal.

Have a nice day [:'(]
ditto to that ; I learned before I bought my S-type (thru research) that..

1) You never put your S-type inpark until you've applied the parking brake first.
2) That you can count on a number of repairs before the "bugs" are worked out. (points, headlights, liner, brakes...)

I've hated the repairs, but they weren't unexpected - but I still love my car, the comments people make about how beautiful it is, the great gas mileage on the 3.0 (21/29) and the smooth ride I get zooming down the Turnpike at 80 mph!

That said, I'm still not sure my next ride will be another Jaguar................

Old 07-31-2008, 12:15 PM

Yup, when everything is working the car is fantastic. I've had problems with other cars as well. OK, so maybe the window did not fall into the door and hide but, as they say **** happens. Everycar I have owned I engage emergancy brake than apply the park so wieght of the car is on the brake not tranny.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: KAZSAM

Yup, when everything is working the car is fantastic. I've had problems with other cars as well. OK, so maybe the window did not fall into the door and hide but, as they say **** happens. Everycar I have owned I engage emergancy brake than apply the park so wieght of the car is on the brake not tranny.
Highly agree

Old 08-01-2008, 12:50 AM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Dejinero never stated age, miles, condition of his recent purchase. No sympathy for a non CPO Jag or any other pre owned. Buyer beware especially if it was an auction car.

I purchased my 03 S type R from a Jag dealer with a CPO and never had a problem. I have an extended time warranty until 2010 (100K mi)!

As far as the tranny Jag purchases them from ZF a renouned manuf which is the same tranny in the BMWs.

Dejinero got what he paid for- an abused car.

He can also purchase a 3rd party extended warranty if he wants to stop bitching.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:46 PM

No matter what car you are thinking of getting, always do your homework for that specific vehicle before buying. I trip out when people do more research when buying a computer than they would when it comes to a car. The advice he/she should be giving is "Do your homework first!". Guess who loses for not knowing what he/she was getting into.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

i totally agree with type R...some people dont think about **** before they do it or just get the first one they see without checking it out....SUCKERS! esp. when you dont get it with a warranty....$2500 is pretty cheap actually...my first two vists to get the "bugs out" for a week each prob ran about $10,000 total but thats why I got one under warranty and have the CPO warranty for another year or 100k miles I would never touch a car without a warranty! after those 2 trips ive had hardly anythign wrong with mine and I LOVE IT! I WOULD NOT hesitate to buy another!

Old 08-02-2008, 05:46 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

I agree the warranty is your friendI just extended mine for another 2 years.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:45 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: dejinero

to anyone thinking about buying a jaguar, i would advice you to not buy one. i have only had this car for less than a year and already spent over $2500 getting things fixed here and there, and to top it off my gearbox just broke, and looking online you see a lot of complaints about this and many other things and instead of jaguar to have a recall on this sort of things jaguar would not. Worst car ever made no wonder that indian company bought 'em cause no one else will
[sm=badidea.gif]........ I don't understand why you post this here.......... most of us are owners and/or lovers of Jag's. We all know that nothing is perfect; we also know that you get what you pay for. you provide no facts or data; just a rant. We don't know what you bought, miles/condition,if you had a PPI, etc.

I've found this forum to be a great resource for technical support; and, because most are owners (unlike other forums) you can get feedback and thoughts from people who have 'been there and done that'.

I hope you get your problems sorted out and start to enjoy your Jag; or just sell it and move on. Life is too short.

good luck

Old 08-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was a bit worried before i bought my 01 S type but after reading the average problems I opted to buy the best aftermarket warranty possible. So IF i have any problems i should be covered.

I honestly couldn't be any happier with my Jaguar. People always say what a nice looking car it is and i haven't done anything to it aside from window tint and some darkening of the sidemarkers. I love my Jaguar. Next Jag purchace will be a used S type R if i can find a good enough deal on one.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same here. 3 time Jag. owner and I'd buy another one. I too have an aftermarket warranty. I do love these cars!!

Old 08-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As I've said before........I'd rather be standing by my Jag. waiting for a tow truck than drive any other car!!

Old 08-20-2008, 02:31 PM

HaHaHaHaHaHa! Badmojo, I love it! It's funny because it's true!!

-Scott

Old 08-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Haven't had a single problem with my 2001 S-Type. Had it for 8 months now. Personally, BMW, Jaguar, Porsche, and Mercedes all are expensive to fix. You should have the extra money to spend on it when it breaks. High class cars always take more and more money to repair and maintain not to mention 91+ octane. That being said, having these cars doesn't mean they won't break down. I second KAZSAM. Dejinero, you should have read the forums before buying. I have been reading the jaguarforums for 1 year 8 months prior to buying my 2001 S-type. I still went ahead and bought that year model. Not to mention I have 2,000 dollars stored for its maintenece. [/align]

Old 08-21-2008, 12:27 AM

Which companies offer this automotive service insurance and what are the terms, per mileage ?

Quick Reply: NEVER BUY A JAGUAR