Sponsored by:

New To This Forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2021 | 07:41 PM
|
Veteran Member
Default New To This Forum

Good Evening All,

This is my first post to this forum although I've been active for a few years on the XK8 and X-Type forums. I recently purchased a 2002 S-Type Sport with the 4.0 V8 and am still in the "honeymoon" phase. The car has 94,000 original miles and seems to be in very good condition. The previous owner had it for 11 years and recently passed away and . I purchased the car from his son. . I'm certainly no stranger to Jaguars, but, as you know, each model has its own learning curve. Unfortunately, Haynes doesn't have one of their excellent manuals for an S-Type which have proven invaluable for maintaining my two X-types. The JTIS manuals is of limited value being primarily suited to mechanics working at a dealership. Fortunately, the car has the same engine as my XK8 so there's some carryover of experience there.
My first order of business is getting additional keys. It only came with one meaning you are always one step away from an expensive solution should you lose the it. I live in Southeastern Pennsylvania and have not had any luck in finding someone who can cut and program a Tibbe key. If anyone out there knows of someone offering this service, I'd really appreciate a referral.. In another life I worked on Jags from the 50's through the 70's which is ofo limited value in working ono these later models. and am primarily limited not by lack of knolwedge, but the physical ability to do some of the more difficult work (approaching 80 this year). .
I look forward to hearing from people on this forum.

Regards,

Max

Old 08-02-2021 | 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Old 08-03-2021 | 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

#1 issue - check the chain tensioners!! Lots of threads all over about the 4.0...

Old 08-03-2021 | 03:55 PM
|
Veteran Member

Thanks Everyone,
Well aware of the chain tensioner issue; had them changed on my 2000 XK8 soon after purchase. Somewhere there's information on the manufacturing date when they started installing the updated tensioners, but I haven't found it as yet. With respect to the forum member making Tibbe keys, the last emails in that thread indicated some issues with programming. I wrote to him but have not heard back. In the interim I went to my local Jaguar dealer with my VIN# and got the Tibbe key code. Found a local locksmith who says he both cut the key and program it. I'll post the name and location if it works out (none of the dealers in my area have the equipment or the slightest interest cutting and programming keys.

Old 08-05-2021 | 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by max224
Thanks Everyone,
Well aware of the chain tensioner issue; had them changed on my 2000 XK8 soon after purchase. Somewhere there's information on the manufacturing date when they started installing the updated tensioners, but I haven't found it as yet. With respect to the forum member making Tibbe keys, the last emails in that thread indicated some issues with programming. I wrote to him but have not heard back. In the interim I went to my local Jaguar dealer with my VIN# and got the Tibbe key code. Found a local locksmith who says he both cut the key and program it. I'll post the name and location if it works out (none of the dealers in my area have the equipment or the slightest interest cutting and programming keys).
I'm glad to hear the tensioner issue(s) have been addressed as well as the keys.

Blessings to you and welcome to the Forum.

Old 08-05-2021 | 06:46 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Everyone,
Well aware of the chain tensioner issue; had them changed on my 2000 XK8 soon after purchase.
Almost certainly need them on the S-Type as well.

Old 08-05-2021 | 09:21 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Everyone,
Well aware of the chain tensioner issue; had them changed on my 2000 XK8 soon after purchase. Somewhere there's information on the manufacturing date when they started installing the updated tensioners, but I haven't found it as yet. With respect to the forum member making Tibbe keys, the last emails in that thread indicated some issues with programming. I wrote to him but have not heard back. In the interim I went to my local Jaguar dealer with my VIN# and got the Tibbe key code. Found a local locksmith who says he both cut the key and program it. I'll post the name and location if it works out (none of the dealers in my area have the equipment or the slightest interest cutting and programming keys.
I would write to scottjh9. He has some good experience about these keys. If the locksmith does not have the SDD/IDS Jag software, he is going to have trouble getting the keys to be programmed to the Jag. I would question how he is going to mate them with the specific Jag and see what he says about what software he is going to use.

Tom in Dallas/Plano
05 S-Type 3.0 120K.

Old 08-05-2021 | 02:05 PM
|
Veteran Member

Great idea, Tom; always an interesting journey when dealing with Jaguars!

Old 08-12-2021 | 07:11 PM
|
Veteran Member

UPDATE: Found a local locksmith with (claimed) experience in programming Jaguar keys; I only have one key and wanted a spare. I gave him the key code and he cut a key in a new integrated key/remote fob (the original key is separate from the remote). Even though his equipment says the key is programmed, it will turn in the iignition, but won't start the car. A P1260 code is thrown indicating a probelm with the key and the car's security system not being in agreement. The original key and remote still work perfectly. After an hour-and-half in the hot sun trying to program the new key, calling his equipment's tech support and contacting other locksmiths for help, he gave up and didn't charge me. In researching this problem on the forum, there was a suggestion that a hard reset might help (which I've done many times on all of my Jags),the idea was met with some resistance and I went hom. I would have preferred to try the gentleman in Las Vegas advertises in the Member Marketplace that he cuts and programs keys, but the idea of my only key getting lost in transit scares the hell out of me and the local Jaguar *******s don't provide this service for older models. .

