S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

That's why I like this forum, you learn something new every day.

But what I suspect really happens is engine overheats, damage gets done, needle then goes to red, then cylinders shut down. Lol.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let try a show and tell, new to site and posting pix sorry if I wait your space.

pix 1 is drip stick over filled with oil not water
pix 2 throttle body
pix 3 throttle body under pressure
pix 4 upper intake draining
pix 5 lower intake

Attached Thumbnails new member-dip-stick.jpg   new member-tb.jpg   new member-tb-under-pressure.jpg   new member-upper-intake.jpg   new member-lower-intake1.jpg  

Last edited by drowssap; 06-18-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:31 AM

has anyone had the vehicle go into Fail Safe Cooling System mode? and is there some way it has to be reset before the engine will start again?

Old 06-18-2013, 08:49 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Thanks for that. It appears that the system might not be applicable to the V8 engine- or my copy of JTIS is lacking.

Originally Posted by drowssap
"you really should download a copy of JTIS and do lots of reading"

Fail Safe Cooling System

A unique feature of the V6 engine is the use of a fail safe cooling strategy, controlled by the EMS, in the

event of coolant loss leading to rising engine temperatures. The principle of the strategy involves

switching off one or more fuel injectors to inhibit combustion and reduce heat, thus allowing the flow of

ambient intake air to further cool the selected cylinders. By cycling the selected cylinders, ie switching

different injectors off for a period and in a sequence determined by EMS parameters, overall engine

temperature can be controlled sufficiently to allow the vehicle to be driven, at reduced power, for a

short distance. Throughout the malfunction period, instrument panel messages and warnings advise the

driver of the current status of the cooling system as described below.

Driver Indication and EMS Action

The fail safe strategy moves though different stages depending on engine temperature:

¥ Temperatures below 122û C (250û F) are within the normal range. At high temperatures below this

level the temperature gauge pointer enters the red zone.

¥ If the temperature rises to between 122û C - 127û C (250û F to 260û F) no action is taken by the EMS

which affects engine running but the following indications appear:

Temperature gauge pointer in red zone

Message Centre HIGH ENGINE TEMPERATURE

Warning light TEMP

Priority light red

Audible indicator single chime sounded

¥ If the temperature rises to 127û C (260û F) or above, the fail safe strategy operates. At 127û C (260û F),

the EMS will cut out one cylinder (the selected cylinder is varied) and as the temperature continues

to rise, this will increase to a maximum of three cylinders cut (with cylinder cycling). The following

indications are given:

Message Centre ENGINE POWER REDUCED

Warning light TEMP

Priority light red

Audible indicator three chimes sounded

¥ At 166û C (300û F) or above, the fail safe strategy continues as described but the following

indications are given:

Message Centre PULL OFF ROAD SAFELY alternates with TURN OFF IGNITION

Warning light TEMP flashes

Priority light red

Audible indicator five chimes sounded

¥ EMS shuts the engine down.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

One of the problems with the jag is the temp gauge is not a true representation of temperature, the can be massive variations in temp and the needle will stay in the middle, it was designed thus way as focus groups showed temp needle movement worried the average driver.

Another problem is the temp gauge sensor is at the top of the engine so if you lose enough coolant the is not enough to transfer the heat to the sensor and you have a cooked engine before you know it, the is a low coolant warning but again, this sometimes gets ignored or doesn't work correctly.

In short I suspect by the time cylinders start getting shut down the damage has already been done

Old 06-18-2013, 09:00 AM

pretty much the same as a LR's temp gauge "useless" they either read cold or melt down anything in between is normal.

I do another question for any body or there on picture #3 that coolant is actually pouring down from the top of the throttle body, the coolant appear to be running into the plunum from the recovery bottle vent?

Old 06-18-2013, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by police666

In short I suspect by the time cylinders start getting shut down the damage has already been done
I think you're right and the description also infers that the car can only be driven a short distance with all sorts of dire warnings flashing in the driver's face.

Sort of an academic exercise in the OP's case, the engine obviously has some serious damage given the pictures.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:26 AM

it appear that is how the system work, but if your under the hood pressure testing, it hard to see those lights.

