S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEVER BUY A JAGUAR

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 07:37 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: NEVER BUY A JAGUAR

Carchex has contracts with certain garages all over the country. I imagine places like Midas, Meineke, Monro Mufflers. I am not really sure. I guess I should beat n my car and get back to you........

Old 09-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How can I get a warranty on mine? I just bought it used this week.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey quad 7, start a new thread that sez something like Just bought a Jag where can I get an extended warranty or something to that effect.Don't post a question fo warrantyin a thread that sez Never Buy A Jaguar[:@]
Thank you and have a good day

Old 09-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man I always miss the good stuff!

If you'd like aeneas if you'd like pm haro directly or as kazsam stated you can also start your own thread. Try to stay on topic (it doesn't always work as I'm sure you've noticed!)

Welcome to all...good points and nice job not getting on deji too hard core.

Deji- More information about your experience would help sway our thoughts on whether this is just a rant or an actual validated response to the car.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Aeneas

ORIGINAL: harounq21

Not sure Aeneas if you car will be covered. Carchex doesn't inspect the car. They simply take your VIN, region location, and driver infointo consideration before giving you a quote. Very good company to deal with.Check and see if they will warranty your ride.
If Carchex (or other such insurers) service-insures your car, do they allow you to take the car to any service shop ? Do they set limits on how much they will pay for particular repairs ? I cannot imagine they would recommend their insureds taking the car to the Dealership. The Dealership is the most wasteful place a vehicle could be taken, especially Jaguars.
lol as aquill said this thread has nothing to do with the warranty request so as much as id like to counterpoint this ill stop now [:@]

Old 09-29-2008, 06:33 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

hmmm nothing worse than someone buying a cheap Jag and thinking theyre cheap to repair. Parts and repair DO NOT get cheaper on ANY luxury car with age. And on the park pawl issue, it only will lock if you allow the vehicle to roll BACKWARDS against it. If you back in your driveway and put it in park and the car rolls fowards against the pawl it will not lock. Nor if on flat ground, jag has come out with several "fixes" but none have worked to my satisfaction as well as applying the parking brake before putting in park and taking your foot off the brake.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:53 AM

ORIGINAL: harounq21
If Carchex (or other such insurers) service-insures your car, do they allow you to take the car to any service shop ? Do they set limits on how much they will pay for particular repairs ? I cannot imagine they would recommend their insureds taking the car to the Dealership. The Dealership is the most wasteful place a vehicle could be taken, especially Jaguars.
hms sounds like someone had a bad experience, although a dealership is the most up to date on repairs, access to Jaguar factory hot line for problems, and if a part is put on to test a repair and thats not the problem it can be taken off and put back on the shelf, at an independant you bought the part wether fixes it or not. And since a dealer does charge more than independants upfront people assume a more expensive repair. But....if I know what your problem is based on years experience without having to diag I dont charge for it. so.let see @$115/hr dealer, @$90 independant you might end up like this
xj8/xk8 p0171, p0174, lean engine condition= mass air flow sensor .5 rnr dealer=$60
independant uh we think its a mass air flow sensor as whe checked for vacuum leaks 02 sensors, cleaned throttle body and flushed injectors and it still happens on drive cycle.
1/hr diag $90, injection flush service $150, rnr mass air flow $45 total excluding parts $285vs$60 labor for the repair.....hm now you know why I end up diagnosing problems for independant shop and they just tack on my fees to theirs for the customer, cause they many times do not have the constant day to day problems seen at a dealer...........***if youre an independant and know what your doing dont take this as inflamatory***......just many dont and we end up getting them later to fix erroneous repairs...and yes no ones perfect we all make mistakes it just chaps my *** to read this crap

Old 09-29-2008, 11:03 AM

I had completely the opposite experience in the San Diego dealership.
They wanted to 'fix' my instrument pack for $1500, when there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. I reset the electronics myself when I retrieved the car from them.
Places like Meineke are much more reliable, even though they do not see this car very often.
I stood under the car at the dealership talking with some of the 'experts'.
These dealership mechanics were a joke and knew less than the 3rd party mechanics.
And the dealership charges $134/hour, compared to $90/hour at places like Meineke, or $80 at other places.
I doubt the dealership is paying a proportionate amount of that high $134/hour to their mechanics to retain any good ones which come their way.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:19 AM

I had completely the opposite experience in the San Diego dealership.
They wanted to 'fix' my instrument pack for $1500, when there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. I reset the electronics myself when I retrieved the car from them.
Places like Meineke are much more reliable, even though they do not see this car very often.
I stood under the car at the dealership talking with some of the 'experts'.
These dealership mechanics were a joke and knew less than the 3rd party mechanics.
And the dealership charges $134/hour, compared to $90/hour at places like Meineke, or $80 at other places.
I doubt the dealership is paying a proportionate amount of that high $134/hour to their mechanics to retain any good ones which come their way.
Well you get that wherever you go, and I would like to get more of our $115/hr that we charge especially since I end up making less than lesser quality tech here that cant diag their ways out of wet paper bags. I end up with problematic cars, and they end up with easier work that makes them more money even though I make more per hour. Its the hours you turn, not really the pay per hour, and in many cases the more you know the less you make annually.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:19 PM

The dealership service shophas a basic built in conflict of interest against the customer: they sell parts. Thus, rather than Fix a problem in your car by reconnecting something which was loose (which is a harder diagnosis job requiring a higher skilled machanic), they are more likely to want to sell you parts in the process of 'fixing' the problem.
Perhaps the only way to eliminate this conflict would be a federal law to prevent dealerships from making any profit out of the sale of the parts.