Some questions:
Can a key be programmed with commerically-available equipment or do you have to use Jaguar soft ware?
Do I have to use a separate key and remote or will the newer integrated fobs work?
Anyone know someone in Souheastern Pennsylvania I can contact; this relatively common job should not be all this difficult.

Thanks,

Max

Old 08-12-2021 | 08:07 PM
Veteran Member

UPDATE: Found a local locksmith with (claimed) experience in programming Jaguar keys; I only have one key and wanted a spare. I gave him the key code and he cut a key in a new integrated key/remote fob (the original key is separate from the remote). Even though his equipment says the key is programmed, it will turn in the iignition, but won't start the car. A P1260 code is thrown indicating a probelm with the key and the car's security system not being in agreement. The original key and remote still work perfectly. After an hour-and-half in the hot sun trying to program the new key, calling his equipment's tech support and contacting other locksmiths for help, he gave up and didn't charge me. In researching this problem on the forum, there was a suggestion that a hard reset might help (which I've done many times on all of my Jags),the idea was met with some resistance and I went hom. I would have preferred to try the gentleman in Las Vegas advertises in the Member Marketplace that he cuts and programs keys, but the idea of my only key getting lost in transit scares the hell out of me and the local Jaguar *******s don't provide this service for older models. .

Some questions:
Can a key be programmed with commerically-available equipment or do you have to use Jaguar soft ware?
Do I have to use a separate key and remote or will the newer integrated fobs work?
Anyone know someone in Souheastern Pennsylvania I can contact; this relatively common job should not be all this difficult.

Thanks,

Max
Get a copy of the SDD/IDS> That is your best bet and then communicate with scottjh9, Motorcarman, NBcat or Brutal and you will be in like flint.

TBB

Old 08-13-2021 | 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Agreed. I have added keys and it will require the SDD and someone experienced in doing this. Please be aware having only one key is very dangerous and will lead to an expensive fix eventually. I got new uncut keys off EBay for around $15 each including new FOB's (Note these are all chinese made). Are you aware that the keys and FOB's are two separate items and need to be programmed separately?

The problem is with only one key ALL keys will need to be erased before you can add any back in. So if something goes wrong you will have a car with absolutely no way to start it! It's a bit hair raising for sure the first time you do it! Even SDD has big capital red letters on the screen before you erase all keys asking you if you want to proceed. Scary for sure!

The following users liked this post:
jazzwineman (08-13-2021)
Old 08-13-2021 | 04:20 PM
|
Veteran Member

I agree wity clubairth1; trying to operate new software can be a painful learning process. The locksmith who worked on programming a new key yesterday was told by another locksmith that the existing key had to be erased before another one could be added. He was willing to go ahead with that, but the potential for an epic disaster scared me off. The same goes for me purchasing and trying to use the SDD software is akin to performing liver surgery on oneself from my perspective. Unfortunately, that still leaves me back at square one in getting a second key made. Is there really no practical solution for this?

Old 08-15-2021 | 10:25 AM
Veteran Member

You could call your local Jaguar dealer and see what they want to do it? What I found is they want to use Jaguar purchased key blanks which adds a LOT of cost! Usually it's way to much but I know what your feeling and it took me 3 tries of staring at the SDD screen warning before I plunged ahead.

I did not mention it but I had some kind of glitch when programming the first new key after erasing all the keys. I think I got confused because there is a lot of insert key turn and turn off stuff before the key is programmed. Had to stop and reboot SDD and start over again. For about 45 minutes I had a car with no keys attached!!

But SDD picked up right where I stopped and I added the 2 new keys and while I was there I also added back in the one original key we started with.
Note I also had trouble finding someone to cut the Tibbe key. Jaguar would cut my aftermarket Tibbe keys BUT I had to provide proof of ownership before they would do it. Now this was a bit of a problem because this was a friends car and it was not registered to me. Finally got a notarized letter from the owner granting me permission which I showed to the Jaguar dealer. 25 minutes later I had 2 brand new properly cut keys that still needed programming.

Surprisingly it was only $15 to have them cut 2 keys. I expected it to be more. So first get the Tibbe key blank. Then cut the key. Now the key will turn the ignition switch but won't start the car until it's programmed or married to the car.

The following users liked this post:
jazzwineman (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021 | 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

none of the dealers in my area have the equipment or the slightest interest cutting and programming keys.
Have you considered expanding your search area to find a dealership willing to help? Rather than jump through all the hoops and procuring the material and software yourself, there's got to be a capable dealership within a day or two's drive. Pack an overnight bag, make a little road trip in your exquisite motorcar, and enjoy yourself. Bonus points if you can find a scenic destination.