But even with the all spark plugs out it will not bump over? which makes no sense.
I am rethinking the hydro-lock? I'm starting to think it shut off on fail safe cooling mode, because when it stopped, it just stopped didn't cough or fart just stopped running.
I believe the motor was filled with water from pressure testing after as I said earlier when pressure testing water just pours out top the top of the throttle body heater from what appears to be the cooling reservoir return line.
ideas?

Last edited by drowssap; 06-18-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

With no plugs in can't be hydro lock, I'd go for flat battery or pats system locking you out, also without the throttle body on it might not turn over as the jag does all sorts of electronic checks prior to turning over.

Check with other more knowledgeable than me but it my be possible to jump the stater to get it to turn over.

Last edited by police666; 06-18-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:00 AM

I have no idea why you're still trying to turn it over. This risks making things worse.

Either take it apart to find out what's gone wrong or just swap the engine for the spare you've found.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:05 AM

it has to be some system control locking it out, the battery in a few months old and I had charged set at a 200amp start mode and I still got nothing.

I am guess that once it goes into safe mode, you must have to reset something.
But I don't see anything in the manual about resetting the ems, perhaps the use the vehicle arm/antitheft system to shut it down?

I be dumb once again what does pats system stand for?

Old 06-18-2013, 10:15 AM

Mikey,

"Either take it apart to find out what's gone wrong or just swap the engine for the spare you've found."

And what if I do swap the motor out, it still does not explain why water is pour from the top of the throttle body or why it wont crank.

I think I would want to find the problem before I take the time swap the motor, also as you said it probably already hurt and I don't see what damage can be done cranking it with no plugs or intake.

but thanks

Old 06-18-2013, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by drowssap
Mikey,

I think I would want to find the problem before I take the time swap the motor, also as you said it probably already hurt and I don't see what damage can be done cranking it with no plugs or intake.
That's why you need to take it apart. You're going in circles with it right now.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:54 AM

thanks but until I can figure out how coolant can pour into the top of the plenum while being pressure tested, and why it will not crank I will keep going in circles.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:23 AM

There is apparently a leak path from the cooling system into one or more combustion chambers. If an intake valve is open, any fluid pushed into the cylinder will flow back out the intake.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:42 AM

I believe you are misunderstanding me the water did not come back up the plenum. it rain straight down from the top of the intake.

I stuck my finger in the hole it was backing up from the recovery tank. in the 2nd picture it is the hose on top to the right.

I know in the pix it look like it is on the floor of the intake it isn't, it hard to pump and take a pix at the same time.

I "believe" hydro lock was never a problem. I think all that water got in there while pressure testing after it cut out on safe mode.

Don't forget I my first post I said I was running it without a belt to eliminate any of the accessory pumps as a cause of the noise.
So no belt, no water pump, engine acts like a heat sink and goes high enough to trip safe mode.

Attached Thumbnails new member-dscn0173.jpg   new member-dscn0175.jpg  
Old 06-18-2013, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

It will probably not crank as you have removed the throttle body, I might be wrong but I'm sure I read somewhere the throttle body and gas pedal have to have the same reading.

Another thing to check is the pats, check the red light on the dash and count the flashes

Old 06-18-2013, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

I think it looks at the CHTs and sees it overheating so shuts down cylinders.
V6 petrol, only.
Has to be chancey as to whether it prevents damage.

Only thing needing a reset could be inertia switch. Not the PCM (aka ECM, it's not really EMS but hey no-one sticks to standards).

Old 06-18-2013, 12:06 PM

but it was doing the same thing before I removed the TB, but the TB did have water in it?

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that this car does not need a head gasket or more, what I am saying is I believe I drowned the engine in water pressure testing after it cut out.

The not cranking is the part that gets me, that was my original thought on the hydro-lock, but I do not believe that is that case any longer.

I wonder if it was running long enough to store and codes?

I will check the light on the dash tonight and get back,

Thanks for letting me bounce ideas around

Old 06-18-2013, 12:08 PM

Jagv8,

would it not still crank if it were the inertia switch?

when it stopped it did just that stopped did not starve for fuel, did not make noise, just lights out.

Last edited by drowssap; 06-18-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Quick Reply: new member