If the dealership can pay mechanics less for lousy diagnosis work, and then make more money, replacing parts, what incentive does the dealership have to perform honest work ?
On the other hand, if you go to a 3rd party service shop like Meineke, they have to go to the dealership and pay them for the part.
Perhaps all service should be 3rd party.

In addition, while the car is under warranty, the customer does not care what and how many original parts in their car are replaced unnecessarily, since it costs the customer nothing.
Thus, the dealership service shop is accustomed to dealing with customers who do not mind the sloppy diagnosis job in dealership service, since it is the manufacturer being bankrupted.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:01 PM

WHILE YOU MAY THINK THAT, AND CAN UNDERSTAND YOUR THOUGHTS, MANUFACTURERS GET ALL PARTS BACK TO INVESATIGATE AND IF THEYRE FOUND TO NOT BE BAD, THE DEALERSHIP GET CHARGED BACK FOR NOT JUST THAT PART AND REPAIR, BUT THE ENTIRE TICKET CUSTOMER PAY AND WARRANTY REPAIRS. ANOTHER FAULT IS THE MANUFACTURER THEMSELVES IN THIS REGARD, MANY TIMES I FIX A PROBLEM THROUGH ADJUSTMENT, OR ANOTHER SIMPLE REPAIR, WELL SIMPLE AFTER YOU FIND IT. BUT THE MAN. DOES PAY FOR REPAIRS OR ADJUSTMENT AFTER THE 12/12 PERIOD, ESPECIALLY LIKE SQUEEKS AND RATTLES(DEALERSHIP, OUR AT LEAST OURSINTERNALS THIS TO PAY THE TECH) SO WHAT WOULD YOU DO AS A TECH? EAT YOUR LABOR, CHARGE THE CUSTOMER, OR FIND A PART TO REPLACE? AND THIS DOESNT HAPPEN DURING CUSTOMER PAY BECAUSE WE DO GET PAID FOR REPAIRS OR ADJUSTMENTS, WE HAVE NO INCENTIVE TO CHARGE OR INSTALL PARTS THAT ARENT NEEDED AS WE DONT GET PAID FOR A PART ONLY REPAIR TIME. PEOPLE THAT DO THIS DONT STAY LONG ANYWAY AND ARE FIRED. THE SERVICE ADVISORS ARENT PAID ON PARTS EITHER, SO THEY DONT HAVE INCENTIVE THERE EITHER

Old 09-29-2008, 02:21 PM

Interesting you mention that return of parts to the manufacturer, because some parts, and they told me that the Instrument Pack was one of them, are 'cored', meaning that the manufacturer takes back the original, dresses it up and then re-sells it.
In this scenario, the manufacturer could actually make money on the defraud of the customer, along with the dealership.

How many times do you know of that the manufacturer, upon receiving back the original part and determining fraud, has demanded a charge-back and refund to the customer ?
I never had that happen in any of my dealings with dealerships and know no other customer who was ever that fortunate.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:33 PM

okay first they take back I packs to investigate the failure, along with the manufacturer of the part for Jaguar, Jaguar doesnt make parts their suppliers do, they engineer their requirements to Jaguar spec. In the case of the Ipack what are you smoking? the mileage is burned in and cannot be changed, the i pack is toast, and we have toasted new ones with a communication error during programming, they cannot be fixed, theyre junk. not to mention all serial numbers are recorded and I have never seenan I pack come through with earlier SN or production dates than what Im working on. i meen really do you think if an engine goes out they pull a brand new one of the assembly line? Theyre factory rebuilt as are front air spring on 04^ xj8's and those are only th warranty ones. we have new ones but theyre more money. if you want to continue to try and bash dealers and or me fine, I dont get paid to be here...............................seya

Old 09-29-2008, 02:44 PM

The manufacturer/factory has the capability to rewrite the memory in the Instrument Pack, for instance, to change the odometer reading.
How else do you think they could sell the customer an Instrument Pack ? With 0 miles on a 2000 year car ?
No, they find out what the mileage is that you have and they write that into the Instrument Pack core (that they received from someone else),and send that to your dealership for installation in your car, for around $1500.

It is not a question of "bashing" anyone. This is simply the truth about what customers are up against. That is why good mechanics appearing on forums like this, whether dealership-based or not, are important.
Because dealing with the dealership, is a mine field.