Old 08-15-2021 | 01:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kr98664
Have you considered expanding your search area to find a dealership willing to help? Rather than jump through all the hoops and procuring the material and software yourself, there's got to be a capable dealership within a day or two's drive. Pack an overnight bag, make a little road trip in your exquisite motorcar, and enjoy yourself. Bonus points if you can find a scenic destination.
That makes much sense. He will have to wait to get the software, wait for the Mongoose cable, have the right software load on a laptop and have to go through a learning process to get it all done. If something were to go wrong, since he would be new at using the SDD/IDS software, then he could have worse troubles. Of course in the long run if he wants to keep Jags, learning the software could be valuable.

This would appear to be close to him. https://www.jaguarwestchester.com/ne...mpaign=gmbmenu

There is possibly an Indy Jag person/shop that would have the software- he doesn't need the newest for his model car that can do the job for him.

Tom in Dallas/Plano.

Last edited by jazzwineman; 08-15-2021 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-16-2021 | 08:35 AM
Veteran Member

Or do it by mail order? If you do some more reading you will be able to decode the Tibbe key code from your original key. With that code you can get the correct key cut.
Decode Tibbe Key

Attached are some instructions I found useful when I was learning how to add keys.

Old 08-16-2021 | 09:20 PM
|
Veteran Member

Thanks for all of those suggestions! I live in West Chester, PA and there are three dealers within a comfortable driving distance who are willing to cut the key (I got the Tibbe code for my car by providing my VIN), I couldn't get any of them to commit to programming a key however (I do like the idea of a road trip through scenic country to a dealer who can do the job). As far as other options go, getting the software and attempting to do this on my own is costly and challenging, but the downside risk of screwing it up and ending up with NO keys that work is pretty scary. The local dealer in West Chester that was suggested says they don't have the equipment to program keys and sends them out to a company facility in North Jersey. The mail order option doesn't sound bad, but whoever did the programming would apparently need access to the car.

The locksmith I mentioned in my previous post was able to cut a key that would turn in the ignition, the programming was where we had a problem (I wasn't willing to let him try to erase the original key and re-program it and an additional key for fear of being stranded). Thanks to all of the forum members who provided valuable additional information, I now know that that is the only way to go since the system won't let you add an additional key without already having two working keys (who designed that system anyway?). The locksmith is using a professional key programming device called "Smart Pro" costing around $ 4,000 which kept insisting that the key was programmed bu still wouldn't work. I'm now considering going back to him and going the "erase and re-program" option since it seems, by popular opinion, to be the only choice I have.
I'll keep you informed.

Old 08-16-2021 | 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for all of those suggestions! I live in West Chester, PA and there are three dealers within a comfortable driving distance who are willing to cut the key (I got the Tibbe code for my car by providing my VIN), I couldn't get any of them to commit to programming a key however (I do like the idea of a road trip through scenic country to a dealer who can do the job). As far as other options go, getting the software and attempting to do this on my own is costly and challenging, but the downside risk of screwing it up and ending up with NO keys that work is pretty scary. The local dealer in West Chester that was suggested says they don't have the equipment to program keys and sends them out to a company facility in North Jersey. The mail order option doesn't sound bad, but whoever did the programming would apparently need access to the car.

The locksmith I mentioned in my previous post was able to cut a key that would turn in the ignition, the programming was where we had a problem (I wasn't willing to let him try to erase the original key and re-program it and an additional key for fear of being stranded). Thanks to all of the forum members who provided valuable additional information, I now know that that is the only way to go since the system won't let you add an additional key without already having two working keys (who designed that system anyway?). The locksmith is using a professional key programming device called "Smart Pro" costing around $ 4,000 which kept insisting that the key was programmed bu still wouldn't work. I'm now considering going back to him and going the "erase and re-program" option since it seems, by popular opinion, to be the only choice I have.
I'll keep you informed.
He was probably coming across the same thing that clubairth1
was referring to. I would print out the 2 attachments he included and take them to the locksmith.

Did you ever have a Valet key for the car? Did he attach a battery maintainer to the car? The voltage has to stay up to program.

Good luck.

Let us know.

TBB

Old 08-17-2021 | 01:54 PM
|
Veteran Member

I got a green valet key with the car, but it won't turn in the ignition slot and I have no idea if it's even for this car. I replaced the battery right after I bought it, approximately three weeks ago so I doubt that that's the problem. I'm printing out the two PDF's that clubairth1 kindly provided and will see if helps the situation. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 08-18-2021 | 06:30 PM
|
Veteran Member

Returned to the locksmith today for another go at it. He tried three different key programmers and they all said "cannot communicate with ECU". along with other failuure codes. Apparently, it's possible to copy the key for an X-Type but, per his fellow locksmiths, the S-Type is a different animal and is a real PIA for them. He had already cut a new key in a fob for the project so I purchased it from him and made an appointment with my local dealer. With my providing the key, the programming cost is $ 175 and I can sit and wait for it. Doesn't give me a great feeling about the self-serving engineering that went into designing the S-Type security system.

Quick Reply: New To This Forum